DJDialUp
Zaradi

Technology is killing everything, including technology.

Zaradi
Started: 4/4/2012 Category: Technology

DJDialUp

Pro

Show me something its NOT killing, and I'll show you that you're wrong.
Zaradi

Con

Sounds like fun.
But I'd like to point out that the burden of proof for this debate rests on my opponent, as he must prove that technology is killing EVERYTHING. If I can prove even one thing that technology ISN'T killing, then you vote con off the resolution.

As the BOP is on my opponent, I await his case as to why technology is killing everything.
DJDialUp

Pro

Alright, for the sake of the BOP...advances in technology, including the development of things that make air pollutants are killing me, or my perception of me, and my perception is my reality, which our brains tell us, is everything. Its a cop-out that can cover everything, but give me a subject, and I won't use it again. Maybe technology is the wrong word for this debate...I'm sticking to it though.
Zaradi

Con

"advances in technology, including the development of things that make air pollutants are killing me..."

This assumes that the technology is actually what is polluting the world, which is false. Greenhouse gasses are polluting the world, thus making it the Greenhouse gasses that are killing us.

As my opponent really doesn't supply any other argument aside from that, I'll posit my own contention.

I contend that technology is not killing me. Me is defined as the DDO user named Zaradi (a.k.a myself). I can attest for this since I am currently using a piece of technology (i.e. my laptop), and it is not trying to kill me as I am doing this. Thus, technology cannot be killing EVERYTHING, since it is not killing me.

Since I disproved my opponent's BOP, you negate.
DJDialUp

Pro

So...your laptop is definitely killing you, albeit slowly. Studies show that the more screens we look at, the worse our eyes become. Your eyes are a part of you, and anything that hurts you is killing you, since bodily damage has a negative impact on your immune system, and less good stuff in your body can do less...good stuff for your body. Ergonomic issues with most standard keyboards can draw the same conclusion. If you're using it on your lap (if you're a dude), you're most likely decreasing your sperm count, which, when added up, is actually helping to kill the entire human race, as well. Most of this is extrapolation, but that's what time is, and why technology is killING everything.

I should have come up with some examples myself, but I'm still new enough to use the "I'm new" excuse...so here are some reasons why technology is killing the essence of four topics from the forum:

Technology is killing the arts, because technology is killing creativity, and the arts MEAN creativity. By stream lining everything we use and do, like making cars that are also phones, or phones that are also TVs, technology is funneling our creative process (really, ANY process) into the same process. I don't have to solve the problem of reaching my friends to hang out because the solution is a button. I don't have to solve the problem of finding a restaurant near me, because the solution is a button. Creative solutions have been known to create ideas, tools, moods, passions, everything. Creativity still exists, but in much smaller quantities, since most mediums can be digitally created. With a button. When everything is this easy to make, the drive to actually make it goes away, and, like all muscles, the brain (center of creativity) atrophies with decreased use. So, the less creative technology allows us to be, the less creative we're able to be. Really, the monster that the Internet has unstoppably become represents the inevitable death of creativity all by itself.

Technology is killing economics, or at least economies, by making it easier to trade things that shouldn't be traded. Like, in America's case, nothing, or the projection of money and assets. This is another "technology=computers" one, but it kind of does.

Technology is killing our personal lives. Status updates, wall posts, tweets, all make it easier for you and I to be like everyone else, killing our individual personalities.

Technology is killing entertainment in the same way that its killing creativity, which was argued above.

Also, exhaust from an increased number of vehicles (exponentially increased due, in large part, to more advanced technologies which make the production of these vehicles easier and faster) directly pollute the air I breath before any parts reach the upper atmosphere (greenhouse gas territory), and help to kill me directly.
Zaradi

Con

"Your eyes are a part of you, and anything that hurts you is killing you"

If this was true, then stubbing my toe accidently into a wall is killing me. Or accidently cutting myself while shaving is killing me. Because anything that hurts me is killing me! Also, since he doesn't specify what he means by 'hurt', this could also mean that someone yelling at me in a derrogatory manner is killing me. None of the examples I provided above, which proves his theory to be false.

"you're most likely decreasing your sperm count"

Okay, I would love to see how using a laptop leads to lower sperm count levels. The warrant for this argument was never provided from my opponent. It's just not a true argument.

Since I'm effectively defending that technology is not killing me, then we can negate the resolution right here. But to take it a step further, let's look at some of the examples he provided.

"Technology is killing economics...by making it easier to trade things"

This is blatantly false. If technology is making things easier to trade, then that's actually HELPING the economy by giving us added sources of income and revenue, which gives us more money and benefits our economy. So technology isn't killing this.

"Technology is killing our personal lives."

False, technology actually allows us to express our personal lives much more effectively than before. Where it used to be that you would have to write a letter to someone you wanted to talk to, or have to hunt them down yourself, if you wanted to tell them something, now all you have to do is call them or send them a text message, and you're already communicating. This allows our personal lives to function on a higher and better level than before. So technology isn't killing this either.

"exhaust from an increased number of vehicles....directly pollute the air"

Fine, but I already talked about this last round and you never responded to this. That's not technology killing us, that's greenhouse gasses and pollutants killing us. It's like saying that hydrogen gas is technology, which is false since it's a gas.

So the round breaks down really simply. My opponent had to defend how technology is killing EVERYTHING. So far, he's failing to show how technology kills me, economies, personal lives, and even my opponent directly. That's four things that technology isn't killing. Thus, technology can't be killing EVERYTHING, so you negate.
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
Lol @ Roy's RFD
Posted by Zaradi 5 years ago
Zaradi
Eh, didn't feel like trolling
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
lol, Zaradi, you should have just said that technology can't kill technology, because technology is not a living thing and cannot be killed.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
DJDialUpZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's Pro's responsibility to make a clear resolution, and he was incoherent. Pro's few specifics late in the debate where easily refuted by Con. It might have been an interesting debate if Pro put his specifics in the first round so it could be like a ... debate.
Vote Placed by Travniki 5 years ago
Travniki
DJDialUpZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had a huge burden, and not suprisingly Con made it impossible to support that burden
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
DJDialUpZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Technology doesnt kill my ability to troll the internet, in fact technology has strengthened such abilities >:)
Vote Placed by Stephen_Hawkins 5 years ago
Stephen_Hawkins
DJDialUpZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Do I need to justify this? Zaradi showed technology doesn't kill everything.