polishgirlinar
MarxistKid

Teen boy bands and pop music groups should not make comebacks!

polishgirlinar

Pro

Groups such as the Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, and the Spice Girls are a few examples of music groups; popular amoung teenagers and kids, who have made recent comebacks.

The Spice Girls, for example, released a cd but the majority of the songs on it are remakes of their older songs.

The groups come back older, with less fashion, and a loss of fans.
MarxistKid

Con

This debate is just too silly to pass up. I strongly dislike pop and boy bands, but that does not mean I can't fight for their return! Ok!

--

After analyzing what little of an argument you had, I found only one statement that could count as being against the idea of reunion.
>>The groups come back older, with less fashion, and a loss of fans.<<

Edgar Allen Poe, a famous writer, did not truly receive his earned recognition until he was dead. Many classical composers received acclaim long after passing. What makes you say that pop and boy bands cannot still receive credit after their time in the light? What hinders them from returning to reminisce on the time of stardom and joy? Not only would the fans, which for pop and boy bands are usually very numerous, enjoy the return but also so would the band itself. What band did you ever wish would return, to play the songs you remember and loved them by? I have many I wish were not gone from the stage and I wish they would make returns to it.
In conclusion, it is not only good for pop and boy bands to return to the stage to perform, but it is for any band that wishes to come back and show the world that they are not dead just yet.
polishgirlinar

Pro

All of the examples you provided for recognition were dead when they got it. This debate is not about dead boy bands, it is about living bands having a reunion. Therefore, the evidence you have used against is irrelevant and inadequate!

I have actually out grown all of my obsessions with the boy bands I grew up with and the pop stars.

You have many bands you wish would return, but yet you "strongly dislike" them?
seems a little contradictory doesn't it?

In conclusion, it is not good for them to have comebacks to the stage. As I have stated before they less fashionable, older, and with a loss of fans. Finally, they do not have to have comebacks/reunions to prove to us that they are not dead! What do they have to prove? In their day they were great, some were the best of the best. They realize that they are older and that some were great (not all were though), they have nothing to prove now though.
MarxistKid

Con

This will be swift and clean.
--

>>All of the examples you provided for recognition were dead when they got it. This debate is not about dead boy bands, it is about living bands having a reunion. Therefore, the evidence you have used against is irrelevant and inadequate!<<

Are you so naive to think that death is the equalizer that I spoke of? When a band's touring or musical carrier has halted, what do people often refer to the status of the band?
"Oh that band has been dead for a while." Though death is not the exact expression, it means that they have not received any attention for a long time. What I speak of is that several artists, musical composers, even "boy bands" can receive acclaim after there time in the spotlight, or "death" and can return to reminisce on the times before. Irrelevant and Inadequate, huh?

>>I have actually out grown all of my obsessions with the boy bands I grew up with and the pop stars.<<

What you think has no influence in this debate. That sentence is a useless attempt to put in personal emotions in this debate. I could care less on what your obsessions are or how much you have grown. Here that means nothing.

>>You have many bands you wish would return, but yet you "strongly dislike" them?
seems a little contradictory doesn't it?<<

You truly do not see what I have said. This debate is becoming easier by the moment. What I said was:
"I strongly dislike pop and boy bands..."
"I have many I wish were not gone from the stage and I wish they would make returns to it."
Did I ever once say that I had pop and boy bands that I wish came back? No, you assumed that. I have bands in much different genres that I wish would return.
http://en.wikipedia.org...(band)
Ozma, a rock band that disbanded in 2004, was and is my favorite band, and there genre is rock, not pop or boy band. Now they have reunited and have announced a new CD is on the way, I cannot wait for it. The fan base for Ozma as not only been revived with the announcement of the new CD, but new faces are joining it, creating a second fan base for new comers, strengthening the band. Proving a point that I was not contradictory like you said I was. Nice try.

>>In conclusion, it is not good for them to have comebacks to the stage. As I have stated before they less fashionable, older, and with a loss of fans. Finally, they do not have to have comebacks/reunions to prove to us that they are not dead! What do they have to prove? In their day they were great, some were the best of the best. They realize that they are older and that some were great (not all were though), they have nothing to prove now though.<<

Everything in your rebuttal was promptly picked apart and disposed of. That a band can be "dead" and not actually have passed on, that my views were not contradictory, and that bands can come back as strong has they had before, if not stronger.
Please try to give me something a bit tougher to work with. This is disappointing.
polishgirlinar

Pro

The bands (if they were very popular) do receive attention while they are disbanded. For example, if a person from the does a solo album (Gwen Stefani's solo career) it draws attention to the group. "oh she/he was in ______. I have their CD." Also, when any of the members are in the public eye (charity work, rehab, clubbing to hard, etc.) news lines something like "Well ________ from the ________ band went to rehab for drugs). It may not be good publicity, but it does show that they are still around.

The band you mentioned Ozma only disbanded in 2004. Of course they still have a following. If you recall boy bands are mainly a product of the 1980's and 1990's. Therefore, the example you have given is not from the same time frame as what the topic suggests.

