Just_Me2002
mage61099

Teens or Tweens Should Not Have Smart Phones

Started: 9/27/2015 Category: Technology

Just_Me2002

Pro

I think no tween or teen should have a smart phone- at least not until high school. I'm not saying that they shouldn't have a cell phone. Cell phones that can only text or call are okay, but smart phones distract teens and tweens. They should be focusing on their studies and social life that's not in an electronic device. According to the statistics on http://readwrite.com..., 37% of teens in the U.S. have a smart phone. 25% of 12-17 year old access the Internet through their smart phones. They're mostly on social sites or games. People will say that teens will need the smart phones for emergencies or things like that, but all they really need to have is a cell phone that calls or texts. Don't waste money on a fancy thing that can do the same essential stuff on a regular cell phone. Smart phones are also a health issue. Staring or looking at flat screen daily for a long period of time can thin your arteries in your eyes which can cause a lot of problems once you get older. I shouldn't need to go on to prove this point. These are all valid reasons. Think hard and long about this because this may effect today's generation for the rest of our lives.
mage61099

Con

Hello , my first debate . Ok , let's get a crack on..

"Smartphones Distract teens and tweens". You argue that teens and tweens "waste" time on social websites and games. On the contrary, most tweens or teens learn a lot from such sites , consciously or unconsciously. Tumblr, Twitter and many such sites are the reason why children today are more liberal , open to new ideas and see the fallacies in old ideas.

"They should be focusing on their studies". However, my esteemed opponent forgets the simple fact that education is not entirely what we are taught in school. We are taught to be literate , and that too in only a few languages. Studying , is the knowledge of the world. Teenagers today are more "educated" than teens of the yesteryears.

This is a direct effect of Teens having Smartphones. Having a smartphone is empowering in today's age. It allows teens , rather everyone , to pursue what they love, learn about it , and share their ideas. Why would you curb this freedom?

"Smartphones are Also a health issue." I am very sorry , but that does not make sense. Why should only "Teens or Tweens not have Smart Phones" because of Issues that make affect EVERYONE?
Just_Me2002

Pro

My opponent, you said that many teens and tweens learn a lot from social sites. That may be true, but they could always get that access on a computer or ask someone if they could see it. They don't necessarily need to have the device in the hand to be able to know and learn about it. If I'm not mistaken, you also said that education is not entirely taught in school. Yes, I know that, but the base of all their knowledge is taught there. You need to know how to add to do Geometry. Teens and tweens may not even get the basics because they're almost always on their phone. Plus, they can get off their phone and go outside. They can learn outside by doing experiments that gets their brains working or just looking at random stuff for no certain reason and learning about it. If I remember correctly, you said that smart phones allow teens to share their ideas, pursue what they love and learn about it. They can do that by book or on a computer or just be being away of their surroundings and looking around. I also never said directly to the health issue that it could effect everyone. I was saying how, in general, my entire debate reasons could effect us all later. Plus, the health issue is to warn teens and tweens on what could happen and what they should watch out for.
mage61099

Con

"Teens and tweens may not even get the basics because they're almost always on their phone."

I am not saying Schools are unimportant. Rather, I am saying that by using Smart Phones, Teens are able to supplement their education in a way that was not possible earlier, and still won't be if they aren't allowed to use the Smart Phone

"They don't necessarily need to have the device in the hand to be able to know and learn about it." My esteemed opponent, the whole reason why people are after Smart Phones are because they allow ease of access. Teens can ask someone or use their computers , yes. But the ease of access which is provided via smart Phones is unrivaled.

In a hypothetical scenario , imagine two students one with and one without a smart phone. Assuming BOTH do not waste any time and are "perfect" students , the one with the smart phone can immediately "google" a word , check facts about history etc. While the other student may have to search through big books , wait for access to a computer or ask some one with knowledge about the subject. And This is all under the assumption that there is no incorrect knowledge available in the world. A student with a smartphone can easily check multiple internet sites for the validity of an argument. Ergo , it's easier for a student with a smartphone , and he "learns" more per day.

"...or just looking at random stuff for no certain reason and learning about it. " I believe that's EXACTLY what teens do. They look at random stuff on their phones , instead of outside. They are attracted to it since it allows them a feel of interconnectedness and "Globalization". On the whole , it allows easier sharing and communication.

You say that books and computers allow them to pursue what they love etc. That , though true , doesn't give teens the "scope" that a smart phone offers. A huge database of knowledge, a means of communication , a means of experimentation , a means of learning , all in their back pockets.

Focusing on the health issue, the smartphone industry has realized the problems stated by many people, and is fast on it's way to make changes , to make smart phones "Healthy".

Not only are Eco-Friendly phones coming out, the relatively new technology of "Smart-Ink" i.e Ink which nullifies almost all strain to the eyes is on it's way to the smartphone industry. "Fitness" Apps have been launched , and are extremely popular since a smartphone can remind people ( teens ) to exercise on a regular schedule , eat healthy , gives them interactive "checkpoints" ( The concept of gamification to increase popularity ) to complete.

My Opponent also seems to be under the impression a smartphone needs to be "stared" at to be used. That is not the case. There are ever increasing apps which PROMOTE people to look away from the phones and get out in real life. They AID people in doing so.

