Michaelasmith1998
AdamKG

Testing on animals is wrong!

AdamKG

Michaelasmith1998

Pro

Why would animals be any less important than humans? They practically sustain us in our life, and they are the main reason that we are even still alive!!
AdamKG

Con

I look forward to debating with you. Animals are generally treated well and humanely during experimentation (Animal Welfare Act of 1966). I question your opinion argument "If we use animals for experimentation, then they will all die". How would that happen exactly? We are humans and we are at the top of the food chain so that makes us de facto superior. We wish to sustain ourselves and for that to happen we need to dominate the other animal species, but we should be humane about it as well.
Michaelasmith1998

Pro

Here are just a few reasons why I am against animal testing:
Over 100 million animals are burned, crippled, poisoned and abused in U.S. labs every year.Even animals that are protected under the AWA can be abused and tortured. And the law does not require the use of valid alternatives to animals, even if they are available. In tests of potential carcinogens, subjects are given a substance every day for two years. Others tests involve killing pregnant animals and testing their fetuses.
AdamKG

Con

Here are a few reasons why I am for animal testing:
Without animal testing medical science today would not exist. Artificial insulin, vaccines, tetanus, antibiotics, organ transplantation, AIDS treatments, and cardiac pacemakers all would not exist among other advancements. We would still be stuck in medicine dating back to before the 19th century before animal testing became more standard. Imagine a world without modern medicine! Viable alternatives for most medical experiments do not exist.
Michaelasmith1998

Pro

I have to admit that even though I am against animal testing, you have proven a very strong point. Animal testing is mainly the reason for all of the modern medical vaccines and such that we have today. Although, I believe that testing on animals for those reasons may be alright, I think it is just wrong to use them to test cosmetics (even if I am a girl). I hate putting animals through that sort of torture just so that supermodels can make themselves look 'pretty'. Thank you.
AdamKG

Con

Thank you for acknowledging my argument. Animals in cosmetics research is used to prove the cosmetic products are safe for consumers. There are viable alternatives to animal testing when developing cosmetics even though the United States is largely behind in adopting them. The European Union has already banned animal testing with cosmetics and the UK has made significant progress. With America's strict consumer safety laws it is unlikely that we will adopt alternatives in the near future.
Posted by Octavian_Peace 3 years ago
Octavian_Peace
I agree with the servant analogy- it cannot be said that non-humans and humans are on the same level and as such they must be treated differently.
Posted by Seeginomikata 3 years ago
Seeginomikata
Think about it this way: The animals you see in your daily life are only alive in the first place because humans made it possible for them. Humans have the ability to alter their environment to suit their needs. Animals and plants that are unable to adapt to our new environment die out by process of natural selection. The animals today are only alive because either they have adapted to the new human-controlled world in order to prosper (such as rats, and pigeons), or we purposefully kept them alive because they are useful to us in some way, shape or form.

Around the time of the last ice age, large land mammals went through an extensive extinction event caused by humans. If cows were not so tasty and didn't produce such good milk, then there probably wouldn't be very many cows around.

The relationship between humans and the animals that live with us is not a relationship of mutual partnership, but of domination and subservience. We have power over their very existence as a species as their masters.

We can respect them the way a master respects his/her servants, but we cannot share human rights with them, because the very point of their lives is that we have something that not human to eat, use as a beast of burden, test, hunt, etc. This is simple justice, the justice of the strong, and human society is the strongest of all, and that is why the world's laws and principles are of the People, by the People and for the People, and only the People (not rabbits).
Vote Placed by Josh_b 3 years ago
Josh_b
Michaelasmith1998AdamKGTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro concedes in round 3. animal testing is beneficial for medical procedures and vaccines.