jmo377
Korashk

Televison Affects Children

jmo377

Pro

Have you ever wondered, what is happening to children as they watch television? Watching too much television harms children and should be limited. There are behavioral and physical effects caused by watching too much television.
One problem caused by watching television is obesity. Television allows a child to be inactive for long periods of time. "Children in the United states watch an average of three hours of television a day."(1) Also the commercials on television encourage unhealthy eating habits. For example, Oreos are advertised in a very fun and creative way. When children see that they begin to want them. How many times do you see dancing pieces of lettuce or carrots or something on television? Television makes unhealthy food look attractive. Obesity is just one of the physical issues caused by watching television, but there are others as well.
Some behavioral issues are caused by television too. One issue is violence. Many children watch violence on television every day. They begin to think it is normal for that kind of behavior and start acting in that way as well. "The hero of TV shows never gets in trouble for his/her violent actions."(2) Many shows show the violent character as the "good guy". They also show the character not being harmed as they would in real life. Children need to know and understand that violence is bad and needs to be avoided. By watching television they are only encouraged to do violent acts. Another behavioral issue is a child being antisocial. Children will begin to focus only on what is in front of them instead of the world around them. By this statement I mean they will block out whoever is talking to them in order to pay attention to the television show that is on at that time.
These problems are only some of the effects of television. This is becoming an issue for children of all ages and there needs to be a stop to this problem. People can stop this issue by limiting their own viewing of television and control their children's habit of it as well.

(1)http://weightloss.about.com...
(2)http://www.turnoffyourtv.com...
Korashk

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for having this debate and hope that it is a good one.

Based on my opponent's opening argument I will assume that the full resolution of this debate is that "Watching too much television harms children and should be limited," not that television simply affects children which as dollydo very well states, "The media affects us all, it does not just apply to children." With that I will begin my rebuttals.

~~~~~~~
Rebuttals
~~~~~~~

"One problem caused by watching television is obesity. Television allows a child to be inactive for long periods of time...Also the commercials on television encourage unhealthy eating habits...How many times do you see dancing pieces of lettuce or carrots or something on television?"

[There are 24 hours in your given day, lets say that your average child spends 8 or 9 of those asleep, 7 of them at school, and 1 of them eating meals. If we also add your sources average of 3 hours of television watching that leaves at least 4 hours to be active [1]. On a daily basis this is much more than enough to get a child's recommended amount of daily activity [2]. Also, here are some dancing vegetables from a PBS show [3].]

"Some behavioral issues are caused by television too. One issue is violence. Many children watch violence on television every day. They begin to think it is normal for that kind of behavior and start acting in that way as well. "The hero of TV shows never gets in trouble for his/her violent actions."(2) Many shows show the violent character as the "good guy". They also show the character not being harmed as they would in real life. Children need to know and understand that violence is bad and needs to be avoided. By watching television they are only encouraged to do violent acts. Another behavioral issue is a child being antisocial. Children will begin to focus only on what is in front of them instead of the world around them. By this statement I mean they will block out whoever is talking to them in order to pay attention to the television show that is on at that time."

[The first thing that I would like to point out is that your source (2) paints a very biased picture about violence on television. With that said I will now bring up the ratings system used on American television. It ranges from Y which is safe for all kids to MA which is only for legal adults. These ratings are put in place so that parents know the general content of the show that their child is watching. There are even sub-ratings such as D, S, L, and V. If a program has any of these sub-ratings then it contains an above average amount of some content that is normally found in programs of this rating. The V sub-rating is for violence [4]. If a parent is concerned about the amount of violence that their child is watching then they should not allow their children to watch any programs that may contain violence.]

~~~~~~~~~~~
My Argument(s)
~~~~~~~~~~~

While there is a lot of television that could be considered harmful to children there is also a lot that is beneficial. These programs include, but are not limited to:

*Dora the Explorer
*Playhouse Disney
*All children's programming on PBS
*Baby Einstein

These types of shows are considered educational television and are proved to be beneficial to children [5,6].

I look forward to my opponent's response and again hope for a good debate.

[1] 24 - 9 - 7 - 3 - 1 = 4
[2] http://www.cdc.gov...
[3] Vegetable Soup
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[5] http://www.medialit.org...
[6] http://www.associatedcontent.com...
jmo377

Pro

I did not state that it only affects children. I know for a fact it doesn't, but these bad habits and ways of living start when they are young and get worse as they get older. So if we try to limit this issue at a young age we are likely to have less problems when they are older. Yes, there are educational shows and videos out there for children to watch, but is a 15 year old really going to watch Dora the Explorer?! I don't think so. Oh, but maybe they should watch the history channel. How many kids do you know want to watch that? I'm not really sure if I would want to. Yes, there are plenty more hours in a day to be active. Television viewing slows down the metabolism rate on most children. With slower metabolisms, the child will be less willing to be active or have the desire to do their everyday activities. One website states, "Slow metabolism - watching TV may slow the metabolism more than simply doing nothing."(1) Also there is another health effect that is becoming more common caused by television viewing. "It was linked to significantly higher blood pressure in children — the more TV kids watched, the higher their blood pressure — and the effect held true regardless of whether a child was heavy or at a healthy weight."(2) Those are again, only a few of the health effects from watching television. Yes, there are some good things that can be gained by watching television, but overall it is not smart to get into bad habits and live bad lifestyles.

