WeaponE
zdog234

Term Limits should continue

WeaponE

Pro

I shall now start with my opening statment, if there were no term limits then the government would be much easier to corrupt. If the same person could be president in an unlimited number of times then it would be simple for that administration could rig election after election continuiing their reign of power until they die. Literally giving us presidents for life. Now to make sure that there are no confusions, a term limit is a limit on how many times a person can become president, i.e. 2 terms.

I now await you response, Zane.
zdog234

Con

I would first like to point out that since this is a policy debate my opponent can't change his argument, he can only add onto what he already has.

This means that all I have to do is disprove his one argument and I have won the debate.

I will begin this by pointing out that he has no evidence that a president without term limits would want to rig the elections. Since he has failed to present any I will show you evidence that a president would not corrupt the system.

Franklin D. Roosevelt was born January 30th 1882, he was elected to four terms in office, from 1933 to 1945. During this time he saw America through WW2 and the great depression. He is regarded as one of the top three presidents of all time (usually with Abraham LIncoln, and George Washington.)

I ask that judges review these pages before making their decision.

My second argument is that it is nearly impossible to rig an election. It would take an incredible amount of manpower and money to successfully rig an election. There is no evidence of it in the history of the United States, and the president does not have any legal ability to rig an election. I await my opponents counter.

What facts will you dig up Emmet? I'm waiting...
WeaponE

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate, now...

You say that i have no evidence to support my claim. Neither do you that the lack of Term Limits would help. Yes, Rossevelt was an amazing president, but one of the few. Last I checked, there are inly 4 heads on Mt. Rushmoore, and can't think of a president who would be added with those great men.

Plus, it is very easy to rig an election with the technology that is avalilable to us today. In '04, all of the voting machines were owned by the Republicans, Kerry was expected to win in a land-slide, Bush gets re-elected. You also say that the President doesn't have the legal ability to rig an election but, with the right connections and incentives anybody can be persuaded to anything.

There is also the other point of the Term Limits, to limit power of one political power. With this in place, it allows both parties an equal chance at power in thw White House.

Another fact, since 3/4ths of the politicians in congress voted for the amendment, and they obviously know more about the political world than us, there has to have been a good reason for it.

And almost always, when one man is given to much power he is corrupted by it. Though in some very exceptional people it is false, in most it is true. Without this, then it would only be a few steps away from having a president for life.
zdog234

Con

First of all, I would like to point out that my opponent has not used any sources. By default this makes his arguments null and void.

Now I would like to point some things out

1) My opponent's spelling of Roosevelt, Rushmore, and only.
Source: my spell check

"Last I checked, there are inly 4 heads on Mt. Rushmoore, and can't think of a president who would be added with those great men."

2) I don't see how the number, or selection of heads on Rushmore means anything, they were selected by a sculptor that had little or no experience in politics.

"Plus, it is very easy to rig an election with the technology that is avalilable to us today."

3) My opponent has not given any evidence of this, nor has he given any sources or examples of this technology. This means that this argument is null and void.

"In '04, all of the voting machines were owned by the Republicans,"

4) There is no evidence given that George Bush, or any other candidate rigged the 2004 election. This makes my opponents argument, again: null and void.

"You also say that the President doesn't have the legal ability to rig an election but, with the right connections and incentives anybody can be persuaded to anything."

5) Since my opponent has not presented any examples, evidence, or sources of these "connections" this argument is also: Null and void

"There is also the other point of the Term Limits, to limit power of one political power. With this in place, it allows both parties an equal chance at power in thw White House."

6) What my opponent fails to realize is that term limits only apply to the presidency. The House of Representatives and The Senate have no term limits. I don't see how term limits level out the playing field, considering that there will almost be the same number of candidates from each party.

"Another fact, since 3/4ths of the politicians in congress voted for the amendment, and they obviously know more about the political world than us, there has to have been a good reason for it."

7) It wouldn't be the first time congress has passed an unconstitutional or non-useful law.
http://www.earlyamerica.com...

"And almost always, when one man is given to much power he is corrupted by it. Though in some very exceptional people it is false, in most it is true. Without this, then it would only be a few steps away from having a president for life."

