steven01
Tmurdock

Technology is hindering American work ethic

Tmurdock

steven01

Pro

I will be arguing that technology is hindering American work ethic. Which means people are spending to much time playing games when they should be doing something productive. Definitions: if a definition is asked for then give it to them in the comment section.
Rules:
Rules:
1.) Round One is for acceptance
2.) A forfeit of concession will not be allowed
3.) All arguments and sources shall be posted in the round. If challenger does not have enough characters, send them in a outside link.
4.) Debate resolution, definitions, and rules can not be changed.
5.) Only 10 cross x questions allowed for both sides.
6.) optional must give clear road map and go in that order.
Debate Structure:
Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Presenting all arguments
Round 3: Asking cross examination questions
Round 4: Answers to cross x questions
Round 5: Rebuttals (no new arguments)
Good luck.
Tmurdock

Con

I accept all terms listed by the pro. With that let the debate begin!
steven01

Pro

First off I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this challenge and good luck.
1. American work ethic is being hindered. Kids are playing on their phones or other tech. devices when they should be doing their homework. Adults are also being hindered by tech. Adults are not on task when they are playing games, causing projects to be late.

2. To solve the kids problem parents should limit their screen time to make the kids do homework. Finished homework= better grades. To solve the adults problem the company should filter sites they can be on and take away their phones when the workers come, and return the phones after the workers leave.
Tmurdock

Con

intro: My cell phone is my best friend. It's my lifeline to the outside world.
Carrie Underwood

1. Why children need cell phone. Some of the best reasons come from a news report in the link below.
http://ireport.cnn.com...

2. How these phones and electronics help the classroom. Read the story on the link below.
http://www.usatoday.com...

3. How lawyers see it. You know what to do.
http://education-law.lawyers.com...

conclusion: cell phones help and are needed. Please side with me!
steven01

Pro

cross x time
1. What would happen if children don't do their homework?
2. What if the kids were caught with their phones?
3. Would kids pay attention if they are playing with tech?
That is all
To be clear challenger will ask questions too.
Tmurdock

Con

my questions are:
1. Do you have actual sources
2. If so will you please share them
3. What makes you think people will be playing video games on their phone?
4. If people need a break should they be allowed to play video games for 10 minutes?
5. If you take property from someone is that not stealing therefore breaking a law?
hope to answer your questions soon and see the answers I need.
steven01

Pro

No i do not have a source but i used past experiences and common sence.
3rd question I think people play games on their phones because most of my classmates and friends are waiting to do homework the next day or at the last minute before school.
4th questions yes people can take 10 minute breaks but my point is some people take longer breaks than necessary
Last question it is just consfiscating like you are being grounded not stealing.
I look forward to my opponent's answers
Tmurdock

Con

1. if children don't do their homework they would have to do it later or fail the class
2. most likely confiscated or ignored
3. yes if asked in the right way
steven01

Pro

In my final round I would like to say that the challenger said that the kids would have to their homework later or fail the class, that's my point because they put it off until the last minute and the make up answers. I would like to say that the challenge agrees with phones being confiscated with the way he answered my 2nd question. In my first speech I said to fix this problem parents/employers must confiscate phones so they kids/employees can stay on task. So I believe that flows to my side. While some technology does help with learning, I believe that sometimes kids play games. I know that was not clear so here's an example. In my English class the room is very comfortable. We use chrome books to do everything because the teacher is pretty much paperless. While the teacher is talking or we're suppose to be typing a paper or doing a English lesson kids are playing games.

To wrap this up I would like to thank my opponent for debating me on my first finished debate on here and it's been a good time. So, again thanks.
Tmurdock

Con

my final thoughts on why you should vote for me are like this.
1. kids are sneaky devils. They are smart enough not to get caught.
2. My opponent talked about their teacher not using paper so my final question is this. Why get rid of technology when schools are making it a part of the curriculum and doing away with paper textbooks and so forth?
Vote for me!
Vote Placed by Sarai.K82 1 year ago
Sarai.K82
steven01TmurdockTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were primarily anecdotal. Con did a decent job pointing out the benefits of technology. Pro didn't really counter the usefulness of technology to most of the work force even though some may find it a hindrance. I found on balance con was more convincing and had more reliable sources.