DarrenL1
Master123

Television should be educational.

Started: 12/23/2013 Category: TV

DarrenL1

Con

First round is Acceptance. Rounds will be in the falling order:
1. Information based on opinion. (Please no internet searches, unless for definitions.)
2. Refuting opponent's statements made in the first round.
3. Information based on fact and statistics.
4. Final arguments.

I wish my opponent good luck and thanks for accepting the challenge.
Master123

Pro

TV shows should be more educational to a young audience. When children sit in front of the TV they become to have a lack of intelligence and this causes failure in school. If TV was more educational children would be able to obtain more knowledge. Children almost more then eight hours of television and gain no knowledge. What I mean is shows like cartoons and other types of entertainment can cause a negative influence on children and their education as shown in the link. I know there are TV shows that focus about learning but we are talking about TV in general and how it makes children not intelligent. Here are examples of TV shows that cause children to become less intelligent
-Cartoons
-Video games< I suppose it counts>
(P.S I am not saying video games increase crime which I know it doesn't but I am putting it up because children are more influenced in it and it decreases their knowledge)
links:
http://www.buzzle.com...
http://www.psychologytoday.com...
http://www.tbd.com...

-There has been also studies that if there were more educational TV shows children would perform well
In the link above about SpongeBob, there was a study at a university and since SpongeBob is a cartoon they tested a selected few and it showed that they performed poorly on a test that was given the kids in the other group did more better then the ones who watched SpongeBob. This proves that TV needs to be more educational
- The average time of TV time watched is more then eight hours a week. This can cause laziness and like I said unintelligence. If TV shows were more motivated in learning children perform well in school.
http://www.livestrong.com...
In conclusion TV needs to be more educational for the need of children and there learning.
DarrenL1

Con

First off, I would like to reinstate the rules to my opponent.
1. Information based on opinion. (Please no Internet searches, unless for definitions.)
4. Final arguments.

I would like to make clear video games are an entirely different category.

Now I will follow the criteria in order to begin my opening argument: Information based on opinion.

I believe that programs that do not hold educational value spark creativity in the minds of children an well as adults and the elderly. (Keep in mind the topic is not focused on children.) Without creativity and imagination our society would follow textbook and it is apparent that working outside the box has led to wonderful things in our society. It has led to inventions, as well advancements in technology. If we followed textbook and did not use our imaginations we would still be stuck in an endless cycle of information. The mind's creativity is the foundation of all technology we create. I find that television is one of the biggest parts of our life and we need to keep it just the way it is. Television as it is now influences so many of our emotions. Such as: sense of humor, happiness, sorrow, etc.

To make a recap on the small amount of information I have chosen to give about in the second round.

I believe that television that is not educational is important to influence creativity, inspiration and thinking outside the box in all age groups. The mind's creativity is the stepping stones of our society and television educational and not is important and while I do believe parts of television should be educational. All of it should not.
Master123

Pro

The first round I didn't read the rules but now I will follow them
2nd round is refuting so now its time to refute.
You said this
'I believe that programs that do not hold educational value spark creativity in the minds of children an well as adults and the elderly. (Keep in mind the topic is not focused on children.) Without creativity and imagination our society would follow textbook and it is apparent that working outside the box has led to wonderful things in our society. It has led to inventions, as well advancements in technology. If we followed textbook and did not use our imaginations we would still be stuck in an endless cycle of information. The mind's creativity is the foundation of all technology we create. I find that television is one of the biggest parts of our life and we need to keep it just the way it is. Television as it is now influences so many of our emotions. Such as: sense of humor, happiness, sorrow, etc.'

To refute that:
Where is your proof? Giving a statement with no proof does not back up your claim.
How do you know it will follow textbooks? Why do you think we have video games and board games. Those things are for child entertainment.
Creativity is inside of us why do you think some people who are well artist knows how to draw things out of the box. I am going to say that feelings are born inside of us you don't have to watch TV in order to feel happy, sad, etc.

