krishnanz10
Smithereens

Teenagers need better role models

Smithereens

krishnanz10

Pro

I am a teen. And seeing it from my point of view, I do believe that we need better influences. There are so many teens out there who are living their lives wrong because they're just doing what they saw on TV and they think it's okay. So many people my age think that they should follow what all the "famous" people are doing and they will be cool. Really though, I think they're going to grow up and regret it. And it's most of the time not even their fault. If someone doesn't have a good stable person in their life then they're going to follow what people on TV are doing.I think that teens have to realize that no matter what we do, there is gonna be somebody watching what you do. There is most of the time gonna be somebody looking up to you and you don't even know it.

Young people do need better role models. Celebrities are constantly in our face. They are on the news, all over the internet and in magazines and there always seems to be story about a celebrity taking drugs, checking into rehab, dropping out of rehab etc.

There is too much focus on celebrities., It isn't good for teenagers to see pictures of their idols in the newspaper taking drugs and behaving strangely.

In my opinion, there should be less focus on celebrities, or at least less focus on the ones who choose to ruin their lives with alcohol and drugs.

Perhaps if these celebrities were kept out of the spotlight more, then young teens would find other people to look up to.
Smithereens

Con

I accept this challenge.
I do not believe this topic needs defining. By the looks of it, neither does pro.

I can't really tell if the text presented in round one is an argument or just an introduction. It looks like and introduction but I'll assume 50/50 and provide my case without doing any rebuttals yet. My thanks to Pro if she states her case more clearly with proper reasoning in round 2.

The claim that teenagers like us need better role models arises out of the misconception that role-models are a major influence on our behaviour. The biggest influence on teen behaviour is actually parents and family. [1,2] Followed closely by friends. Indisputably, as my opponent suggests in the opening post, the media is a major player when it comes to factors that shape our living. The media presents a social stereotype and advances it as the way of the majority. Individuals think that the image presented by the media is what everyone else is doing and thus feel inclined to copy it, in order to blend in with society. In fact, if you look at where role-models would rate on a list of factors that influence our behaviour, you will find that they rate close to the bottom, with most teenagers not having a role model. So my question is, what is the point? If role-models are such a minor influence, why go out of our way to improve them for a select minority when we need to focus on improving dozens of other influences which are already far more damaging?

State your case.

[1]http://phys.org...
[2]http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
krishnanz10

Pro

krishnanz10 forfeited this round.
Smithereens

Con

Extend argument. Teens dont need better role models, vote Con
krishnanz10

Pro

krishnanz10 forfeited this round.
Smithereens

Con

Vote Con.
Vote Placed by ObiWan 4 years ago
ObiWan
krishnanz10SmithereensTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit