nleachman
Shikyo

Television: Is Meg(Megan or Mega-tron) Griffin Abused Too Much!

Started: 5/28/2014 Category: TV

nleachman

Con

I noticed that your challenger did not complete your earlier debate. So I wanted to fill that roll for saying Meg is NOT abused too much.

Round 1: Challenge Request/Challenge Acceptance
Round 2: Opening Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Closing Arguments
Shikyo

Pro

I accept your challenge
nleachman

Con

Meg Griffin, has always been the hated person on the show. However, I believe that if they laid off Meg a bit, that would ruin some of the classic jokes that Family Guy has to offer. If she were abused to the point were it is upsetting, then I would vouch for my opponent.

Before I begin, I would like to take the time to thank my challenger for doing the debate. Now, I will begin my opening arguments.

1. Seth MacFarlane clearly shows that Meg, while sometimes a typical suicidal, is usually the role model.

No one told me this, but you could just tell that Meg is by far the nicest, sensitive, strong-minded, person on the show. This may be a bit of a stretch, because I am not going to say she is perfect.

However, nobody on a Seth MacFarlane show is perfect, except Tina Fey(Who got that reference), so I will say some flaws with Meg. For one, she is confused about herself, she will do anything to try to fit in, and when she finds herself a clique, it usually goes bad. Although Meg, can blame that, on herself.

Another one of her big flaws is that she is suicidal/emo when she is misunderstood. However, other than that she has a very good personality.

2. Meg is not abused, but rather misunderstood, the rest is just cartoon humor.

I feel like Meg is just misunderstood because every other character is a misfit to society, except her. She is the only one who fills her stereotype. For example, the man of the house, is not only mentally challenged, but also wreckless and irresponsible, as the opposite would apply in the real world.

With a family filled with misfits and outcasts, they need to go after the normal kid in order to deal with all the dysfunction. Meg is one of the only people to fill there stereotypes, the other being Mort(Extreme example), and Bonnie.

As for the other stuff, like Peter farting in Meg's face, and such. I think that is all in good humor, and it isn't super offensive, but rather a funny joke that can be repeated through out multiple episodes of family guy.

3. Meg, is a lot better off being the one to get picked on.

I will admit, whenever Meg changes herself, and people view her differently, it ALWAYS ended up for worse. Please look down for some examples. Actually, even though it did end up for worse, when you look through it, her family does love her. They just misunderstand her. The other mean things is just for cartoony humor.

--------------------------------------------------------==#Examples#==------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example: 1 Don't Make Me Over:

Story:

When turned down, and called a boy. Meg thinks that she is ugly, so Lois decides to help her get a makeover. When Meg was done, she had looked stunningly beautiful. It turns out she could sing, as an incident of a failed prison concert, leaves Meg and the family famous.

Result:

Fame gets to her head, and she ultimately becomes a diva. Although she got karma big time, when she gets sexually exploited on the opening sketch to Saturday Night Live. Peter, gets pissed. And beats the living out of the Saturday Night Live Host.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Example 2:

Sea Horse Sea Shell Party:

Story:

In a special FOX broadcasting, in which a storm struck Langley Falls(American Dad), Quahog(Family Guy), and Stoolbend(The Cleveland Show), and the families are stuck in there homes. Each of their stories were done on different episodes. Sea Horse Sea Shell Party was Family Guy's spin off of this storm special.

Basically, after Meg feels they have taken one to many jabs at her. She finally does the unbelievable and sticks up for herself.

Result:

The family goes into total chaos, leaving lots of hate and anger through the family. Not just towards Meg. When Meg feels bad, Brian explains to her that she could be the reason the family hasn't broken up from all the dysfunction. And that she is probably the most well rounded person in this house. Meg apologizes to the family, they bash her for a second. Then they all hug it out.

See, there were good signs left on Meg. And that her Family wants best for her, even if they rarely show it. And honestly, the only line I have ever hear that is really mean, is this.

Joe is hanging on to a waterfall edge. Lois, has his hand, but can't pull him up

Joe: Pretend that I am one of your kids

Lois's hand loosens

Joe: NOT MEG! NOT MEG!

Lois pulls him up easily."

Please post your opening arguments, not your counter arguments. I love to hear you disagree with my theories. But that isn't going to be until round 3.
Shikyo

Pro

Meg Griffin is (almost) continually abused by her family in a number of different ways. Including physical, emotional, and socially. Each person in the family has added to her abuse in varying levels and ways.

The worst offender being Peter, who abuses her physically, verbally, etc. Though the others may not be as bad they still cause her emotional distress. Not to mention they will turn a blind eye towards abuse that she receives from those within the family.

You were right when you said Meg was the most normal character in the series. Because of this difference the Griffin family (and the town) believe that her differences give them a right to treat her in any way that they want. No matter how cruel. Not to mention the fact that because they know they can get away with it, only encourages them.

You can see her abuse in many of the episodes including:

(Example 1: I Never Met The Dead Man)

While teaching Meg to drive Peter crashes in to a satellite dish, thus knocking out cable for the whole town. When Peter sees a mob coming towards him he blames Meg. While he did get the people calmed down he had no idea if he could calm them, thus putting Meg in a potentially dangerous situation.

(Example 2: 8 simple rules for buying my teenage daughter)

Peter pretty much sells his daughter to a man to give to his teenage son. Who Meg has expressed hate towards. While upset at first the family soon pretty much just turns a blind eye towards Peter selling his own daughter to another man.

(Example 3: He's to sexy for his fat)

While at the dinner table Louis asks Peter to pass the
mash potatoes causing him to get angry and punch Meg in the face.

(Example 4: unknown episode)

When Meg is upset about her kiss going live on television while doing an internship at the news business, Meg threatens to go
at a bowl of peanuts both Louis and Peter just stare at her. She then tells them she's allergic to peanuts once again receiving only stares. When Meg runs upstairs upset they both continue to watch TV. Acting as if their daughter hadn't threatened to kill her
nleachman

Con

nleachman forfeited this round.
Shikyo

Pro

Shikyo forfeited this round.
nleachman

Con

nleachman forfeited this round.
Shikyo

Pro

Shikyo forfeited this round.