Texas should secede from the U.S.

Texas is a lively state, and brings in more money for the U.S. than any other state. Rick Perry has been a great governor, and the only reason he didn't become the president is because God wanted Texas to secede with him leading it.

With all the Mexican labor in Texas it doesn't cost a lot of money to get things done, as the real citizens can go take real jobs while the immigrants work for minimum wage cleaning and cooking.

Also, with cities like Houston, Austin and Dallas, celebrities love to go to Texas, like Matthew McConaughey, Drake, Selena Gomez, Klohe Kardashian etc.

And with the republican leadership they'd be keeping all the dirt and filth from entering Texas that the United States seems to want to allow in (I mean homosexuals).

I couldn't resist this topic, being from Canada where not too long ago Quebec tried to succeed unilaterally. I am American, and it still baffles my mind that they tried to succeed. So alright here goes...

The question here is not if Texas would survive on it's own, but rather, can Texas LEGALLY succeed from the Union ...

Texas Succession Would Be Unconstitutional!

In the court case of Texas V White, the supreme court ruled that indeed Texas never succeeded, and in fact succession would have been unconstitutional.

This is not what the Founding Fathers Wanted!

As was noted earlier, the founding fathers wanted to bring about a "more perfect union", and these choice of wordings makes any attempts at leaving in a legal manner null-and-void.

Drake, Selena Gomez, and the Kardashians Have Nothing to do with this Debate

...pretty straight foreward. This is not an argument for texas succession, this is just a footnote of pop culture which is irrelevant,the question this individual raised was can Texas succession occur in a legal manner. This adds nothing to the debate

Finally, my Oppponents Subjective Opinions Have No Bearing of Texas Succession

...homosexuality also has nothing to do with this debate. Your views on gays is for another topic. Not this one, and it bothers me sir that you openly espouce a hatred for a minority to emphasize your own views.

For more information watch the CPG Grey Video.

due to the video's contetnt, and the fact that my opponent has allowed for a 10k character limit, I think I shall stop my arguments here and turn it over to my opponent, less I get accused of circumventing the DDO character limit.

Thank you

--The Hitchslap.

I feel like it doesn't really matter what is and what isn't constitutional anymore. The USA is spying on all of us and torturing people for information, so, leaving the USA might be the best thing for Texas.

The US is stealing from it's citizens with taxes, and by seceding, Texas would eliminate all taxes, and they wouldn't try to steal our guns from us. What will happen when the US (inevitably) takes away guns from it's citizens, and a lunatic gets a hold of one and shoots up a school? If Texas seceded, everyone would have a gun, and lunatics would be too scared to use their violence towards us.

I also feel like celebrities pretty much run this nation now, along with the government, so with the attraction for them in Texas, that will lead to a major problem. Hollywood will be under water in 50-100 years, and by seceding, celebrities will leave California and come to Texas. Once Texas takes in the movie and music industry, they'll be making billions of dollars a year, leading to a balanced budget.

By seceding Texas will be a successful, safe, tax-free nation. A nation that will last many years after America has fallen.

Constitution Still Matters

First of all, this opinion of spying, torture, or taxes is not representitive of what the constitution nor the issue of Texas sucession. All that I noted was that the constitution has nothing in it about it, but that the precedence of the Civil War, and a supreme court ruling trump.

My opponent strays away from the argument, and futrthermore, does not counter that legally, Texas has no basis for sucession. This is a concession by my opponent

Texas Would Be Decimated by the US Army

Even if in theory Texas were to leave through violent means, which is the only way at this point, Texas would be trying to fight the top funded military in the world. That would inevitably end in disaster.

Why Would the US Allow For them to Leave?

Lets consider the repurcissions on the US without Texas:
1) loss of tax revenue .. my opponent conceeds here
2) loss of economic activity
3) inflexability of transport -- If Texas is an independant state it would require anyone going in/out inbetween Mexico and the US a passport...crossing for trucking would be nearly impossible. Border patrol would be chaos.
4) US Dollar; if Texas is independant, like any independant country it needs it's own currency...which wouldnt be worth much! Killing the texas economy. Unless it assumes that the US would allow Texas to use it's currency..though why it would allow this after point 1 is beyond me.

Finally, my Opponents Greivances are More Against Certain Public Policy Than Texas Sucession.

My opponent talks about gun rights, taxation, and homosexuality to justify his position for Texas to leave... LOLwut?
While he may disagree with those public policies, those are vastly different than the situation of Texas sucession. They have nothing to do with the question of Texas being able to leave the union.

My Opponents Claims Are Baseless

For instance he seems to dream of Texas as this utopic society that just works..but this isn't true.
For instance, the state in Texas does not allow for womens tampons in office, and Texas also continues to utilize the death penalty. How this isn't a gross violation of civil rights is beyond me; clearly this is not the utopia my opponent is looking for.

Thank you

--The Hitchslap.

Two words. Patrick Swayze.

My opponent clearly forefits this debate.

Thank you

Please vote for me

No Country for Old Men, Apollo 13, Boys Don't Cry. All filmed in, wait for it, Texas.

Did you know that Texas generates $120 million each year from movies? They make another $95 million from music. Also, 87.5% of statistics are made up. My point is, Texas makes money from the entertainment industry.

Each year Texas generates $141 million from the Patrick Swayze fund, a charity organization Swayze started before his death. Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have both promised to donate a large portion of their net worth to Texas after they pass. Texas makes tons of money, taxes will not be an issue, making the citizen even happier than they are now.

By seceding the suicide rates in Texas are expected to drop a rapid 72% by 2050. They already have the lowest suicide rate in the nation. Also, by seceding, this would allow Roman Polanski to come back to Hollywood, which will be located in Texas, and film movies with A-list actors such as Bradley Pitt, Rob Down J. and Brad Cooper.

Also, the final words JFK ever heard were "Texas loves you."

Okay, I'm convinced at this point my opponent is simply trying to troll me and is no longer willing to take this debate seriously. Which is disappointing, as I was waiting for a formable foe to fight with. I shall repeat: none of this has to do with the legal ability of Texas being able to leave the Union. As such, I shall wait until my opponeent puts forth an argument pertaining to this and only this. Till then do not waste my time.

Thank you

Anything is legal if you're not apart of the nation. Once Texas secedes the U.S. won't be able to do anything about it. KABOOM!

Uhh .. no.

Texas succeeding would be crushed by the military industrial complex of the US, ending their short-lived soverign status, and making it illegal again.

Clearly my opponent forefitted this debate.

Thank you and vote for me.
Posted by rsims23 2 years ago
texas sucks nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro seems to have started trolling in his final rounds as opposed to providing responses to the refutations offered by Con. This was a disappointing debate to read, especially that the burden of proof was mainly on Pro. Pro's conduct in this debate was ridiculous as he ruined the debate with two-word responses and irrelevant remarks.
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I have no idea what pro was doing. One sentence arguments and left everyone one of cons contentions untouched.