Amveller
nerdykiller

Television can control your mind

Amveller

Amveller

Pro

Topic

In this debate I will argue that watching to much television can literally brainwash you and change your life for the worse. Americans watch an average of 6 hours of TV per day. the more television you watch, the less literate, you become.

Con will argue watching 4 to 6 hours of TV every day does not have any affect on any person, intellectually, emotionally, or sociably.

I am looking for a serious debate on this topic, my experience on this site has had its flaws, but from what I have read there are plenty of you who take debates seriously. I am looking forward to a enjoyable, intellectual debate.

I will now turn it over to my opponent to make his opening argument.

nerdykiller

Con

I love this topic! :)
I am a teenager who loves his TV. ^-^
Wait is this debate on TV mind controlling people or is it about TV being good or bad?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will provide the definition since pro didn't provide it.

Definition
Control- direction over; dominate; command.
http://dictionary.reference.com...
Mind- intellect or understanding
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Argument

1]TV isn't going to control your mind.
TV is a machine that basically transmits pictures at an incredible rate to produce motion on the screen. This machine will not control your mind at all. Tv is an object which of course doesn't have a mind of its own to control superior minds like the humans..

2]Humans will not be less literate because of watching TV.
Literate-able to read and write
http://dictionary.reference.com...
I believe to watch TV, you at least have to know how to read the subtitles that appear sometimes on TV. If a person is smart enough to watch TV and understand the information given, then TV isn't making someone less literate, but improving the person's comprehension of new information.

Reasoning

1]TV actually teaches you information.
* TV channels such as history channel can be educational.
- Pawn shop: Teaches you history of antiques.
- Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy: Teaches information about America in a fun way.
- Many other educational TV shows that teaches history and information.
* Other TV shows or channels teach important information.
- Go, Diego, Go
- Myth Busters
* There is the news on TV which teaches a great deal about the world and society we live in today.
http://www.history.com...

2]People can experience things that they won't experience in their life time.

Kids or adult both can experience the beauty of the rain forest or the coldness of Arctic in their own living room.
Most kids and adult live their whole life without going to the exotic places that they see on TV. All the fascinating places people see on TV will be the only time in their life looking at such a wonderful place.

3]
In the movie and TV industries there are role models.
I believe that there are role models in the TV and movie industries.
These types of role models can be animated characters from a cartoon or real life person.
- Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated
- Blues Clues
- Rachael Ray
Role models help educates the kids in a helpful way. Role models are something that the new generation can look up to and follow in their footsteps.

I believe that 4 to 6 hours of TV everyday does not have any effect on any person because everything on TV isn't harmful to the mind. I think that 4to 6 hours of TV is actually helpful because no matter what you are watching you gain new information. There are also good TV show and programs that teaches kids and adult.
For example take a look at me.
When I first came to America I learned how to speak and understand English by watching TV.
This wasn't an impossible feat, I just had watched a lot of cartoons such as Scooby Doo and soon I got use hearing the language. Soon I began to understand new words by watching the expression on the character's face and predicting what the word means.

TV can't control your mind.
TV is good for you.

Amveller

Pro

I extend a thank you to my opponent for taking on this debate.

My argument is not that TV programs aren't enjoyable or informational. My argument is that watching 4 to 6 hours of television on a daily basis "can change your life for the worse" and change the way you process thoughts and the way one views actual reality. This defines the term "Brainwashed"

In round {1} Con has argued TV is informational, "I think that 4 to 6 hours of TV is actually helpful because no matter what you are watching you gain new information." He defines the physical technology of actual Television explaining it is "an object which of course doesn't have a mind of its own" I agree with my opponent that TV's them selves do not brainwash you however, I argue it is the programming on TV and the amount we take in that is harmful to us.

My argument

The subconscious is powerful. It is aware of every particle and detail around you. But it doesn't know the difference between fact or fiction and acts on all information passing through the conscious mind as fact, and responds to it. So what do you think happens when you watch silly, moron, goofy commercials and television programs? They are training your thought processes.

Americans are wired into their television sets. Over the last 30 years, they have come to look at their television sets and the images on the screen as reality. You put something on television and it becomes reality. If the world outside the television set contradicts the images, people start changing the world to make it more like the images and sounds of their television.

Because its influence is so great, so pervasive, it has become part of our lives. You lose your sense of what is being done to you, but your mind is being shaped and molded. If that doesn't sound like brainwashing, I don't know what is.

"the more television you watch, the less literate, you become."

Studies have shown teenagers who watch several hours of television a day do worse at school and are less likely to graduate than their peers.

