whoa0whoa
thethickgreyline

Texting is better than Instant Messaging

thethickgreyline
Started: 6/22/2009 Category: Technology

whoa0whoa

Pro

Texting is now IMing on the go. Simple, fast reliable and fun. It's done all around the world such as Philippines and Lebanon. Kids, Teens and Adults all use this form of communication. Im all for this because I love to text. I'd rather Text someone than talk on the comuter, and sit in one place for several hours.

I can talk to more people through texting and continue conversations for hours and anywhere I go. Computers I like to use for watching videos on youtube or downloading new music. So I challenge whoever to tell me how IMing is better than Texting.
thethickgreyline

Con

I assume you are talking about text messaging on mobile phones. You do realise that you can also IM on your mobile phone? It is much cheaper than text messaging and faster . With IM you can talk in close to real time and can have an easy flowing conversation. To do the same with texting would be very expensive and would be very start-stop.

Ever tried to have a conversation with text messages? it takes forever.

If you are trying to compare texting off mobiles solely to IMing on computers I would say that texting takes time from social interactions between people during the day. Its socially easier on a person then a phone call which is generally why so many people do it. Its socially bad for people because its less risky and socially demanding then telephoning someone and stumps emotional growth.

Iming on computers is usually carried out by people at night so they can easily talk and plan with their friends. Rather than taking time away from activities during the day like text messaging does.

IMing is just as widespread as texting. Find me statistics to the contrary.

Mobile texting is a dying communication medium. IM is faster, cheaper, and easier to have a conversation with. Its the way of the future.
whoa0whoa

Pro

Alright I see where you're going with this.

You stated, "Mobile texting is a dying communication medium. IM is faster, cheaper, and easier to have a conversation with. Its the way of the future."
I have a chart to prove how drastic a change from being on the computer to talk than using texting (this was 2006)
http://www.mmaglobal.com...
-"Use of text messaging has risen five percentage points from May to October of this year. Meanwhile, usage of mobile instant messaging has remained flat."

Another statistic of texting is :
http://cellsigns.com...
" As of June 2008, over 75 Billion text messages are sent every month compared to just 18 Billion in December 2006."
Graph from the previous link: http://cellsigns.com...

So, your statement of texting becoming a dying trend is false.

People who have down time at work that dont have access to computers can have important conversations without being disruptive, and with texting, you dont have to worry about someone being on to contact them immediately.

It's no surprise that texting would be used more:
1. People are always out on the go and don't have the time to sit at a computer
- as for IMing on the phone, yes, people do use that but sending a text is quicker because you dont have to sign into an account and wait to see if someone is online. Just send a quick message to the phone itself.
2. How long are people on the computer at night. maybe 3-5 hours. depending on age range. If it's night most people sleep.
3. Also, the technology of phones is skyrocketing and new forms of phones are coming out. So you can check emails, facebook, myspace, etc.
4.Texting has advanced now as well due to full keyboards on phones. PLus the phone with the dial pads have the feature of iTAP/T9 (quicker spelling and formation of words) rather than spelling it out with ABC. Not to mention the fact phones come with already made messages (quick text) like, Hey, what's up, Let's do something tonight., Meet you there, etc.
- Perhaps one day phones will replace computers all together minus the fact that the screen wouldnt be the size of an actual computer just the features may one day be comparable if not identical if current trends in technological advancement.

In using the AIM feature on the phone, you now have to make sure that person you want to get in contact with is even on. Why waste the time in doing so or waiting for them to be on rather than text a quick message and find out in half the time what you need to know. Also, I dont see the need to make plans at night at the last minute on AIM when you have all day to text anyone and make plans. So your point in making plans on AIM at night shouldnt even have to happen.
thethickgreyline

Con

I thank you for your response

I would like to point out that there are usually alot of things to discuss about when you are making plans with your friends and the current costs of phone calls and text messages point to a phone call being the best way to plan at the lowest cost. I gave IMing as another option because it is free and you can plan your night fast and easy using it.

