m-nevermore
TheBlueWizard

Terra is a horrible character.

m-nevermore

Pro

Seriously, Terra broke everyone's trust. Even Raven's which requires a lot of work to gain her trust. She could have believed the Titans and left Slade in his stupid business of crime, but noooo. She had to attempt to kill everyone and then change everyone's opinion about her by sacrificing for an obvious choice. Would you die a hero (back-stabbing bitch who is a terrible example of a hero but still saved people; so technically a hero) or just a criminal that broke poor Beast Boy's heart? Also, Raven was devastated that she actually trusted Terra. Terra is a terrible character that doesn't know which option in her life is a better one. The Titans were perfectly capable of handling Slade, but Terra had to leave the Titans and allow Slade to influence her life. At least the Titans won't do what Slade did. She could have relied on her "friends" but she decided not to. Look what happened. Why would you go to Slade? Why wouldn't you join your friends and be safe? See how easy it is to pick? She could have prevented all that killing, breaking of trust and heart, and turning in to a statue. It is all her fault this outcome happened. Trying to kill your friend, breaking a hard gained trust and love from a person, destroying half the city then saving her reputation is not what I call heroism. She should get a better life. So, I believe that Terra was a horrible character.
TheBlueWizard

Con

I accept this debate. First I will present my case, then I will address my opponent's.

Con's Case

I have key argument for my case. That is Terra's complexity. This debate isn't about her morality or whether she was a 'good guy' or 'bad guy', this is about her value as a character. In this regard we can see that she is a superb character, arguably the best on the show. What Terra did was show a real shade of gray in a show that was mostly focused on black and white.

She came from a troubled background not a only as the extra-ordinary aspect but as a normal, relate-able aspect as well. Terra was someone who regularly traveled, she tried to help people along the way but ended up making situations worse. She felt as though she couldn't get anything right. Her adoption into the Titans and apprenticeship by Slade really played into that. She saw the opportunity to be something more with the Titans but then slid back into cynicism with Slade, thinking that she really couldn't be a force for good in the world. She was a complicated character who, in the end, is impossible to classify as a true hero or villain.

Now onto Pro's case

Refutations of Pro

My opponent's case seems to revolve around Terra's indecisiveness and actions. But again, I have to restate, the fact that she is unsure of herself and distrustful of the people that claim to be her friends, and the fact that she is a shade of gray, really plays to the strength of the character. Really, the introduction of such conflicted character into the black and white universe of DCAU is something that was not only necessary, but well executed, The fact that she did take these actions is what cements her as a quality character.

I await my opponent's rebuttals.
m-nevermore

Pro

Sure, she had a horrible background and all that, but didn't all the Titans have a tight background? Raven was always under the pressure that she might destroy the world someday. Beast Boy is under the guilt that he could have saved his parents from their death, but he did nothing. Robin's parent died. Starfire was given to her enemy by her planet to restore peace. Isn't that bad enough? Terra wasn't the only one that has a horrible background. Apparently, every character in the Teen Titans series have some kind of tragic story behind their life. Terra's background shouldn't be her excuse for being a traitor. Everyone else held, even with that much guilt. How different is Terra's life from the other Titans? Her background isn't her issue. The Titans did give a chance to her. She had a chance to control her powers with her "friends." But she didn't. She could have practiced her powers with Raven and Starfire. Even Raven and Starfire don't have perfect control over their powers. Raven has her slips. Starfire floats when happy and produces green starbolts when angry without intention to do so. Slade wasn't the only one to offer knowledge of controlling her powers. The Titans offered too. She just picked the wrong person for help. Also, for your information, Terra could have left Slade's reach easily by staying with the Titans, but she allowed Slade to have control over her. She should have chosen wisely. She did enjoy trying to kill (eliminate, whatever, same thing) the Titans. She had a smirk on her face when she dunked Raven in intention of drowning her. I do agree that evil wasn't in her heart at first, but she let the black in her heart grow and overcome the white. Slade wasn't controlling Terra when the Titans first met her. Why couldn't she decide then? She could have prevented all of this. But she's stupid enough to not trust the Titans. The Titans were nice to her. You should trust observations, not words of the person that never personally knew the topic. Slade's trash talk about the Titans shouldn't work to normal, sane, and heroic people. She back-stabbed everyone that trusted her and all she did when she saved Jump City was (finally!) choosing the best option of the two. She saved her reputation rather than ruining it more. At least that's my opinion.
If anyone doesn't know the original Teen Titans TV series, go to www.watchcartoononline.com and search for Teen Titans, not Teen Titans Go. There's a difference. One's crazier, and one's more logical. Watch the 16 ,21 ,23 ,25, and 26th episode. Especially watch Aftershock Part 1 and 2.
TheBlueWizard

Con

TheBlueWizard forfeited this round.
m-nevermore

Pro

I understand what you mean by Terra being not that bad, but I have never thought highly of her. I do not like people that lie and betray people, even if they make it up at the end. Your opinion is yours, and my opinion is mine. I hope I said something that made sense, for this is my first debate. I just think that she shouldn't have gone so far to back stab her friends. I am done writing my opinion about this topic, but I would be glad if you responded in my friendly conversation I started in the comments section. If you have other things to say about this topic, please do put it on. I would happily reply. However, if you don't, I hope you would like to put some comments on my questions in the comments tab. Thank you!!!
TheBlueWizard

Con

TheBlueWizard forfeited this round.
m-nevermore

Pro

m-nevermore forfeited this round.
TheBlueWizard

Con

TheBlueWizard forfeited this round.
Posted by m-nevermore 2 years ago
m-nevermore
I really don't care who Cyborg gets... just wishing him luck on finding the right girl for him. Now for Starfire and Robin, I think they're soulmates or something.
For bbrae, I kindda think of them as cute. Like yin and yang, polar opposites, blah, blah, blah. That's why I support it.
Posted by m-nevermore 2 years ago
m-nevermore
Themoongirl, my favorite pairing is apparently bbrae. They look cute together, and their serious moments are really nice to watch. Now my question is.. Do you support cybee or cyjinx?
Posted by themoongirl 2 years ago
themoongirl
Ohmigosh I feel the same. Batman can be as cool as he wants, but Robin, no, Batman like made him obsessed with everything but sharing his feelings.
Posted by m-nevermore 2 years ago
m-nevermore
They are really cute, themoongirl.... but hate it when Robin is obsessed with Slade. Sometimes hate Batman for him to train Robin to be shy to emotions... sometimes..
Posted by themoongirl 2 years ago
themoongirl
Terra is an amazing person and m-nevermore, I so agree with you on the pairs. I think that Robbie and Starfire are the cutest:):):)
Posted by m-nevermore 2 years ago
m-nevermore
Cool! My favorite is Raven, Beast Boy, Starfire, and Mas and Menos. Raven's my favorite. I ship BBRAE (yay!!), ROBSTAR, Jinx/Kid Flash, and Cybee.
Posted by birdlandmemories 2 years ago
birdlandmemories
Terra Jinx Raven and Beast Boy are my favorites
Posted by m-nevermore 2 years ago
m-nevermore
Oh, and also, when I said character, I didn't mean is at a "person's trait," character, but character in general. Same definition as "Belle is a character in the Beauty and the Beast." Sorry if you misunderstood.
Posted by m-nevermore 2 years ago
m-nevermore
Sorry if I seem too biased. Maybe I do.. But I do have a strong opinion about Terra, and I do want to see what Terra supporters have to say about her, TheBlueWizard. Personally, I'm a Raven fan. What is your favorite character?