A 20-year study involving nearly 700 families in the US, found that those watching more than three hours of TV a day were twice as likely NOT to continue their education past high school. The researchers say their study is the first to show that attention problems linked to TV viewing could be the cause of academic failure.

More time spent watching TV is linked with poorer school performance overall and decreased scores on standardized tests. This makes sense when you consider that more time spent in front of a TV means less time spent on homework or having stimulating interactions with adults or other children.

I am still waiting for my opponent to prove "watching 4 to 6 hours of TV every day does not have any affect on any person, intellectually, emotionally, or sociably."

I have attached an informational video that will help you understand my argument....

=SOURCES=

http://www.turnoffyourtv.com...
http://www.med.umich.edu...
http://www.squidoo.com...

nerdykiller

Con

nerdykiller forfeited this round.
Amveller

Pro

Since my opponent forfeited this round, I will simply refer to my prior argument.
nerdykiller

Con

Thank you for your argument.
Sorry for the forfeit in the previous round.

Rebuttals
1) "My argument is not that TV programs aren't enjoyable or informational. My argument is that watching 4 to 6 hours of television on a daily basis "can change your life for the worse" and change the way you process thoughts and the way one views actual reality. This defines the term "Brainwashed"
- You could have said this earlier.

2) "In round {1} Con has argued TV is informational, "I think that 4 to 6 hours of TV is actually helpful because no matter what you are watching you gain new information."
- Yes I did indeed wrote this, but you didn't argue anything about the statement, but went on to talk about another statement I wrote. Even though the Pro writes in the end of 2nd paragraph that programming on TV and the amount we take in is harmful to us. I disagree because all the programming that we take in can be good for us because the programming can teach us something that we never knew before.

3) "The subconscious is powerful. It is aware of every particle and detail around you. But it doesn't know the difference between fact or fiction and acts on all information passing through the conscious mind as fact, and responds to it. So what do you think happens when you watch silly, moron, goofy commercials and television programs? They are training your thought processes. "
- You said that your subconscious is powerful, which tells me that your mind is powerful enough to tell the difference between truth or a lie. What about the goofy commercials? If a person doesn't like the commercial he can just simply change the channel to something ore educational. I think with over 1000 channels on TV's these day I believe someone can watch TV for a long period of time without having to watch even a single commercial.

4) "Americans are wired into their television sets. Over the last 30 years, they have come to look at their television sets and the images on the screen as reality. You put something on television and it becomes reality. If the world outside the television set contradicts the images, people start changing the world to make it more like the images and sounds of their television."
- Truthfully I don't believe that a human being will forget the difference between a TV program like Scooby Dooby Doo and something real in life. Did you ever hear of a person believing that TV portrays reality and the real world is fake?

5) "Because its influence is so great, so pervasive, it has become part of our lives. You lose your sense of what is being done to you, but your mind is being shaped and molded. If that doesn't sound like brainwashing, I don't know what is."
- I believe the term for the TV is an entertaining system. TV is built on the sole purpose for entertaining us and giving us information about the world. I agree with you that its influence is great, but remember who controls the influence.
You can decide whether to watch TV or not.

6) "Studies have shown teenagers who watch several hours of television a day do worse at school and are less likely to graduate than their peers."
- "Likely," that doesn't mean that they will do bad. I know kids that watch TV every day for a long time and he is in an Honor class getting a high A. It’s a possibility that they would do bad, but I believe people are smart enough to manage their time.

7) "A 20-year study involving nearly 700 families in the US, found that those watching more than three hours of TV a day were twice as likely NOT to continue their education past high school. The researchers say their study is the first to show that attention problems linked to TV viewing could be the cause of academic failure."
- Again "likely" that means it’s possible, but it also means that it isn't possible.

8) "More time spent watching TV is linked with poorer school performance overall and decreased scores on standardized tests. This makes sense when you consider that more time spent in front of a TV means less time spent on homework or having stimulating interactions with adults or other children."
- This statement is false if the student has a passion for basketball he or she can watch a basketball game and analyze how the team plays and learn from the game. Programs like Mythbuster are actually helpful because they teach you many scientific facts that you learn in school. For example, I watched one episode where they talked about the inertia of an object. You can learn from TV by watching documentary or news. There are many TV shows or videos you can watch on TV that can be helpful to you. They can actually help you better than the standard textbook because you can see what happens in motion rather than just reading the text.

Argument
Like I already said 4 to 6 hours of TV isn't harmful to a person because everything on TV isn't harmful and teaches a person a lot of information that they never learned before. I ask the Pro to read my round 1 argument again and very carefully.
I posted in round 1 that there are many types of show that teaches a person interesting and helpful facts. Also TV is an entertaining system and it is created to keep us entertained. It does that by showing us funny programs to the reliable news. Watching 4 to 6 hours of TV also helps us from stressing out. I am a teenager who is always stressed out by my parents and expectation to do the best. The only thing that keeping me from killing myself is video games and TV. It might sound stupid, but it is true that kids relieve their stress by watching TV.

Here are parts of an episodes of Mythbuster thet is entertiing and very scientific.
These videos are posted in the beginning.
;

TV is an entertaining system that keeps us laughing. TV teaches us new information that we never knew before. TV is helpful to school too because you can watch the news to learn about the world. TV is also a great stress reliever.

Amveller

Pro

My opponent has not shown how watching 4-6 hours of T.V can be helpful to a person. He has made some valid points on the educational factors of watching T.V. ; unfortunately, my argument is made specifically towards watching 4-6 hours of T.V on a daily basis, is harmful and can in affect, control your mind.

Since my opponent also pointed out most of my statements included "likely" to occur, I would like to provide the audience with some facts on limiting the viewing of television shows and the effects of watching too much.

Experiments conducted by Herbert Krugman revealed that when a person watches television brain activity moves from the left hemisphere to the right [1]. The left hemisphere is the seat of logical thought, where information is broken down and analyzed; whereas the right hemisphere process data in wholes and does not critically analyze this data which leads to emotional responses rather than logical. When this shift occurs endorphins, the body's own natural opiates, are released making it possible to become physically addicted to watching television. Whether the shows are educational or not, you can become addicted without even realizing that you are. Since addiction, viewed as a continued involvement with a substance or activity despite the negative consequences associated with it, is harmful; it is hard to argue that T.V is good for you even if the context might be.

According to Rutgers University psychologist, Robert Kubey, Millions of Americans are so hooked on television that they fit the criteria for substance abuse as defined in the official psychiatric manual. Heavy TV viewers (those who consistently watch more than four hours a day) exhibit five dependency symptoms--two more than necessary to arrive at a clinical diagnosis of substance abuse. These include: 1) using TV as a sedative; 2) indiscriminate viewing; 3) feeling loss of control while viewing; 4) feeling angry with oneself for watching too much; 5) inability to stop watching; and 6) feeling miserable when kept from watching. [2]

Computer monitors and TV monitors can be made to emit weak low-frequency electromagnetic fields merely by pulsing the intensity of displayed images. Experiments have shown that the 1/2 Hz sensory resonance can be excited in this manner in a subject near the monitor. The 2.4 Hz sensory resonance can also be excited in this fashion. Hence, a TV monitor or computer monitor can be used to manipulate the nervous system of nearby people. "It is thus apparent that the human nervous system can be manipulated by screen emissions from subliminal TV image pulses." [3] The nervous system controls everything from breathing to memory and intelligence.

Lastly, I would like to point out the obvious. Just because you are intelligent, have a college degree, or even a highly recognized person in society does not mean you cannot be brainwashed by television. Most people have been brainwashed and do not even realize it. How many times have you made an important decision based on information you seen on T.V? Most people decide on the car they want to buy or the type of clothes they will purchase, and even where they will go on vacation, due to something they have seen or heard of on T.V. and it is this type of media brainwashing that has made the decision for us.

In conclusion, I believe watching more than four hours a day of television is harmful, addictive and can cause brainwashing (mind control). If anyone reading this debate can honestly say "nothing I have seen on television has ever influenced any decision I have ever made and I watch 4 to 6 hours every day" then you should vote Con. However, if you can admit to your selves after reading this debate that TV has influenced you in some way, you should vote PRO!

I would like to thank my opponent for this very interesting debate, I look forward to more like it.

=sources=

1. http://www.rense.com...
2. http://www.csun.edu...
3. http://truthisliberty.blogspot.com...
nerdykiller

Con

Thank you for your conclusion.

I just realized my opponent has just wrote summary of what he found online rather than taking crucial time to actually think everything out and plan how to write his side of the argument.

No offenses to you, but you have basically plagiarized your arguments.

If you look at your provided links you can tell that you have basically copied whatever information that was provided and just changed it by a little bit.

You have done the same thing as you did in this debate.

http://www.debate.org...

You have almost copied the information already posted in the links.

Why couldn’t you just use your own thought to create your own argument?

