MyDinosaurHands
UltimateRussian

Telltale Walking Dead vs. COD (See for more)

MyDinosaurHands
Started: 2/8/2014 Category: Games

MyDinosaurHands

Pro

Full Resolution: The game series 'The Walking Dead', made by Telltale productions is better for gaming as an art/entertainment medium than COD is. By 'better for', I mean keeps gaming relevant and brings more fans to the gaming industry and keep fans happier and more devoted. Sales statistics may be used, but they may not be the only thing used. Sales alone do not determine the good or bad effect a game has on gaming as a whole, and therefore our arguments should not be centered on sales alone.

I, Pro, will be saying that The Walking Dead is better for the gaming industry as an art/entertainment medium.

Con will be saying that the COD franchise is better for the gaming industry as an art/entertainment medium.

If anybody wishes for further clarifications please drop a question in the comments, thanks.
UltimateRussian

Con

Call of duty is superior because every game includes new additions such as zombies, maps and extinction mode while the walking dead only features new terrain and more zombies. It also has little capability for an effective multiplayer mode which call of duty has at a very high level. As an adventure game is meant on exploring and a well planned campaign which call of duty has, COD is a superior game than the Walking Dead.
MyDinosaurHands

Pro

Thanks for the quick acceptance.

I will first be listing reasons why the Walking Dead is good for gaming.

Playability
The Walking Dead game series' game mechanics involves pointing and clicking. So if you're new to gaming, and unfamiliar with a controller, this game is an easy entry way into gaming. The gaming industry is likely to retain more new gamers if they play this game because people will be less likely to become frustrated with a learning curve with controls and subsequently quit.

Great Story
This game has a great story, and that's not just me saying so[1][2][3]. Any review from any reputable source will tell you that The Walking Dead's story is fantastic. The storyline will allow you to control the path you take, therein making you much more emotional as the game progresses, because your actions have consequences. Games like COD can be intimidating for non-gamers, because almost every moment of the story is spent aiming and shooting before someone aims at and shoots you. It's a skill oriented atmosphere, and as I said, intimidating. The Walking Dead offers none of this, and while there are high-tension moments, the game is not formulated around them, it is instead formulated around emotional attachment and a high level of player choice, both of which are easier to execute without having amazing gaming skills.

Additionally, the episodic, story-centered game resembles a TV show that one is interacting with, and so people who are big fans of weekly TV shows may find some common ground with the Walking Dead.

The Brand
The Telltale Walking Dead series shares a brand with the TV show The Walking Dead, which is extremely popular[4][5]. Given that the brand is shared, fans of the TV show are now more likely to pick up a copy of the game and give it a shot. And for the reasons given above, it's likely any non-gamers will become gamers after the positive experience had with this game.

Now I will be presenting reasons why COD is bad for the gaming industry.

Some reasons for why COD is bad for the industry came up in the previous section, and I won't make you read those reasons twice.

Poor Retention
People are starting to get sick of COD's annualized games, as evidenced by the fact that Ghosts only profited 50% of what Black Ops 2 did[6].

When gamers grow up, and begin to notice that the COD experience is almost entirely the same as it has always been, are they more likely to leave gaming for their more adult pursuits, or keep playing what much of the public now perceives as 'repackaged garbage'?

As gamers grow older, they need more mature experiences, in order to match their growing maturity. Games like The Walking Dead can offer that. The Walking Dead, through virtue of its ingenuity and mature stories will help retain gamers who have grown up. But, due to COD's constant yearly production of very similar games, people will grow bored with COD once they grow up, and may just leave gaming in general, thinking there are better ways to entertain themselves. In short, COD is losing the industry aging players.

Makes Us Look Bad
Let's be honest, we all know why COD produces a game a year. It's for the money. As an industry that is meant to produce games, seeing a company that is more concerned with profit than quality is of course a shame to us, and a poor reflection of what our industry is becoming. The lack of real innovation makes the gaming industry look the stale and after a while, boring.

COD's one year production cycle prevents any real amount of innovation or change in gaming. And of course other game companies need to compete with COD or else they won't be able to make games, period. This means many companies may be forced into annualized or bi-annualized production cycles, therein reducing their innovation too. COD isn't only hurting its own image, it's forcing other games to act like COD is, and hurt their images too, which of course affects the overall perception of the gaming industry.

Rebuttals
My opponent has brought up the fact that Ghosts has added some new stuff. I don't care if it did, and clearly much of the gaming community don't either, evidenced by my earlier link showing Ghosts' bum sales. The general view is that COD is repackaged garbage, and many people have decided to stop giving it more chances, and so whether or not it is reality that COD is repackaged garbage, that is how it has come to be perceived.

My opponent also says that COD has a superior campaign when compared to The Walking Dead's. While I have played all the COD campaigns and think the Black Ops campaigns are good, they aren't particularily unique. The cutscenes might have some new stuff in it, but the rest of the game is shooting enemies that the game puts in front of you, and occasionally getting a shiny new toy to use once and then never use again. The Walking Dead's campaign is unique. Not only unique in concept but unique in its effect on people. The Walking Dead's campaign was so well written, so well illustrated, so well voice acted, that people cried at the end of Season One[7]. I did. And then I cried Episode 1 Season 2, and while a stranger on the internet saying he is no crybaby may not convince you, I'll say it anyhow: I'm no crybaby. I realize that source isn't particularily definitive, but I wanted to back it up with something, so yeah. I highly doubt ANY of COD's campaigns made any normal human being cry.

And perhaps some of you will say, "So TWD made people cry and COD didn't, crying isn't the criteria for a good game." You may be right there but consider this, what has been done more? Awesome soldier fantasy games that are like an interactive Michael Bay film, or games that run up and stab you right in the heart? The one that has been done more has also been done too much, and it's beginning to make the industry look uninnovative.

WARNING:
Do not view link 7 if you want to avoid spoilers for The Walking Dead.

[1] http://tay.kotaku.com...
[2] http://www.gamefaqs.com...
[3] http://www.ign.com...
[4] http://www.deadline.com...
[5] http://www.latimes.com...
[6] http://www.mapmodnews.com...
[7] http://www.gamefaqs.com...
UltimateRussian

Con

UltimateRussian forfeited this round.
UltimateRussian

Con

UltimateRussian forfeited this round.
MyDinosaurHands

Pro

I would ask that my opponent not post any arguments in the following round, seeing as it'll take away my normally allotted opportunity to respond to new arguments.
UltimateRussian

Con

UltimateRussian forfeited this round.
Posted by Aleksandr 3 years ago
Aleksandr
Also, "The Walking Dead Video Game" Don't even, just no.
Posted by Aleksandr 3 years ago
Aleksandr
First sentence by OOOH SHIIT!
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
MyDinosaurHandsUltimateRussianTied
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
MyDinosaurHandsUltimateRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit, so I give Pro all points. Pros arguments were sourced and logically layed out, its a pity Con went and forfeited. This debate had great potential.
Vote Placed by Xerge 3 years ago
Xerge
MyDinosaurHandsUltimateRussianTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit