mandierose113
Ange154

Teenage drivers should be able to drive at 16.The age should not be raised to 18.

mandierose113

mandierose113

Pro

Rules: Same thing you must play 2 out of 3 other wise you lose....

GOOD LUCK TO MY OPPONENT! :D
Ange154

Con

I thank you for a intresting topic and i am going to let you start out
mandierose113

Pro

Okay! :D Thanks!

First off teenagers (16 years old) should not be punish because of others. Not all teenagers are bad drivers, only some are and its not fair for the others who are very good drivers to get punish because of a few bad drivers. Also insurance and state punishes them, the insurance rate will go up if you have bad grades and the rates will go up if you get into a car accident. The state punishes them by giving them tickets or suspending their license.
Ange154

Con

Okay, first off we are debating on the resolution: "Teenage drivers should be able to drive at 16.The age should not be raised to 18" , you talk about how they are being punished by others, we need to be debating on why we should keep the limit at 16, not why they shouldn't be punished.

- please clarify in the next round what you mean by "others",

I would like to add on something to help build up my side of the debate, If we raise the age limit to 18 then we are insuring safety to the general public, If drivers are 18 they won't be able to drive during their High School Carrer, so if they get drunk at some party, they can't drive and cause a potential safety hazard to others, also as we move on in age we tend to mature, if we switch the limit to 18 then the person will be more mature and more responsible with their driving privileges, decreasing their chance or reckless driving, driving while drunk, etc.
mandierose113

Pro

Okay. When I said others I meant other 16 year old.

Why we should keep it 16 is because teenagers are starting get jobs and they can't depend on there family members to drive them there and back. Also you said there more mature when there older, this is just my thought and it might not be correct to you but I believe when you get more responsibility you tend to get more mature so if they start driving at 16 they will be more mature.

If people are so concerned about there safety on the roads they can make the driving test tougher. I also seen to not understand what you said when you said "If drivers are 18 they won't be able to drive during their High School Carrer, so if they get drunk at some party, they can't drive and cause a potential safety hazard to others," please explain that to me in the next round.

Teenagers cant depend on other people to take them somewhere so if they start to drive I think they can become more mature. If you think I'm still not on topic about this debate please tell me!
Ange154

Con

Thank you way better,

-ok to clarify, you begin as a Freshmen when your 14, and usually start out your sophmore year at 15, possibly 16 very unlikely, then you move on to junior at 16, then senior at 17 and then nearing the end of your High School career you turn 18, so basically when your 18 you don't have that much time left in High School.

-Moving on to your next point making driving tests tougher, this will have barely any effect on anything, driving test are to insure the driver is ready to drive, you make the driving test tougher then the chances of someone passing it will decrease, so your basically saying we can help make the roads safer by making everyone fail their exams.

-Kids who start driving at 16 tend to use their car for dangerous, or maybe un-productive things such as illegal street racing in which most of the time they were influenced to do so by their High School friends, and possible while under the influence of an illegal substance.

-Also, If we change the limit to 18 then school parking lots wont be as crowded, and not so many cars will be on the streets, allowing students safer passage from outside the campus into it or visa-verse.

-To answer your last argument on the teens dependency on parents, It would better if parents drove them to their jobs or their schools, why? because their parents are morally obligated to keep their kids safe, so their driving will be a lot more careful, aware, and safe, ensuring the teens safety, and others around him/her.

I look forward to your next argument :-)
mandierose113

Pro

Okay! :D

. If you make the driving tougher only the kids who are able to drive very well will past and we wont have this whole problem about how teenagers are bad.

. To your next point, the kids use their car for dangerous things such as street racing. I do agree with you on that topic.

. To the school parking lots, there are seniors who will then start to drive and most seniors are 18 they would use the parking lot. Also, we cant have parents taking them to school. First off they have to get to work, they have a personal life so they cant keep on taking there kid to where ever they need to go.

. Young drivers do have more accidents, but that is because they are not very experienced, not simply because they are under 18. If we raise the driving age, it will be 18-19 year old new drivers having more accidents instead of 16-17 year olds. After all, men are 77% more likely than women to kill someone while at the wheel, so if we went just by statistics we would ban all male drivers, but that's not the point.

