Texting does more harm than good
Debate Rounds (3)
People stay up late to text and can"t stop because the person their texting doesn't stop and they don't want to stop because they're afraid that'll be rude.
According to dailymail.co.uk, people feel pressured to answer texts regardless of what time it is, causing them to go to sleep later.
Text messaging has many benefits.
1. It allows you to communicate messages very fast. It allows you to communicate with multiple people at once (separately or together in a group text). Group texts allow multiple people to communicate quickly and easily.
2. Over 98% of texts are read within 15 minutes of receipt, so if you send a text, you know people will read it.
3. Texting doesn't require any downloads or internet connection, so it's easy to access.
4. Texting allows you to communicate when you cannot speak by voice. This is great for privacy and security.
5. Texting can be good for your mental health and thus all around health. Loneliness can lead to high blood pressure and death. University of California Berkeley researchers learned that people who felt depressed, isolated or alone felt more connected and cared for when they received text messages.
6. Texting can be an educational tool. "Texting and 'text speak' can be used to help build foundational reading skills, (link is external)such as word recognition and phonological awareness. It can also be used to generate discussions around formal and informal language (link is external) and writing for different tasks, audiences, and purposes (link is external), all of which are necessary skills for meeting College and Career Readiness Standards in reading (link is external), writing (link is external), language (link is external), and speaking and listening (link is external)."
7. Texting is short and to the point; it is very quick and easy to read, instead of a long message.
8. Texting is very mobile and does not require a computer, but you can still communicate clear messages.
9. Texting helps people learn faster and more fluently. It especially helps with grammar and vocabulary.
10. Texting is a great way for people to stay in contact with their family and friends.
Almost everybody talks or texts on their phone while driving. 25% of those people get into car accidents because of texting while driving.
According to sites.google.com, a study done in 2010 estimates that 200,000 people die in car crashes because they text while driving.
Agent_007 forfeited this round.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by fire_wings 4 months ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||0||4|
Reasons for voting decision: Pro argues that texting with make you no sleep, and that texting can get you killed in car accidents. Con refutes by saying that just because there is a text, you don't need to answer it right away. Con says that there are apps to stop you from texting, so this solves it. Con's arguments are that texting is good for your grammar, getting a way to stay in contact, etc. Pro does not refute any of these points. And, Pro forfeited a round, so conduct to Pro.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate