Rockstarr1
imabench

Teens should be able to get birth control without thier parents consent.

imabench

Rockstarr1

Pro

I believe that teens should be aloud to get birth control without their parents consent because it would save a lot of teen pregnancies. A lot of teens do not go to their parents because they are too scared of being disowned when their parent or guardian finds out that he or she is having sex. Most teens don't want their parents knowing that they are having sex. So they do not go to them and they have sex any ways. I know then there would be problems with parents then trying to take doctors to court, but I should be legal. It should be up to the doctor to explain the health risks and up to to the person to have the freedom to choose. Even if teens do go to their parents most parents would say no any ways because they to not want their children to have sex any ways. I bet before a teen got pregnant the parent wouldn't consent birth control, but they wish their teen was aloud to get it any ways to save them the hassle when their grandchild arrives.
imabench

Con

You claim that teens being able to buy birth control automatically will cause teen pregnancies to drop, but just because you buy something doesnt mean you will actually use it or use it properly. My dad buys rifles and ammunition almost once a week but he never uses them he just mounts it on the wall or sells it to a higher price to his friends.

Just because teens could buy birth control does not guarantee they will actually use them. Only 35% of teenagers use condoms even though they have access to them.

http://www.idph.state.il.us...

After you read that statistic look two lines lower on the website, teenagers like to get hammered and use illegal drugs during sex so they might not even have the common sense to use the birth control they bought.....

You may want to consider that just because it is now more accessible doesnt guarantee that teenagers will still go and buy them.

Also consider the fact that they must be used correctly. There are many birth control contraptions that could do quite a bit of damage to the teenager if they use it improperly, sometimes birth control pills and such are linked to causing many problems in an individual

Yaz: a birth control product used by millions of women was found to be linked to horrible side effects such as blindness, in some cases cancer, strokes, etc. and that is just ONE of the DOZENS of birth control supplements out there on the market.

You claim that parents dont want to let their kids have sex because they will get pregnant and that sex is safe with birth control, perhaps you have never heard of things called STD's....

STD's, as we all know, are sexually transmitted diseases and there is no form of birth control on the market that prevents against the passing of any STD from one individual to another. STD's affect far more teenagers than teenage pregnancies do, and STDs affect teenagers more than any other age group....

Sources showing birth control does not protect against STD's
http://www.pregnancyandchildren.com...
http://ehealthforum.com...
http://kidshealth.org...
http://www.zocdoc.com...
http://www.womenshealthzone.net...

Number of STD cases each year (roughly 3 million a year among teenagers)
HIV = 10,000 to 20,000 new cases a year among teenagers
Chlamydia = 40% of ALL girls 15 to 19
HPV = 15% of ALL girls 15 to 19
Herpes = up to a million new cases each year total, a great proportion of them among teenagers
AIDS = Over a million total, many cases are not even reported though....

http://health.shiawassee.net...
http://www.bhg.com...

Teenage pregnancy = 1 out of 12 teenage girls,
Teenage STD's = 1 out of 4....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com...

I could go on but Ill stop here for now, so let me summarize:

Unconditional access to birth control by teenagers should not be legal because
1) Just because teenagers buy them doesn't mean they will use it properly or at all
2) Birth control (Yaz for example) has many harmful effects that cause many more health problems then they prevent
3) Birth controls do NOT prevent against STD's which spread faster and affect WAY more teenagers than pregnancy does
4) The alleged health "benefits" of the POSSIBILITY of lowering pregnancy rates would be greatly offset by the number of new STD cases, which in many cases prove to be lethal.....
Rockstarr1

Pro

You make very good points, but I never said that birth control prevents STD's. Also it is logical that if not used correctly it would be harmful. Also I never said that ALL teen girls would actually go and get it, but the one's that are willing to go get it. Your father might buy guns, but that doesn't give him the right to murder.

A teen that has strict parents, (possibly Catholic parents), cant just go and say I need birth control because it in most cases, just does not work. The doctor would explain how to use it, and it would but up to the free willed teen to use it correctly. When birth control is not used correctly by ANY ONE it can be harmful not just teens. Also not just teens sell and use drugs, not just teens use or don't condoms, and just because the legal drinking age is 21 doesn't mean that teens don't drink.

Note: This applies for teen girls ages 15-17 that really what to be protected from pregnancy.
imabench

Con

Quick clarifications:
1) I never claimed you said that birth control doesnt protect against STDs, Im just showing that the health benefit of unlimited access to birth control would be very outweighed by the spread of STD's through sexually active teenagers
2) I also never claimed that you said everyone would get them, Im just showing how teen pregnancies would not be wiped out
3) My Dad buys guns and stuff to hunt gators not people.......... thanks for suggesting hes a murderer though

You claim that "When birth control is not used correctly by ANYONE it can be harmful not just teens."

Birth control can be harmful to people when just ONE person does not use it correctly, It only takes one person to pass an STD onto another person and then those two people could accidentally give it to others later in life.... Implying that everyone has to use birth control incorrectly for harm to be done to teenagers is not true at all

"This applies for teen girls ages 15-17 that really what to be protected from pregnancy."

The debate resolution is
"Teens should be able to get birth control without their parents consent"

Not

"Teenage girls ages 15-17 who really want to be protected from pregnancy should be able to get birth control without their parents consent"

Unrestrained access to birth control would affect far more groups than just the audience you really wish were the only ones getting unrestricted access. This idea of unrestricted birth control to all teens would have far more consequences as well

my other arguments still stand
Rockstarr1

Pro

The debate is about,
Teens should be able to get birth control without their parents consent.

Not STDS! I know that STD's are spreading throughout the nation, but you did not include how many babies are born with STD's. everydayheath.com

I never meant that your dad is a murderer, I was trying to imply that guns are accessible it is up to the person to use them correctly. Just like with birth control, it is up to the person use it to use it correctly. Sorry if I offended you.
imabench

Con

I understand what the debate is about, what I am showing though is that if birth control were to be available to all teenagers then STD cases would go up. Teenagers would be having sex and pregnancy rates may go down but because STD rates would go up is the reason why I am against allowing all teens unrestricted access to birth control.

My final arguments against unrestricted birth control:
1) A subsequent rise in STD rates
2) Teens may not even use them
3) Even if they do they may not use them correctly
4) Pregnancies may fall but STD rates would climb so there would be no net health benefit

(I see what you meant by the guns argument, so no harm done)
Posted by cavinder1234 1 year ago
cavinder1234
Okay thank you , this is just a good topic for me I feel no hate to you or the other person 😌😌😌
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
If youre doign research for a paper then theres probably some other more recent debates about this topic around here you can use
Posted by cavinder1234 1 year ago
cavinder1234
i was doing a research paper on the topic
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
This debate is from 4 years ago how the heck did you even find it? o_O
Posted by cavinder1234 1 year ago
cavinder1234
i read all the points made and i belive in both of them, the pros and the cons ... there are alot of teens that are getting pregnant at a very high rate and stds are skyrocketing, but i still belive that a teen who isnt comfortable talking or asking a parent and thats the teen so she should be alowed to go somewhere where she can get help and for boys condoms they should be allowed to get condoms, without being discriminated ... dont hate on me for my personal opinion cuz many girls and boys dont have places to go for help like a parent or family member so they go to the next best thing.......
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
And now I am confused as Hell....
Posted by sadolite 5 years ago
sadolite
LOL I thought you were arguing for it. No I have no compassion or sympathy for teens who get pregnant. Saying they don't know the ramifications is preposterous. The argument is always the same for birth control. "there going to do it anyway" The facts are facts. When teens are given birth control teen pregnancy skyrockets.. All statistics bear this out conclusively and then subsidising the behavior only exacerbates the problem. A teen getting pregnant is not a mistake . It is a blatant and premeditated action with a complete disregard for the consequences. Teen pregnancy should be shunned and have shame attached to it by society. It is they who become a burden on society because they are ill prepared to take responsibility for their actions, and they knowingly and blatantly do so with out regard to anyone but their own selfish lust. Controlling ones sexual impulses is the only thing that separates you from an animal.
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
1) When did I say "they are going to do it anyway?", YOUR the one who said that in your first comment genius....
2) They don't all know the ramifications
3) Your not the only tax payer so again stop acting like your god
4) Straight*
5) I'm not saying to go to hell i'm saying take your rantings, because thats what they are, anywhere else but here.
6) You feel no compassion for someone who made one mistake, only one, and it really ended up badly for them? sounds kind of heartless....
7) You clearly don't have a clue what i'm saying because your the one dropping f-bombs everywhere
8) All I am trying to say is that teenagers should not get access to birth control without parental consent, your the one going nuts about it
9) I'm not saying a spelling error doesn't make you look credible I'm saying it makes you look stupid, not that matters since I casually asked whats wrong with just lending pregnant teenagers a hand and you drop 2 f-bombs in your response
10) Your idea of a teenage mom is pretty biased....
11) You want to call me infantile and devoid of intellectual value when your profile says your 53, only have a high school education, and your profile picture is of a young boy....
Posted by sadolite 5 years ago
sadolite
Um, did you not just say that "they are going to do it anyway"despite knowing all the consequences and ramifications? And now you want the taxpayer to pay even though they new what they were getting into and new for a fact they could not deal with it in the first place. So basically I as a taxpayer am being told I can go strait to hell if I object to and recommend that teens not engage in behavior they can't accept the consequences for. Then when the consequences come to fruition I have to feel sorry for and have compassion for them. That is basically in a nutshell is what you are saying. Fu@ck off we are going to do it anyway, Oops I got pregnant I cant afford this help me. I say the say thing you say to me as a taxpayer Fu@ck off you made your bed now lie in it and suffer the consequences.

And please, "a spelling error" is that the best you can come up with. Ok from this day forward if you ever spell a word wrong you will never have any credibility about anything. That is so infantile and devoid of intellectual value.
Posted by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
misspelling the word "wonders" doesn't make you look like you know what your talking about. Also we cant exactly measure how many pregnancies that birth control has prevented and from your stats below it sounds like Teen moms have it pretty bad, so whats wrong with just lending a hand to them?
Vote Placed by GaryBacon 5 years ago
GaryBacon
Rockstarr1imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Although I believe that older teens (maybe 15 and older) should have access to birth control, Pro did not do much to support the claim. Con's arguments were much better. Also, I gave Con spelling and grammar because Pro kept using the word "any ways." "Anyway" is an adverb and adverbs cannot be pluralized. It's always been a pet peeve of mine.
Vote Placed by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
Rockstarr1imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Rockstarr1imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro should have won, I think, but failed to make the best arguments, so I'm going to give the nod to Con. Pro should have made an argument that there was a reasonable right for teens to have birth control, and con had to overcome that right. Con said pregnancy would not be diinished. That grants that STDs would not be diminished. Dangerous device still require a prescription, so it's up to the doctor to prescribe what a teen can handle safely. As it is, Con's STD argument stands.
Vote Placed by Double_R 5 years ago
Double_R
Rockstarr1imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro began with an argument, but dropped it in the proceeding rounds. She did not defend them against Cons counter arguments or properly address any of the arguments Con made.
Vote Placed by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Rockstarr1imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's starting arguments weren't too bad, she just did a bad job defending them as well as refuting con. Pro ignored allot of cons arguments. Pro attempted to change the resolution during the debate. Con used multiple sources to back his claims why pro used none. Pro had bad grammar/spelling.