bigbass3000
FunkeeMonk91

"That Arnold Schwarzenegger should be able to become president"

bigbass3000

Pro

I feel that even though Arnold Schwarzenegger is a immigrant, I feel it would be a very compassionate stance to say to immigrants can become president. To be able to prove that the American Dream is true for immigrants, not just their children.
FunkeeMonk91

Con

As much as I support immigrant rights, I don't think that immigrants should be allowed to become presidents. Only because if an immigrant became president, he/she might have conflicting interests with America and their home country. I'm not saying all immigrants are out to infiltrate the US government, but to ensure that American interests are being preserved, citizens whom have been born and raised in the States would be less bias.

Of course, there is always the opportunity to become a representative, governor, or even senator. In these offices, immigrants can still be represented without taking executive control.

Again, it's not that immigrants aren't able or would only pass laws benefiting their demographic, but we need a citizen that has been born and raised here in order to ensure that American interests are put first.
bigbass3000

Pro

To slam down this arguement, If this is true, that immigrants can get into every office, then they could control the senate, and even though the president only enforces laws, he can only veto it some many times, before it gets passed. Arnold Schwarzenegger does not go counter to our interests, any ways, otherwise, he would not be I.E. a Governor. Immigrants work to the best of the country, there can always be a law to guarantee naturalized citizens to be here. Besides some immigrants know, more about our interests, then we do. It is not bad and there can be restrictions, besides, the people vote for the President, and don't they know the interests for our nation, and if does go counter we can impeach him.
FunkeeMonk91

Con

Well first of all let me ask this: is this debate about Arnold or immigrants in general? So, voters and bigbass3000, in this round, keep in mind that I will be trying to address both, since it has become unclear which we are debating.

In this country, it is nearly impossible for one group to control the Senate. Yes, one could argue that white men control the Senate, but they aren't doing anything to prevent immigrants to joining Congress.

Now, you say Arnold does, in fact, defend American interests. But, whether that is true or not, is irrelevant. Because one person does, doesn't mean all people will. If we make an exception for Arnold, then other people will want exceptions for their leader. Either everyone is ok, or no one is (I realize that part of your contention is that everyone is ok, but I will refute that claim later).

"...there can always be a law to guarantee naturalized citizens to be here." What exactly do you mean by this? I'm not sure if this is what you were getting at, but I think that there is even an amendment to the Constitution that says anyone who is born here is automatically a citizen. Please clarify.

"It is not bad and there can be restrictions..." Those restrictions you talk about are what I'm debating for. I realize that not every immigrant is out to ruin America, but as a safety precaution, we should not allow foreign immigrants to hold the presidential office, because it only takes one guy/girl to ruin a country.

Besides, almost every other public office is available, except for President (and maybe Vice President; not sure). There are plenty of other options, so it's not like immigrants are left out of the loop.

Also, how many immigrant leaders have complain about this law? There isn't exactly a high interest in a immigrant president, at least to those in office. Maybe if there were more candidates for an immigrant president, but it would have to take a lot.
bigbass3000

Pro

My opponent dropped my Impeachment arguement, thus silence is golden, so he agrees with it and all of his arguements drop, because it agrees to the impeachment arguement, that if a immigrant President, were to become corrupt, we could get rid of him out of the White House.
FunkeeMonk91

Con

I didn't drop your impeachment argument, because it wasn't an argument. The fact that people can be replaced through the process of impeachment doesn't justify having immigrants hold executive office.

Besides, you just ignored everything I mentioned in round 2. How can you accuse me of being silent when you didn't address ANYTHING?
Posted by FunkeeMonk91 9 years ago
FunkeeMonk91
FiredUpRepublican,

Not all of us are descendants of illegal immigration, as my parents came to this country legally. Plus, it is senseless to hold other people accountable for what their fore fathers did hundreds of years ago. That is what's great about this country: you are not held back by what your family did in the past.
Posted by FiredUpRepublican 9 years ago
FiredUpRepublican
Immigrants shouldn't be President?

Then how do we elect our leaders? We are all descendants of illegal immigration by our very definition.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
My best friend moved here from Ireland when she was 5 , she still has a love for Ireland and always will. She loves America but will also always have a loyalty to Ireland. Not too mention if we open it for a few , we have to open it for all.
Posted by zarul 9 years ago
zarul
And what about people that moved to the US when they were a month or a year old?
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
My husband is an immigrant and I agree with Con as does my husband. A person from another country may love America but most often will also love their home country as well. Lucky for my husband his country is an ally of the US , probably our biggest ally since he is from the UK. However he loves America , is in the American army, but say he was President and the job called for attacking Scotland , then he would be torn. he would never betray America , but he would have a hard time hurting his home country too. So while I believe an immigrant can love this country , I don't believe they should be able to hold office.
Posted by Conservative 9 years ago
Conservative
Hello,

I wish I was able to participate in this one, but you can't have more than one person on a side. Good luck, it should be a good one!
Vote Placed by Creator 8 years ago
Creator
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by aodanu16 8 years ago
aodanu16
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by twinkiesunite 8 years ago
twinkiesunite
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by rnsweetswimn1 8 years ago
rnsweetswimn1
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by rnsweetheart 9 years ago
rnsweetheart
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by flyingtuna420 9 years ago
flyingtuna420
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by rockeywood 9 years ago
rockeywood
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by griffinisright 9 years ago
griffinisright
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by Idontcare 9 years ago
Idontcare
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
bigbass3000FunkeeMonk91Tied