Next, you said "What band did you ever wish would return, to play the songs you remember and loved them by?"
This is where my personal opinion came into play.
I would like to say that emotions should play into debate, but only to an extent. If you can not make what you are saying believable and create emotion in the listeners/readers, then how do you expect to connect to them and get their votes because like it or not peoples emotions play a role in the way they vote.

Thank you
MarxistKid

Con

I had a lot of fun debating with you polishgirlinar. Strange topic, to say the least, but I liked it anyway.

--

>>The bands (if they were very popular) do receive attention while they are disbanded. For example, if a person from the does a solo album (Gwen Stefani's solo career) it draws attention to the group. "oh she/he was in ______. I have their CD." Also, when any of the members are in the public eye (charity work, rehab, clubbing to hard, etc.) news lines something like "Well ________ from the ________ band went to rehab for drugs). It may not be good publicity, but it does show that they are still around.<<

Gwen Stefani's original band "No Doubt" has not become disbanded, only its lead singer has left the band to perform her own tour. Therefore, it is earning its own attention apart of Gwen's. Further more, the fact that bands receive attention while they are disbanded is irrelevant to the debate. We are debating pop and boy bands reuniting, not pop and boy bands that have been disbanded.

>>The band you mentioned Ozma only disbanded in 2004. Of course, they still have a following. If you recall boy bands are mainly a product of the 1980's and 1990's. Therefore, the example you have given is not from the same time frame as what the topic suggests.<<
The topic suggests no time period. Pop originated in 1950's with the Beatles, then it went from there, grew more popular in the 1970's with the Village people. As for Boy Bands, the Jonas Brothers, is a boy band group that is growing in popularity. Boy and Pop bands have no time frame. Neither does this debate.

>>Next, you said "What band did you ever wish would return, to play the songs you remember and loved them by?"
This is where my personal opinion came into play.<<

However… you did not tell me your opinion. You went on to give a speech about how debating show be done, but you never give your opinion on my question. You completely ignore it, for reasons that I can only speculate.

In conclusion, pop and boy bands are like any other band. They have their fans, their tours, their CD's and there disbanding. What is different about pop and boy bands is that they can appeal to a family sense. Kids like it, and its ok for adults to listen to with their children. In the case of New Kids On the Block, which was an enormous success in the 1990's, they had a long time in spotlight, and they ok for the entire family. What is wrong with them reuniting to bring old and new fans to their side? I don't know if there is anything wrong.

Thank you and Vote Con.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Detective Lunge! Perhaps my favorite character in that anime.

Anyway, Con wins. Pro's argument is basically a collosal non sequitur. Oh, and emotions should never be employed unless you intend to use it as a means of deception. Not that I'm one to use underhanded debate tactics. ;)
Posted by polishgirlinar 9 years ago
polishgirlinar
I meant is not in my quote earlier
my computer changes stuff for me, here and is wrong just like it is on word
gahhhh
Posted by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
No. Don't think I ignored you Renzzy. I really did take in what you had to say. Yea, I am sometimes cold to people. Just wanted to let you know that I listen to what you say Renzzy. I do.
Posted by Renzzy 9 years ago
Renzzy
Marxistkid, you may ignore me, and I expected no more from you. Other people, on the other hand, may see the error in your ways, and take that into consideration when voting. I'm sorry that you are too closed minded and arrogant to see that you made a mistake.
Posted by polishgirlinar 9 years ago
polishgirlinar
to be talking about grammatical errors is kind of interesting since yours are not perfect
"You grammatical errors..." should it not be your??
Posted by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
Renzzy, to not whine to me. For I will not pay attention. If you have a problem with my debating, then debate me. You grammatical errors just push me further to ignore you.
Posted by MarxistKid 9 years ago
MarxistKid
Please forgive me and my silly hyperlink malfunction. When clicked on, please follow the next link that is entitled.
"Ozma is a rock band from Pasadena, California."
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
PRO , but you weren't around when either of these bands were popular. Also what harm is there in people being able to be nostalgic. When you are almost 30 you may then enjoy having bands that you enjoyed when you were younger reunite. You are still young and it hasn't been that long since the Backstreet Boys. It is just fun to see bands you enjoyed so much when you were younger have a comeback. They know they will never be as big as they once were but they will profit , because people will see them. Lots of bands , boy bands , and others come back and people will go see them because of memories and for fun.
Posted by Renzzy 9 years ago
Renzzy
I was talking to Marxistkid, by the way... sorry for making that mistake...
Posted by Renzzy 9 years ago
Renzzy
Why, why, why why,WHY?!?!?! Why can't you do one debate, just ONE, without belittling your opponent?!?! If it were not discouraged, I would very much like to vote against you simply because you are so arrogant! Ugh...

Voters: please take not of this, and vote accordingly.
Vote Placed by DanteCloud 7 years ago
DanteCloud
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by clemsongirl5353 9 years ago
clemsongirl5353
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by Clint 9 years ago
Clint
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by Undermining-Chaos 9 years ago
Undermining-Chaos
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by Twisted_Juliet420 9 years ago
Twisted_Juliet420
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied
Vote Placed by polishgirlinar 9 years ago
polishgirlinar
polishgirlinarMarxistKidTied