Randomknowledge
blond_guy

Television is projecting the wrong message to youth and setting the wrong expectations.

Randomknowledge

Pro

Nowadays, all that you see on television are things that are not setting good examples for young people. They are showcasing murders, guns, sexual relations, and the like.

You see all the stuff that parents DONT want their kids seeing. As a youth, i see all this and know what it is like.

For my opening argument I would like to bring up the easiness of sitting on the couch and wathcing the tube. You do nothing but stare, and occasionally showcase some emotions. You do nothing, basically. All you have to do is press one button to turn it on and one button to change the channel. It seems like there is never anything on, or so people say. There is ALWAYS something on, just nothing with violence or gore. Much like Ellen Degeneres, Tony Danza, Martha Stewart and Regis and Kelly, there is no violence, no guns, and no murder. Most young people dont want to watch this, "crap." I dont mind it, but this is not a personal debate. I dont want to use up all of my resources but i want to close it up by saying this: For the most part what is projected to america's youth is the wrong message.

Thank you and good luck to my challenger.
blond_guy

Con

Although I agree with your topic sentence I disagree with the evidence provided.

True - Television contains content not suitable for children.

However, it is the parents' fault if they do not educate their children or deprive them from watching certain programs. Today we have ratings, warnings and what not.

As a youth myself, like you, I can just go outside and take the New York City subway train to any neighborhood along the lines of Bedford Stuyvesant, Jamaica, Bushwick, and see things that don't play on T.V. till after 12 o'clock. I can also go to the library or use the school computers to go on the internet, which we all know is filled with uncensored content.

Good luck on this debate!
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello, blond guy. I am glad we finally get to debate. first off I want to point out something you said. "However, it is the parents' fault if they do not educate their children or deprive them from watching certain programs. Today we have ratings, warnings and what not."

Yes, it is true that there is a rating system for the television programs and they are often very hard to access. Often you have to press a few buttons to display the rating, and even if they do appear in the corner they are often hard to interpret, as most people dont know what Y-7 is, or Y-7FV. Some dont even know what MA or TV-14 means. This is what lends itself to confusion regarding ratings.

Once again, this is what children end up watching today. drawn in by the fantasmical music, the fast paced scenes and all the blood, they have almost automatically gained an audience of young people all over the world.
Television is a necessity in most peoples lives, from the people who get their news that way to the people that watch their favorite sitcoms.

When an older brother turns on the TV and his mom tells him that his small siblings are allowed to watch with him. He then proceeds to wathc whatever he wants to wathc, except his siblings are now watching and are thus exposed. this happens all over and is often a method of showing material unsuitable for children to children.

Thank you and i await your rebuttal.
blond_guy

Con

"most people dont know what Y-7 is, or Y-7FV. Some don't even know what MA or TV-14 means."

--------It takes 5 minutes to figure it out on Time Warner Cable, they even have ads explaining how to control what their kids watch on T.V.
Once you activate the parental control, no inappropriate shows, movies, etc. will appear.

"When an older brother turns on the TV and his mom tells him that his small siblings are allowed to watch with him."

---------The mom wouldn't be a responsible parent if she allows her older sibling to show the younger sibling whatever is on T.V.

And my point still stands that children these days can get unsuitable content ANYWHERE!
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello, Blond guy. This is only a debate for debating, and I can see by the caps lock you are getting slightly emotional. First I want to criticize something you said and clarify what I meant.
"-The mom wouldn't be a responsible parent if she allows her older sibling to show the younger sibling whatever is on T.V."The point is, the mom DOESNT know what the kids are watching becuase she TRUSTS the older one, but the odler one is independant.
This is merely a falsified scenario.

Next I want to mention some statistics involving television watching, showing how wide a demographic this problem is.

For instance, the percentage of U.S. household with at least one television is 98%
The percent of children between ages 2-5 with televisions in their room are 25%.
The most shocking is the percentage of 4-6 year olds. This age group was asked to choose between watching TV and spending time with their fathers. The majority of the children chose television.

This shows how involved children are in TV, and I do recognize that children can see anything bad anywhere, but the MOST common source is television. Besides, when are young children without the supervision of adults the most?

At home.

Thank you and I await your Rebuttal.
blond_guy

Con

"The point is, the mom DOESNT know what the kids are watching"

-------My point is that if she doesn't find out than she suffers the risk of her kids watching inappropriate stuff on T.V.

-------You also said I was getting emotional. No, the caps lock is for emphasis, kinda like your caps lock on "doesn't"

"For instance, the percentage of U.S. household with at least one television is 98%
The most shocking is the percentage of 4-6 year olds. This age group was asked to choose between watching TV and spending time with their fathers. The majority of the children chose television."

--------Those are pretty disturbing, but I'm not surprised. The thing is it is not the T.V.'s fault because they spend a lot of money trying to get parents aware that not everything on T.V. is appropriate. The rating system alone costs millions of dollars. Also, many kids watch inappropriate things as little such as W.W.E. and M.T.V., then grow up to find it stupid and become doctors. It's not as great of an influence as walking the streets or going online can be.
Posted by machnt08 8 years ago
machnt08
I agree with blond guy, television is in society and we are always going to have technology being upscaled. Our lives would not be more pleasant without Television, it gives us so much information!
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
you're right about the votes solarman

goldspurs, I voted for you on everything except for the military pay debate
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
oh and whiny kids

VOTES DONT MEAN ANYTHING ON THIS SITE
Posted by Solarman1969 9 years ago
Solarman1969
kill your television.

- popular bumper sticker from the 1970s

the strike has been great for America- less TV - more of ANYTHING else
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Blond guy,

I can admit I reacted in a harsh way. I apologize for that. I have actually voted for you on 2 of your debates. If you looked at a few other debates you will see that I voted for a person I did not agree with but thought had the better argument.

In the argument I provided the link for I don't see how you could of thought he had a better argument. He didn't even provide one. The fact that you stated you voted for him because you have the same opinion as him upset me especially after noticing you started a debate about people voting without reading the argument.
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
It's still an attempt to have everyone vote against me
Not to mention that you probably voted against me in every single one of my debates.
How is that hypocrisy? I voted for who had the best argument. If you have a reason as to why you voted against me in this one gimme your best shot.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Blond guy,

Really upsets you that you are caught "red handed" in your hypocrisy.

I don't need to report you to debate.org, just let everyone see you for the hypocrite you are is enough.

Don't see how even comes close to being a trick. People can see it for themselves.
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
goldspurs, if you don't like the way I vote, report me to debate.org

I'd rather say why I voted one way instead of being like those other 11 people who just voted without saying a word.

But instead, you'd rather be a jerk and use a cheap trick for no one to vote for me.
Posted by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
Do not vote for Blond guy, he is hypocritical with his vote. Look at this link and read his comment.

http://www.debate.org...
Posted by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
I totally agree
(I need 25 characters here)
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by machnt08 8 years ago
machnt08
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by wooferalot101 8 years ago
wooferalot101
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by out_n_proud_HINDU 8 years ago
out_n_proud_HINDU
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Out_and_Proud 9 years ago
Out_and_Proud
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by RonPaul08 9 years ago
RonPaul08
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Rousseau 9 years ago
Rousseau
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 9 years ago
eyeleapy
Randomknowledgeblond_guyTied