Technology is making us anti social

I disagree with that statement. Facebook is a huge social media site with tens of millions of users solely for the purpose of being social.

Each innovation seems to make our world more and more connected socially. We might converse in different ways through different mediums, but we are more social now than ever. Text messaging, emails, cellphones, live streams, you name it. 50 years ago? Not a chance.

I accepted this debate because I believe that not all technology makes us anti social, but social sites such as Facebook, Kik, and many other messaging sites are making many people anti social.

Social media media sites like Facebook, kik, MySpace, or whatever don't make us more anti-social. The name "social media" means that it's for the sake of being social. Just because you aren't talking to the person face to face doesn't mean people are less social, it just means they're being social in a different medium.

As the say the two words, "social media" Here is the definition is some people would like to know.
so"cial me"di"a
noun: social media; plural noun: social medias
websites and applications used for social networking.

As you can see, yes these sites are for being social with other people. Although through evidence shows as technology gets bigger (including social sites) people don't talk in person as often because of this much more simple way of communication, but almost all if not all people cannot go through life behind a computer screen, or holding a phone towards their face. If they want a job, they would most likely have to be social in person. People say they can get a job to where they don't have to, for example going into computers/gaming, but believe it or not, that is one of the biggest examples of being anti-social. If they just want to work "ONLINE" without being around other "PEOPLE" doesn't that show that they are anti-social? Some people tend to be shy in person, but say your texting them and they come out of their shell and say things that you wouldn't imagine them to say. I think that is mainly because people tend to be comfortable where they are doing it such as their house or in their room or just somewhere by themselves. Or just if nobody else can see what they and the other person is talking about. So being hidden and comfortable with their surroundings is the reason why some people who are always on the internet tend to act different in person, such as being shy because they were anti social in person.

You're making the issue more complicated than it needs to be. I'm not trying to relate this to interpersonal communication / future job prospects or anything like that.

Being social is simply interacting with another human being. Instead of being social in the traditional face-to-fac way, people are using social media as a medium for this social interaction. Thus, social media is not anti-social.

I'm just trying to prove my side sir. You are pretty much saying that there is onl one way of being social, and it is just talking. what about working together? playing a sport together? There are more ways of being social then just plain talking. I fell because you don't want to further the issue I will stop here.
Vote Placed by The_Scapegoat_bleats 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made several language mistakes, apparently not being a native speaker. Points to Con. Sources: Pro took time and effort to present sources, Con did not, not evenin rebuttal. Arguments: Con tried to limit the debate to ONE social interaction and didn't refute Pro's argument and sources. Points must hence go to Pro.