DebateOnThis
BenJWasson

Teen Debaters

BenJWasson

DebateOnThis

Pro

I believe that Teenagers should have their opinion voiced just as much as adults do. Adults make the majority of the decisions but intelligent debaters such as myself are still only in their teens and have no idea how to voice the opinions to the government and/or higher debate teams. I, as a debaterfeel we should have a group designed for teen debaters to have their opinion voiced on popular topics on the news. We CAN help in world problems. If you'd give us a chance.
BenJWasson

Con

Hey, everyone! I'm looking forward to this debate. What i'm going to do first is respond to what my opponent has said and then move on to my own case.

So, in my opponent's speech, they talk about how those who are younger are given the opportunities to contribute to major decisions, as shown where they say, "voice the opinions to the government" and "[teenagers] can help in world problems". The thing is, teenagers are simply not ready to make these decisions yet, which I will go more deeply into later. While my opponent says this, they also mention that they are not given a chance to say what is on their mind and voice their opinions, but again, this is untrue. We all have free speech, we can all say what we want to say, meaning that teens can voice their opinions... To demand time on the news just because you are younger and think you can inform is ridiculous. Teenagers are not ready.

I have two points against the resolution. My first point is that teenagers do not have the mental capacity to make world-affecting decisions.

Even if you may score well on a certain test, or do well in school, you can't excel in judgement. The teenager's brain is not developed yet, and is not as good at decision making. Emotion clouds the teenager's mind to the point where they can't make reasonable decisions. Teenagers feel, they do not think. The University of Rochester's Medical Center explains this. "Recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain's rational part. This is the part of the bran that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdale. This is the emotional part. In teen's brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing."

Basically what this means is that because the teenager's brain is not fully developed, and is not capable of complete rational thought, they should not be allowed to handle the same tasks as adults.

My second point is that teenagers are uninformed. It is pretty straightforward, actually. Teenagers simply do not have as good as an education as adults. In lower ages, school doesn't teach in the detail that is needed to make rational decisions. Not until after college can somebody have the in-depth knowledge needed for decision-making.

To conclude my speech, teenagers just aren't ready to make decisions that affect the world, and that's why we already have so many limits on things like voting, driving, etc. Thank you, and good luck!
DebateOnThis

Pro

DebateOnThis forfeited this round.
BenJWasson

Con

My opponent forfeited the round. Extend all of my points. Hopefully, my opponent doesn't forfeit the next round.
DebateOnThis

Pro

DebateOnThis forfeited this round.
BenJWasson

Con

My opponent has forfeited again. Extend all arguments. Vote Con!
DebateOnThis

Pro

DebateOnThis forfeited this round.
BenJWasson

Con

Forfeited yet again. All of my arguments still stand, vote Con.
DebateOnThis

Pro

DebateOnThis forfeited this round.
BenJWasson

Con

Well, my opponent has not refuted anything I have said, all of my arguments stand... Thank you, vote Con!
Posted by BenJWasson 1 year ago
BenJWasson
@I_Wanna_Rawk, I have the same age and same personality type. It's understandable that you get upset when you are looked down upon simply for being younger, sometimes I do as well. What you realize when you think about all this is that everyone makes mistakes (cliche, but true). Whoever created the problem of ISIS and let it grow made a mistake by doing so. Whoever voted for that person also made a mistake (unless the benefits of voting for said person outweighed the creation of ISIS). The truth is, teens simply make more. You are at a higher intelligence than most, but don't let that get to you. The teen brain just isn't as developed as is needed for better decision-making, and if there are some outliers to this, so be it.
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 1 year ago
I_Wanna_Rawk
Huh. I'm 13, and I think logically and rationally better than any other person I know. It's not arrogance, I am just the most logical person I know. Part of this may be due to my personality type, (INTJ), but the fact remains the same. I'm not willing to accep the fact that teens don't have the capacity to make world changing decisions. Who let ISIS go unchecked, standing by as it grew and grew, until it is now in a position where it could do serious harm to the U.S., either forcing us to abandons the values of freedom and democracy we love or to abandon our safety? Yep. The so called rational adults who have the capacity to make good decisions, unlike teenagers. Yeah, I come across sounding pretty p!ssed off. That's because I am. I'm just sick of this cultural stigma agains people my age, especially because I am more intelligent and logical then most adults.
Vote Placed by ThinkBig 1 year ago
ThinkBig
DebateOnThisBenJWassonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited
Vote Placed by Amedexyius 1 year ago
Amedexyius
DebateOnThisBenJWassonTied
Reasons for voting decision: The primary reason to actually assume that Con had the better of this argument was the lack of a response from Pro in any other round. There is no conclusion that can factually be decided from only the first round as it is risky to judge whom provided the stronger argument as there was only one round of actual debating. This of course would mean, in the simplest of terms, that BenJWasson has won by his opponents forfeit.