smartass2014
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Teen Driving Age Raise

smartass2014

Con

Should the driving age be raised to 18? NO WAY! Some of us are not dumb asses! Some of us are actually responsible and trustworthy.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

I accept. I will be debating under the premis that: "driving is a privlage and not a right."

Con may now state their case.
smartass2014

Con

I can sort of agree but that doesn't mean they need to change the law just because of it being a privilege. Some teens are actually responsible and can be good drivers. I know ,let's see...(counting in my head)... at least 10 responsible teens if not more!
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

It looks like I'll have to honorably forfeit this debate. I had written out my debate case but my computer has been broken and I cannot retrieve my information. Because my older brother is graduating and I'll be helping with his program I will not have the time to rewrite my argument. I apologize, and maybe we can continue this debate later.
smartass2014

Con

okay thanks for your time and arguments it was fun debating with you bye!
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

SPENCERJOYAGE14 forfeited this round.
smartass2014

Con

smartass2014 forfeited this round.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

SPENCERJOYAGE14 forfeited this round.
smartass2014

Con

smartass2014 forfeited this round.
SPENCERJOYAGE14

Pro

SPENCERJOYAGE14 forfeited this round.
Posted by MorningSpirit 2 years ago
MorningSpirit
Having an intelligence requirement would definitely reduce accidents. Of course it wouldn't automatically give you a better driver. Intelligence is a better measure of capability than age. Now, obviously there has to be some limits on age but think of what the reason really is for this. It's not because of their heights because short people and little people are capable of driving. It's clearly because of the inferior intellect of those beginning to grasp skills of intelligence and motor skills. Young people of a certain age are clearly deficient with regards to some skills. You (schachdame) intend to have drivers on the road based of societal concerns rather than the individual. There are teens that can deal with the stress of being a teen and still be responsible drivers. There are teens with better hand-eye-foot-coordination than adults. These variables are exactly why we need structure that compensates for the capable individuals rather than a mass sweep based on sociological concerns at the time. In other words, if we privileged people to driving based on their intellectual capacity rather than their age, we'd get better results on the road. This will not inhibit all accidents but it will take care of a plethora of accidents. Older people don't always have more experience. Please think about it. Experience is based on actual time doing something specifically. If a 26-year old has been driving for 10 years and a 40-year old has been driving for 2 years, who is the more experienced driver? We can't automatically assume experience because of age. I already explained that.
Posted by schachdame 2 years ago
schachdame
you are wrong to think that a high intelligence would give you a responsible driver. The minimum-intelligence for driving is not that important as it manly includes memorizing and following rules as well as hand-eye-foot-coordination. To assume that a IQ influences the responsibility of emotional acts misuses the same weak logic like "Stupid people are better in bed". Changing the age limit to 18 usually means a different climax of rights to drive different machines, like scooters or mopeds earlier. It also dos NOT try to keep bad drivers from the road, but puberty and irresponsible decisions. The age of 13 to 18 is for most Teens at least at some point very emotionally stressful and that's when they learn to cope with this stress; older people have that experience/ better way of dealing with this, which means that there are less irresponsible drivers of 30 than 16.
Posted by MorningSpirit 2 years ago
MorningSpirit
The Con has a good point. People always assume that with age comes intelligence because ideally it should work that way. I assume the goal of raising the driving age is to eliminate bad drivers from our roads. The problem is that raising the driving age wouldn't keep bad drivers off the road. This kind of law can only lead to the more plausible conclusion that we should have an maximum age for driving because elder people are also more likely to get into accidents. Should we say that only people between the ages of 18-60 are allowed to drive? Good luck passing that bill. Also, I need to reiterate that age has nothing to do with wisdom. Wisdom comes from discipline and experience. A younger person can have more experience driving than an older person. A younger person can be a more disciplined person in general and while driving. Because these things are possible, there is no way you can logically determine making this law is justified. I've known 35-year old people that were immature and 15-year olds that were very mature. Maybe we should implement a IQ test for all drivers with the written driving test so that only intelligent people can drive. That's a law I could get behind.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
smartass2014SPENCERJOYAGE14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither gained traction, and they both FFed.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
smartass2014SPENCERJOYAGE14Tied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit of pro, but it was honorable, so it balances out