(1)http://www.eufic.org...
(2)http://www.time.com...
Korashk

Con

Since my opponent did not contest my interpretation of the resolution I will assume that I was correct and will continue to argue in this fashion.

Definition:
Child: an unborn or recently born person or a young person especially between infancy and youth.
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

~~~~~~~
Rebuttals
~~~~~~~

"Yes, there are educational shows and videos out there for children to watch, but is a 15 year old really going to watch Dora the Explorer?! I don't think so."

[I agree that not many 15 year old individuals watch Dora the Explorer, but I wouldn't call a 15 year old a child either. In your arguments I will assume that when you say child what you mean when you say that is minor whereas when I said it I was using the above definition. To respond to your point though a lot of minors that I know enjoy watching the Discovery Channel [7]. This station is a very informative one that would enhance anyone's knowledge about the world.]

"Television viewing slows down the metabolism rate on most children. With slower metabolisms, the child will be less willing to be active or have the desire to do their everyday activities. One website states, 'Slow metabolism - watching TV may slow the metabolism more than simply doing nothing.' "

[Your source (1) is comparing watching more television vs doing nothing, not vs a healthy lifestyle, and I would like to point out that the referenced study is ongoing, without conclusive evidence that shows that watching television alone decreases one's metabolic rate the source is invalid. It is also worth noting that one can increase their metabolic rate with physical activity [8].]

" 'It was linked to significantly higher blood pressure in children — the more TV kids watched, the higher their blood pressure — and the effect held true regardless of whether a child was heavy or at a healthy weight.' "

[This article again only focuses on those who ave sedentary lifestyles coupled with watching too much television. Also in the article it states that the children used in the study were sedentary for five hours, which is more than the average. Until you show that even without a sedentary lifestyle that television in and of itself harms children I have successfully upholded my burden of clash.]

[7] http://i47.tinypic.com... , http://i46.tinypic.com...
[8] http://sportsmedicine.about.com...
jmo377

Pro

jmo377 forfeited this round.
Korashk

Con

That is unfortunate. I extend my position and strongly urge a con vote.
Posted by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
I guss I shouod RFD myself because this was only a 1 forfeit debate.

Conduct: Con, Pro forfeited r3
Spelling: Con, Both of Pro's arguments consist of one solid block of text and I noticed spelling errors. Also, the way I see it when a person forfeits a round hey spell nothing correct in said round.
Arguments: Con, duh
Sources: Con, Pro's sources did not adequately support his position.
Posted by mattrodstrom 7 years ago
mattrodstrom
"television affects children"

indeed.
Posted by Kinesis 7 years ago
Kinesis
I watched massive amounts of T.V. as a little kid, and I turned out alright...
Posted by jmo377 7 years ago
jmo377
I agree that it does not affect only children, that is why I didn't state that it affects only children. Also it isn't the main cause of obesity, but it still does relate. Anything that has to do with inactivity can lead to being overweight. Also if a child is used to watching television they start getting into bad habits and then end up not wanting to do anything. They will often quit other activities like athletics and extracurriculars. Thanks for your opinion.
Posted by dollydo 7 years ago
dollydo
The media affects us all, it does not just apply to children. More through persuasive abilities, repetition, color usage, and visual effects. For example, commercials are programmed at certain times to target specific groups of people. You will have a better argument if you state that media is one factor that affects children. Also I wouldn't relate prolonged t.v. watching to obesity. It is all about a child's lifestyle at home, and can vary from one family to the next. I will stay tuned! :)
Posted by lziggyrun12 7 years ago
lziggyrun12
Sitting in front of the computer is just as harmful as television, if not worse. I really need to start being more active...
Vote Placed by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
jmo377KorashkTied
Vote Placed by XimenBao 7 years ago
XimenBao
jmo377KorashkTied
Vote Placed by jmo377 7 years ago
jmo377
jmo377KorashkTied
Vote Placed by Kenostic 7 years ago
Kenostic
jmo377KorashkTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
jmo377KorashkTied
Vote Placed by Korashk 7 years ago
Korashk
jmo377KorashkTied