On example I may give is the game "Ingress". It is a strategy game. With alien sci-fi stuff. Yes. But it can only be played by a person GOING PHYSICALLY to the area for "attack" , "capture" or "Defence".

I Would like to conclude by saying, more and more teens view their smartphones not as a device, but an aid which helps them get the most out of life.
Just_Me2002

Pro

When you talk about how "Eco-Friendly phones" are coming out and how the "new technology of 'Smart Ink'" can decrease the strain on the eyes and how the phone companies are making phones healthier, I've never heard of it, and I don't know if others have heard of it, but you might need to get some real data and have a credo ready. Also, these will be coming out. They're not out yet. You also talked about the fitness apps and how they're extremely popular. This is what I'm talking about. Teens and tweens will rely on their phones for everything. You can easily go running outside or do yoga on the TV.

The earlier in their life that kids get smart phones, the more spoiled they may get. Yes, this could teach them about responsibility, but they could also keep asking for more and more and bragging about it to others. They may not even realize that they're bragging about it.

If I remember correctly, you also said the game "Ingress" makes you physically go out and play, but is what you're saying that you're going to move around to play a game on a screen because that's basically playing a game while sitting down.

Just so I get this out of the way, having smart phones aren't only about how obsessed teens and tweens are with them but how bad they can be with them. They have access to all kinds of bad things like porn. They can cheat on tests by taking a quick picture with the phone when the teacher is turned away and sending it to their friends after class. They may have knowledge right in their back pocket, but they also have bad, bad things there, too.

Plus, this all before high school. If they ever need to do research at school, the schools should have computer labs, a library, and maybe even a few computers in each classroom. You could also work together with someone at school on a computer or phone for a group project or an assignment you both have. If you're at home you could use your computer or a parent's or sibling's phone/computer. If you don't have access to these things, go to a friend's house after school or the public library or tell the teacher your situation and work out a solution.

Smart phones aren't used for everything, and they don't have to be either. Remember, I'm saying teens and tweens shouldn't have SMART phones until high school.
mage61099

Con

My apologies , for the lack of citations. I have a few sources.

A link to the Wikipedia page on E-Ink. This was pioneered by Kindle by amazon. Most of it's readers have this ability. As mentioned , some mobile phones also have this function. https://en.wikipedia.org...

In Short
"E Ink (electrophoretic ink) is a specific proprietary type of electronic paper manufactured by E Ink Corporation, founded in 1997 based on research started at the MIT Media Lab. Joseph Jacobson and Barrett Comiskey are listed as inventors on the original patent filed in 1996.[1]

It is currently available commercially in grayscale and color[2] and is commonly used in mobile devices such as e-readers and, to a lesser extent, mobile phones and watches...."

Also , Mozilla Firefox has released an "Article Mode" For it's browsers. It allows a user to customize the size of text and switch between a black background with white text for night reading and vice-versa for day time.

Link > https://support.mozilla.org...

The problem with "yoga on T.V" is the fact that it's :-
1) Not customized to the needs of an individual
2) The mobility is non-existent

As far as the fact about "rely on their phones for everything.." It's a part of our evolution as a species. We have made innovations to make our life simpler , better and to discover new things. Smartphones have pioneered this age. In the hands of the youth , they make a formidable TOOL.

My dear opponent, the "..bragging about it to others.." argument is flawed. Some Teens or Tweens will brag about anything that they own. It depends on the character of a person. In my opinion , Smartphones in no way PROMOTE bragging or showing off. Rather , the exposure to social media has given teens power to stop this.

In a hypothetical situation ,
If Teen A knows that everytime he brags, bullies, talks down to people , he will face severe criticism online due to increased access of teens on the web due to smartphone , he will THINK THRICE before doing so.

The game Ingress ( Link > https://en.wikipedia.org... ) Is more about co-ordinating and communication to fellow "faction" people and moving around. People can realistically only spend 45 minutes per "Portal" ( game lingo for the control points. Generally monuments ). Constant movement is needed, and it's focused on activity.

Unfortunately, In most countries the penetration of computers is very low. Smartphones allow people to connect to the internet with minimal hardware and cost. A developed country like US may not feel it's effects, but Most countries in Asia and Africa face these problems.

I live in India, and even though I live in a major city ( New Delhi ) , Libraries are NOT computerized here. The internet has appeared here within the last 5-6 years. Most people still go to Cyber-Cafe's which charge large amounts for the usage of internet and computers. Opposed to this , Smartphones have a HUGE penetration here, low cost and essentially easy to use and set-up.

Teens , in areas even worse off than this , will surely benefit from a tool which allows them to connect to the world from a remote hill , village or island. The world , at large remains un-connected. The people beyond the age group of 25 are refusing to learn and utilize this technology to it's best. Teens , and Tweens , Should go ahead and use Smartphones. The world is experiencing a global revolution, It's time to embrace it. I re-affirm my stand. Teens and Tweens SHOULD USE SMARTPHONES.
Just_Me2002

Pro

Just_Me2002 forfeited this round.
mage61099

Con

mage61099 forfeited this round.
Just_Me2002

Pro

Just_Me2002 forfeited this round.
mage61099

Con

mage61099 forfeited this round.