8) Again, my opponent has not given any examples, or sources, making his argument invalid.

9) Term limits keep a stranglehold on liberty. It keeps people from voting for who they want. This is supported by my opponents definition of term limits.

10) Even if a corrupt president remains in office, The Legislative branch can either override his veto or impeach (charge with treason) him. And I would like to point out that the Legislative and Judicial branches are doing fine without term limits. (the judicial branch even holds their position for life)
http://www.law.cornell.edu...
http://www.law.cornell.edu...

11) Elimination of term limits does not mean there can't be any safeguards to protect from a constitutional monarchy. For example, you can make it so someone can only have two consecutive terms, but after someone else has one or two full terms in between, they can be reelected.

12) All of my opponent's arguments have been disproved. In fact, since he is not supposed to make new arguments, I have eliminated more arguments than necessary.

13) My opponent has lost unless he can prove his original argument (that a corrupt lifelong presidency would be created)

I restate my argument: Term limits keep people from voting for who they want. It would be fine if there was a limit of consecutive terms instead of total terms. This would keep people from The only president that ever passed the two term mark is usually among the top three presidents of all time (Franklin Roosevelt.) I have already given my sources for this (see con 1)
WeaponE

Pro

WeaponE forfeited this round.
zdog234

Con

I continue all of my former arguments. Let's hope he comes back for round 4 and 5. Now I must get 100 characters.
WeaponE

Pro

WeaponE forfeited this round.
zdog234

Con

I continue all of my arguments. This character limit is really annoying. I must reach 100 characters
WeaponE

Pro

WeaponE forfeited this round.
zdog234

Con

zdog234 forfeited this round.
Posted by imjustme 9 years ago
imjustme
I think debating is not all about having sources. Its more on proving that certain statements are realistic and has logical sense.

Btw, Wikipedia is a reliable source because if they think that the article is null they put disclaimers and all.
Posted by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
"First of all, I would like to point out that my opponent has not used any sources. By default this makes his arguments null and void. Wikipedia isn't a reliable source thus your points should be nulled.
Posted by imjustme 9 years ago
imjustme
Having a long term in office doesn't automatically equate that you are already corrupt. Even if you change the people a thousand times, It will still remain the same if the "influence" and the current system that makes them corrupt still exists.

Having term limits would erase the chance of Long term development cause all of this politicians have to create campaigns, then give their administration(only the at their time)the brightest moment meaning those projects that will only shine during their time. So after their term they will be the ones remembered by society and still have the influence. And when their term ends, another president will do the same and the cycle continues.
Posted by Extempjordan 9 years ago
Extempjordan
I believe the pro personally, but the con does logically win. He had a better supporting argument and evidence as well.
Posted by bthr004 9 years ago
bthr004
Con clear victor with facts to back up his argument, pro was starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist. One other good arguement would have been that history before the term limits showed a pretty steady cycle of presidential elections in this nation.
Pro could have coutered with the simple point that FDR died in his last term and therefore no way of telling how much longer he would have presided.
Posted by DucoNihilum 9 years ago
DucoNihilum
FDR was a HORRIBLE president. He brought the socialist revolution to America.
Posted by candygirl_s 9 years ago
candygirl_s
Zane, MUST everything be null and void to you???
Posted by zdog234 9 years ago
zdog234
Vote based on best logical argument. Please read the arguments.
Posted by turtlecool2 9 years ago
turtlecool2
Rofl thats a funny topic, i agree that it should be 2 years.
Vote Placed by ally93 9 years ago
ally93
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by turtlecool2 9 years ago
turtlecool2
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by zdog234 9 years ago
zdog234
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by LakevilleNorthJT 9 years ago
LakevilleNorthJT
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by imjustme 9 years ago
imjustme
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by WeaponE 9 years ago
WeaponE
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by Extempjordan 9 years ago
Extempjordan
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by CaliBeachgirl 9 years ago
CaliBeachgirl
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by bthr004 9 years ago
bthr004
WeaponEzdog234Tied
Vote Placed by LedLegend 9 years ago
LedLegend
WeaponEzdog234Tied