thebestspeaker
ironknight47

Television and internet are leading causes of violence in today's society.

ironknight47

thebestspeaker

Pro

Development always comes with some or the other flaw which widely affects the society. In our modern society of ours, television and internet have become inalienable from us. People switch on to television every time for one or the other need, be it recreation or getting updated with day today happenings. the same thing goes for internet too, but to a greater extent. But the point on which one needs to pay attention is that though television and internet help us in various ways, they are more harmful than useful. Children, when exposed to these mass media sources, often get affected because of the presence of enough of inappropriate content available which has become the major source of violence in our society. Children very easily get affected by their so called super heroes and tend to imitate them, completely unaware of the fact that the telecasted things are completely fictious.. Thus I find such mass medias the cause of violence in today's society..
ironknight47

Con

I'll accept your challenge. I hope to have a good debate.

In this debate, I assume you are trying to prove a link between violent crime and violent mass media. I will try to disprove your statement of how mass media creates more violent crime.

I disagree with your statement. You say media is a the main source for violent crime to begin. However, while media has become more and more popular over the last ten years, the FBI states that the estimated violent crime level of 2012 was 12.2 percent down from the 2003 estimated violent crime level-
http://www.fbi.gov...

Obviously, television and internet have been becoming more popular over these last ten years-so much that I can check the news from my smartphone and watch shows on a small, very portable tablet. Accessibility has been increasing, but crime has been going down. Therefore, I say violent media is not the leading cause of violent crime.
thebestspeaker

Pro

I appreciate the facts and figures you used to put in front your part, but at the same time I would like to mention this fact very clearly that if the crime rate has considerably reduced, then there are certain factors which have played a significant role in bringing down this rate. Better laws and their stricter implementation are the factors which have played a major role in reducing crimes. Therefore, television and internet cannot be freed from the blame of promoting violence in today's society. Today's society has been greatly influenced by these mass medias. And this influence can be widely seen on the younger section of the society. The presence of inappropriate content on the internet is one of the major causes of deviation of students. Long hours spent in front of TV and Internet is a major cause of irritation in the behavior of teens and a proven reason for lack of social ethics. The exposure of youngsters to Internet at a very young age makes wrong things tempting to them.
ironknight47

Con

Can you prove that stricter laws lower the crime rate? To me, what I see is mass media becoming more popular and violent crime going down. Criminals adapt to laws. Stricter laws can be overcome as soon as someone figures out how. I stand by my previous evidence; crime rate has gone down, mass media use has gone up. I see no way to prove mass media is the main cause of violent crime.
thebestspeaker

Pro

thebestspeaker forfeited this round.
ironknight47

Con

I have no counter-arguments to make here, so I don't have much to add on to my previous arguments.
Vote Con.
Vote Placed by bsh1 3 years ago
bsh1
thebestspeakerironknight47Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited a round and didn't cite any sources. Con's analysis felt more thoroughly developed and thought-out. I go Con.