The Pro’s paragraphs other than the intro paragraphs and conclusion paragraphs are all plagiarized or summarized by changing few words.
You should be ashamed of yourself for plagiarizing so many of your paragraphs in the last round.

Rebuttal

“My opponent has not shown how watching 4-6 hours of T.V can be helpful to a person. He has made some valid points on the educational factors of watching T.V. ; unfortunately, my argument is made specifically towards watching 4-6 hours of T.V on a daily basis, is harmful and can in affect, control your mind.

I believed I have already explained that watching 4-6 hours of T.V can be a good thing. Watching T.V for a long period of time every day is not that harmful enough to control your mind. Like I have explained before T.V teaches the viewer important things about the interesting world we live in. Watching T.V for 4-6 hours can teach you a lot of facts that can help a person’s mind rather than controlling it.

The Pro have plagiarized many of the paragraphs. So I will only rebuttal the ones that are from his idea.

"Lastly, I would like to point out the obvious. Just because you are intelligent, have a college degree, or even a highly recognized person in society does not mean you cannot be brainwashed by television. Most people have been brainwashed and do not even realize it. How many times have you made an important decision based on information you seen on T.V? Most people decide on the car they want to buy or the type of clothes they will purchase, and even where they will go on vacation, due to something they have seen or heard of on T.V. and it is this type of media brainwashing that has made the decision for us."

- How do you know that those people have been brainwashed? You said, "Most people decide on the car they want to buy or the type of clothes they will purchase, and even where they will go on vacation, due to something they have seen or heard of on T.V." This is not brainwashing because this is how the world runs. T.V is also a device of advertisement which help show the viewers what they could purchase. If the viewer doesn’t like what they see they can just change the channel or just decide not to buy it.

“In conclusion, I believe watching more than four hours a day of television is harmful, addictive and can cause brainwashing (mind control). If anyone reading this debate can honestly say "nothing I have seen on television has ever influenced any decision I have ever made and I watch 4 to 6 hours every day" then you should vote Con. However, if you can admit to your selves after reading this debate that TV has influenced you in some way, you should vote PRO!"
- I will argue this in my conclusion

People that watch T.V for that long period of time is influenced in a good way. Viewers watch T.V to relax and to have fun. At the same time they can learn how to speak different language or the world around them. Many T.V shows have information that is new and interesting for the viewer. T.V also can teach someone how to do something like build a boat. T.V is an object that is loved by many people because it not only helps with the stress you have and it gives many educational facts. There is also many historic channels and shows that teach history in a good way. If you watch 4-6 hours of T.V a day you can learn many things. Even though you watch a lot of shows that might not be educational you still learn something from each show that you watch. Cartoons have a moral lesson or something like that in each episode. Movies have complex story line and plot that is design to give an exercise to your mind. No matter what you watch there will always be some kind of information that you will receive from T.V. Watching 4 to 6 hours of T.V can help reduce your stress and also helps you find role models. Role models that you find on T.V can be from a cartoon or from a movie or even a T.V show. Role models can help lead the way for children at a young age. T.V is helpful to the world because of the new source of advertising it gave us. No matter what you watch you will always learn something no matter how old you are or how long you watch T.V every day.

Vote Con because Pro has plagiarized so many paragraphs in the last round. Also Con has rebutted every one of Pro's points.

Posted by Amveller 6 years ago
Amveller
its not plagiarism if i site the source!!
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
This debate was asking for a false dichotomy. Pro - It controls your brain. Con - It has no effect at all (as Pro stated that Con should argue).
Posted by Amveller 6 years ago
Amveller
You still have the last round...
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
I hope I gave an interesting debate....
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
Dude I am sorry I don't have that much time....
My partner bailed out on me on our project.
So I have no time...
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
why???
:(
Posted by Amveller 6 years ago
Amveller
you are killing me nerdykiller
Posted by nerdykiller 6 years ago
nerdykiller
cr@p bad timing
srry
Posted by lucyalice1989 6 years ago
lucyalice1989
TV does control your mind it's a no brainer, if a child watches R18s then they can be affected for life. How do you think everyone keeps up to date with fashion? why do we idle skinny unhealthy actresses rather than family? and why is advertising on television so god dam expensive? Television is technology and we all are sucked into it by the way we spend our money on upgrades. We all have false hopes brainwashed into us from television, maybe we identify with a character we want to be in a series? TV is brainwashing as all our behaviours are learnt and the more hours we spend watching tele the more behavioural patterns we will concieve.
Posted by Colorguard101 6 years ago
Colorguard101
Tv does not control your mind becaause you dont do things that you see on tv because they tell you to you do it because you want to