Technology is making humans more sociable.

Started: 2/11/2015 Category: Technology

Technology is making humans more sociable because even 100 years ago, one would have to write a letter to someone and it would take weeks to reach him or her.

If we go even further back, to the ancient times, many civilizations were pre-literate and one would have to verbally communicate.

As we progress, technology has made us more sociable.

In today's day in age, if I want to communicate with someone across the planet, I can do so in seconds by the means of the Internet.

Even the wheel is technology. It has helped humans travel and therefore become more sociable.

I can see why you'll think that technology is bringing us closer together as a whole, but what about between individuals? Though I may be able to hear a voice or see a face on a screen, I cannot get the full range of emotions and thoughts of the other person. The human body use a vast array of body language and facial expression to help deliver an emotion that is to be perceived a certain way. There are about 43 facial muscles that help us communicate our thoughts and emotions in ways that technology cannot express. A text message cannot show a sarcastic tone accurately and a skype call cannot let us see the full range of the others body language. Even as it might seem that technology is bringing us together, it might actually be spreading us farther apart.

You make a valid point.
However there are two things I have to say:

1) Technology is not limited to the internet.

1. the application of scientific knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry.
Even the wheel was technology, and it has allowed us to travel and therefore communicate with others.

2) How technology is making humans more sociable:
G2; s!3;SHəb(ə)l/
  1. willing to talk and engage in activities with other people; friendly.
I am almost sure that the ease of pushing a switch and getting the message across is quite more convienient than walking everywhere or writing letters, so that makes humans more willing to talk and engage in activities. You might say that humans can not perform all activities. However, according to the definition of activity, it is just the condition of something happening.

The ease of communicating the message usually has little to no bearing on the accuracy of said message. Yes, technology can make it easier for us to communicate across greater distances and at a greater speeds, but where is the interpersonal communication? Would you rather be speaking to a relative or spouse across the nation over the phone or be right next to each other? To understand the point I'm trying to make you first have to look at what being social really is. states that to be social one must seek and enjoy the company of others, so what do we perceive as company? Being miles apart or being right there next to the person? Technology is slowly disconnecting these interpersonal bonds and replacing them with bonds that contain little to no empathy or realism. That is where technology is not making us more sociable, quite the opposite actually.

raghav_patel forfeited this round.

SullySkully forfeited this round.
Posted by RetroToast 1 year ago
Great, two new comers. Lets see how this plays out.