To say texting is faster is a joke. Even with computer like keyboards the response time and difficulty of reading messages you have typed earlier make it a much slower process. Instant messaging is simply set out better. You can easily look at what you wrote 10 minutes ago simply by scorlling up or down and the response time is minimal.

You have made the statement "People who have down time at work that don't have access to computers can have important conversations without being disruptive, and with texting, you don't have to worry about someone being on to contact them immediately."

However my research has found that "A study published in 2008 in the Journal of Computer Mediated Communication by Garrett and Danziger found that workers who used instant messaging on the job reported less interruption than colleagues who did not.[5] Research showed that instant messaging was often used as a substitute for other, more disruptive forms of communication such as the telephone, e-mail, and face-to-face conversations." http://en.wikipedia.org...

As we see text messaging is not the only less disruptive form of communication in the workplace.

As for your comment that you don't have to be signed in to contact someone, this may be true; however, this only takes a second and happens automatically on most computers. Text messages, on the other hand, are limited by how much money you have to spend, whether or not the person you are trying to contacts mobile is on in the first place, and if you and the other person both have a good connection. I'm shore I am not the only person who cannot send a text message because of low connectivity or because I have no credit at the most inappropriate of times.

You quoted "As of June 2008, over 75 Billion text messages are sent every month compared to just 18 Billion in December 2006." Graph from the previous link: http://cellsigns.com......

These statistics are extremely misleading. Remember we are talking about text messages per year not the number of people text messaging. Each person may send thousands of text messages per year or send 20000 Instant messages. Therefore we should look at the amount of people taking part in each form of communication. Millions of people are registered on the many chat sites. Windows live messenger itself had 330 million active users at the start of June 2009. http://en.wikipedia.org...

You have not made any note that we are talking about text messaging and IMing at this point in time so I must assume you are talking about text messaging and IMing independent of time.

Yes your right, technology does increase and as technology increases computers become smaller and more efficient. Are you really under the delusion that people will spend the time and money texting when soon they will be able to buy a cheap easy to carry computer and instant message for free? Who in the world would make the ridiculous choice of texting over instant messaging when there are so many Benefits of using it? We all know that we are heading towards a time when most people will own a small compact yet powerful computer capable of doing the jobs of both the mobile phone and the computer. Do you honestly think that while I talk in real time with anyone i want whenever I want across a worldwide instant messaging network, that you will still be texting?

This is why I have made the statement that texting is a dying communication medium. It may not be at this exact moment, but it is only a matter of time.

So let's look at the overall benefits of IMing
1.It is less disruptive then other forms of communication in the workplace
2.It is cheaper than texting
3.As technology increases it will be easier and more efficient than texting
4.You can have free flowing conversations in close to real time rather than the start and stop ones you can have through text messaging.
5.You can send documents to other IM users without having to stop IMing
6. Its easy to plan for occasions with friends using IMing than text messaging
7. You must have someones number to text them. Whereas Instant messaging caters to not only those who want to talk to their friends but also those who want to make friends and form relationships.

It is obvious that increased technology all over the world will only increase the incidence of instant messaging as it is superior in the several ways that I have stated. The future of text based communications belongs to instant messaging.

I thank my opponent for an interesting debate.
Posted by Octavian 5 years ago
Octavian
Yes texting is cumbersome and inefficient compared to IMing.
Posted by whoa0whoa 5 years ago
whoa0whoa
There was a typo on my part. I said using the computer vs. texting and then posted a chart but i meant to say IMing on the phone not on the computer.
Vote Placed by PromptumVerum 5 years ago
PromptumVerum
whoa0whoathethickgreylineTied
Vote Placed by FlashFire 5 years ago
FlashFire
whoa0whoathethickgreylineTied
Vote Placed by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
whoa0whoathethickgreylineTied