.Studies of young drivers show that risky behaviour affects them in their twenties as well as 16-17 year olds. Should we ban all young drivers from driving before they turn 18? No, because most young drivers do drive safely already. The few who don't are the ones who are likely to break the law and drive underage without a license anyway. So raising the age will punish everyone apart from the troublemakers. For most young people learning to drive is an important part of learning responsibility and taking up adult values. If we keep delaying when kids become adult, then young people will never learn responsibility.

I look forward to what you have to say!
Ange154

Con

-Ok, first of all my opponent dropped my argument on 16 year olds using their cars for dangerous things so judges please see into that.

-On to your argument on making the driving test tougher, there is a small majority of kids who can drive really really well, and this directly links to your 3 point on parents not being able to drive their kids, if the majority of kids who are not really good can't pass their test, then the parents must drive them unless they choose to walk or ride a bus.

-On to parking lots, if we change the age limit to 18, sure there might be senior cars in the parking lot, but there won't be any Junior or Sophomore cars so we are drastically reducing the amount of cars, also add the Seniors who have their 18th birthday after graduation.

-On to her 4th point, my opponent basically states that if we raise the age to 18 year olds, then 18 year old will have more accidents not 16 year olds, well this is kind of obvious because if 16 year olds cant drive then they can't get into accidents, unless there in the car with someone else who is driving, also 18 year olds tend to be more careful and aware of their surroundings, due to recent studies done by the Insurance Institutes for Highway Safety www.iihs.org/brochures/pdf/beginning_drivers.pdf the number of accidents a teenager has decreases over the years of their life so basically a 16 year old will tend to have more accidents than a 18 year old, so if we increase the age limit to 18 then we are creating a safer environment for the public, also I would like to bring attention to my opponents statement this statement was not under the debates resolution, and she basically dropped it herself, so this statement should be disregarded.

-First of all I would like to say that my opponent did not state a site, or information source for her last point, I would now like to address her argument. We are not punishing kids by raising the age limit, even if the 16 year old is a good driver, they might not understand the privilege they have gotten, or possibly even get into an accident with those "bad drivers" that you mention. If we increase the age limit to 18 we are helping those kids by keeping them safe, if they are 18, then they will understand responsibilities like driving a car better, and the consequences of drinking and driving, texting while driving etc., and therefore make the driving environment safer for everyone.

-please refer to my link studies it will help explain a lot.

-In conclusion, there is no other choice then that of the Neg
Posted by Clucy01 1 year ago
Clucy01
Agree B/A Pro
Conduct: mandierose113 wins!
Spelling and Grammar: Pro
Arguments: mandierose113 wins!
Sources: ange152 Wins!
Posted by Korashk 4 years ago
Korashk
I'm going to do a bit of a critique of this debate after posting my voting results.
Agree B/A: Pro
Conduct: Tie
Spelling and Grammar: Pro
Arguments: Tie
Sources: Tie

About the arguments, both of you had some good points, but that was it. After reading the debate many of the points illustrated were not adequately supported. The point Pro made about driving experience had a lot of potential but she didn't go anywhere with it. Con, you should have given a source that supports the claim that minors use cars for dangerous things. This is just one thing that I believe could make you both better debaters.

Also, in Michigan, where I live, you can get your license at 16 if you take a drivers training course and pass a driving test, but if you wait until you are 18 then all you do is go to the Sec. of State, pass a written test, and they mail you a driver's license. This is a fact that Pro could have used to rebut claims made by Con.
Posted by Ange154 4 years ago
Ange154
thanks for the great debate i really enjoyed it!
Posted by mandierose113 4 years ago
mandierose113
Yes Yes it is,!
Posted by Ange154 4 years ago
Ange154
This is a very good debate
Vote Placed by lliwill 4 years ago
lliwill
mandierose113Ange154Tied
Vote Placed by kristoffersayshi 4 years ago
kristoffersayshi
mandierose113Ange154Tied
Vote Placed by Korashk 4 years ago
Korashk
mandierose113Ange154Tied
Vote Placed by kalyse020908 4 years ago
kalyse020908
mandierose113Ange154Tied
Vote Placed by atheistman 4 years ago
atheistman
mandierose113Ange154Tied
Vote Placed by Ange154 4 years ago
Ange154
mandierose113Ange154Tied