tht1girl13
Donderpants

Teen Smoking

tht1girl13

Pro

Teens should be able to smoke. Many people think smoking is bad because it can kill you, but almost anything can kill you so what difference does it make if you smoke. Due to the fact that teens today illegally smoke they should be able to have parental consent to smoke so that it"s not illegal and it won"t affect them any differently than an adult smoker.
Donderpants

Con

Very well, if you really want it to not affect them any differently than it affects an adult smoker, I'll list what will happen.

1. They will die. Lung cancer and similar health issues will arise. You claim that because almost anything can kill you, it's not an issue that smoking can kill you. But it's an issue when it kills more than it saves- and it's not known for saving people.

2. They'll run out of money. Cigars are expensive, when you light your first cigar you may as well roll up a cheque for 20,000 dollars and set that on fire instead- at least then you end up spending less than if you started to smoke.

3. It's illegal for a reason you know- if a government allowed it, then that's suddenly dropping them a dozen places in life expectancy, in savings per person, and in several similar fields. Internationally that's bad- and in their actual country, all those who had their lives stolen by the stupid cigars would blame them. I'd also hope that for human decency, they'd feel bad about it, but these are politicians....

For all of these reasons and more, it's evident that if teen smoking is legalized, everyone including the smoker will suffer.
tht1girl13

Pro

Well most parents don't want their teens smoking but some parent don't really care. So not a lot of teens will be smoking. If teen smoking required parental consent you would have to carry a card saying that your parents are ok with. You would have to go through a whole processes to be able to smoke. Smoking is also a stress reliever so some people might smoke before a test to relieve stress.
Donderpants

Con

You seem to have a misconception that smoking removes stress. Smoking creates it, as it results in people needing to take them or else they get stress. So if you try to quit, it creates stress, and it takes none of the ordinary stress away.

And think about it- should the stupidity of someone's relatives be allowed to negatively affect the life of someone who is still learning about adult life? No, an innocent life should not be derailed by uncaring parents. In the long term, teenagers will be glad that the cigars were never an option- they set you back tens of thousands of dollars, and they can give you cancer, and they don't even have superficial benefits. Really, there is absolutely nothing good about smoking, and half a dozen terrible things. Just try to suggest one thing that smoking genuinely is good for that I can't contradict. Even if you can, the con's far outweigh the Pro's.
tht1girl13

Pro

tht1girl13 forfeited this round.
Donderpants

Con

I can't really argue against any of the opponents points- because there are none.

I guess I'll just repeat my main points.

1. (a rebuttal, but also can stand up by itself) Smoking creates stress, as it results in people needing to take them or else they get stress. So if you try to quit, it creates stress, and it takes none of the ordinary stress away.

2. (in response to my opponent saying that only a few parents wouldn't care if their child had cigars and only they would give permission) Think about it- should the stupidity of someone's relatives be allowed to negatively affect the life of someone who is still learning about adult life? No, an innocent life should not be derailed by uncaring parents.

3. They will die. Lung cancer and similar health issues will arise. You claim that because almost anything can kill you, it's not an issue that smoking can kill you. But it's an issue when it kills more than it saves- and it's not known for saving people.

4. They'll run out of money. Cigars are expensive, when you light your first cigar you may as well roll up a cheque for 20,000 dollars and set that on fire instead- at least then you end up spending less than if you started to smoke.

5. It's illegal for a reason you know- if a government allowed it, then that's suddenly dropping them a dozen places in life expectancy, in savings per person, and in several similar fields. Internationally that's bad- and in their actual country, all those who had their lives stolen by the stupid cigars would blame them. I'd also hope that for human decency, they'd feel bad about it, but these are politicians....

May the best debater win. And please note that even if you'd posted a completely nonsensical argument, at least voters wouldn't mark you down for forfeiting. Just letting you know that for future debates.
Posted by Donderpants 1 year ago
Donderpants
I'm sorry, but by no small distance this is the easiest debate I've ever done. 2 strong points against...... nothing. Really chose the hard side of the debate for yourself.....
Posted by crazyness 1 year ago
crazyness
I actually agree with donderpants for this debate. I mean, alcohol is a way that people think is a stress reliever, but look where that got us. There are so many drunk and driving cases in the world that cause more stress, but people don't stop drinking until they have no sense of what is happening. I don't think cancer is a small thing to overlook if you are smoking because if you get cancer, people will start to have charities for people who have lung cancer, but in reality, it will be the smoker's fault since they have been smoking for the time period. Smoking actually gets no one forward in life.