If it influences feelings it has a negative effect on people like it increases the violence if it was more educational children would not get their violence from lots of TV. I know if TV was educational violence will happen but it will make it decrease.
You could get inspired by TV but that is the reasons they have art films.
Most cartoons should be more educational not all but many must become more education.
Feelings are inside the heart of the body. It will always happens you don't need to watch TV to gain happiness.
Long time ago when there was no TV and during the recantation from medieval times the society focused on learning and discovery. You are saying educational TV makes the society not worry so much about fun but just books. Just like I said during that time there was no TV and the society was about inventing and discovery.
I am hoping that my opponent has a well written argument
DarrenL1

Con

My opponent has yet again disregarded or misread the rules. The first round following round 2 was to base your statements upon opinion which you accused me of not giving sources to. I will cite sources used at the bottom of my debate [1].

Now I will begin to refute my opponents conjecture.

"How do you know it will follow textbooks? Why do you think we have video games and board games. Those things are for child entertainment."

Boards games and video games were inspired by television [2]. I also happen to believe that you participate in watching shows that do not possess educational value. Some of your decisions must have been developed by watching television that doesn't possess educational value. Free from cartoons I am speaking of the following:[3]

Reality shows (As stupid as some may seem.)
Game shows
Sporting Events
The news

Reality shows

Reality shows give us a glimpse of what other cultures exist around the world and good morals to follow if the right examples are set. Reality shows give us insight on other people's opinions and lifestyles.

Game shows

Game shows can make us experience happiness and joy or sorrow towards the player of the show. It can also show us how some people react under pressure to current situations.

Sporting Events

Sporting events inspire kids to get out there and get in the game. Watching their favorite teams and athletes can inspire all age groups to participate and get healthy!

The news

Most news stations inform current events that may pertain to us and help us prepare ourselves for possible future events that would affect us.

Television that is not education obviously plays a huge role in our society and how we function and act. How we understand different people and their cultures, their emotions and their struggles. It helps us get inspired by watching other people. It also informs us of all the things that pertain to us.

"If it influences feelings it has a negative effect on people like it increases the violence if it was more educational children would not get their violence from lots of TV."

Yes television can increase violence it is evident. How can this eliminate all TV that is not educational as a whole. Yes, violent programming is not a good thing. We could set restrictions on that for children. You are missing the value behind TV as it is. We must not focus on violence we must focus on the topic as a whole.

"Long time ago when there was no TV and during the recantation from medieval times the society focused on learning and discovery. You are saying educational TV makes the society not worry so much about fun but just books. Just like I said during that time there was no TV and the society was about inventing and discovery."

Yes, but due to your 'extensive research' you must know that invention has increased dramatically in the last 500 years and even more in the last 50 or so years right around the time the television showed up on the market. Even more in the last 30 years when television introduced leading to cell phones and other technology which you must currently be on at the moment to be on this website http://en.wikipedia.org.... Suggesting that perhaps television has played a significant role.

Also, how could education television yield new ideas when the same material is being shown to viewers over and over again.

Please take the time voters to study my opponents Round 2 statements where he excessively made grammar and spelling mistakes as well as punctuation, and failed again to follow the rules of the debate.

"I am hoping that my opponent has a well written argument"

Please.

[1] My opinions.
[2]http://money.cnn.com...
[3]http://www.ehow.com...
Master123

Pro

Master123 forfeited this round.
DarrenL1

Con

DarrenL1 forfeited this round.
Master123

Pro

Master123 forfeited this round.
DarrenL1

Con

DarrenL1 forfeited this round.
Master123

Pro

Master123 forfeited this round.
Posted by Gohan12345 3 years ago
Gohan12345
dude you used research from pc look at ur source so u both broke ur own rules
Posted by Gohan12345 3 years ago
Gohan12345
he did follow the second round one of refuting and I found no grammar mistakes
Posted by Master123 3 years ago
Master123
I think he gets conduct
Posted by Master123 3 years ago
Master123
Woops didn't read it