Australiangreatdebate
Bull_Diesel

That Australia is more east than west

Bull_Diesel

Australiangreatdebate

Con

Hey guys I completely need help on this one, sources as well please. Debate is tomorrow.
Bull_Diesel

Pro

I'm going to help you with this, in return I feel like it's fair to vote me enough points to count this as a win since you apparently didn't want this to be an actual debate anyway.

You should consider talking to Logic_on_rails about this, I think he'd be a good resource.

WEST:
While geographically close to Asia, Australia is a Western nation, proven by the fact that our political and legal institutions and much of our language and literature are derived from Britain and Europe. Concepts like habeas corpus, separation of powers and innocent until proven guilty are unique to Western civilisation.

http://www.abc.net.au...

read all of these too if you can :P

http://www.abs.gov.au...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

I would also consider making a point about Australia Going to war WITH (not against) the Western nations.
Australia is involved in the war in the middle-east, but it's not fighting it's own war, it is fighting alongside other Christian Democratic (used loosely) Nations (Britain, US)

http://www.aph.gov.au...

I just pulled out my "The Economist" Pocket World in Figures and i'm not sure if this helps you but it should. I'm going to list the figures in my almamanac of GDP stats here and you can create your own argument, the point is, after china, AUstralia exports the majority of its goods to Asian countries, but Australia imports more from america than from the rest of the major Asian nations excepting China. (More Australian goods going out to Asian countries than Asian goods from those countries coming In to Australia, considering American Goods imported at higher rates than those asian nations.)

Here you go:

Trade
Principal Exports
$bn fob
Coal 39.4
Meat and Meat Products 9.4
Wheat 3.8
Total incl. others 212.9
from the comments.

Principal imports

Intermediate and Other goods 99.9
Capital Goods53.2
consumption goods40.4
total193.5

Main Export destinations as % of total
China25
Japan18.8
South Korea 8.9
India7.1
U.S.A.4.0

Main Origins of Imports as % of total
China20.6
U.S.A.12.2
Japan9.5
Thailand5.7
Singapore5.6

Australia still has western language, western culture, western money, western dress and western religion. Australia is allied with and supports the same causes as other western nation. Australia participates in "Western" wars.

http://www.ehow.com...

if that's what you're trying to argue all you need to do is find studies that say the REASON Asians end up in Australia/ New Zealand is because of the western culture. (it's true) The reason the Asian populations and therefore cultural influences are so high are (obviously) geographic proximity, AND the fact that Asians who can afford it send their kids to school in Australia/New Zealand SPECIFICALLY to give them a western education. The same applies to schools in the US. I went to Auburn for college, Auburn has strangely dis-proportionate number of "true-Asians" that attend for undergrad and graduate school because it's listed near the top of the list of major accredited schools that are very well respected for Discipline X. The parents tell them they have to have a western education, they start applying at the top of the list and they end up going to the first decent place that accepts them. Same principle applies to Australia New Zealand because of proximity. The point is.... all of this happens SPECIFICALLY because Asian parents want their kids to have WESTERN educations and lives, whether they return to Asia or not.

If you're arguing that Australia is more of a Western culture than Eastern Culture, all you need to do is explain that it started out as a Western Culture, remains a western culture, as evidenced by the strong desire of asian populations to migrate there.

Also, at the end of the day, You don't have Mao TseTung on your money, you've got the Queen.

Hope this helps, message me if you need something else specifically, i'll try to help if I can.
Australiangreatdebate

Con

Australiangreatdebate forfeited this round.
Bull_Diesel

Pro

Congratulations to my opponent on winning his external debate.

I extend all "arguments". My opponent was able to win his debate based on the information provided in this debate by me and by other commentors, as per the terms I suggested, I will "extend" my "arguments" each round.
I feel that it is reasonable I be given points for this debate.

Thanks for the opportunity to do some cool research.
Australiangreatdebate

Con

Bull_Diesel

Pro

Extended.

Please Vote PRO

Thanks,

Bull_Diesel
Posted by Bull_Diesel 3 years ago
Bull_Diesel
awesome, congratulations. :)

Now concede the rest of the rounds :)
Posted by Australiangreatdebate 3 years ago
Australiangreatdebate
Thanks everyone, my team won the debate due to your awesome work.
Posted by Bull_Diesel 3 years ago
Bull_Diesel
it's west if that's what you're trying to argue all you need to do is find studies that say the REASON Asians end up in Australia/ New Zealand is because of the western culture. (it's true) The reason the Asian populations and therefore cultural influences are so high are (obviously) geographic proximity, AND the fact that Asians who can afford it send their kids to school in Australia/New Zealand SPECIFICALLY to give them a western education. The same applies to schools in the US. I went to Auburn for college, Auburn has strangely dis-proportionate number of "true-Asians" that attend for undergrad and graduate school because it's listed near the top of the list of major accredited schools that are very well respected for Discipline X. The parents tell them they have to have a western education, they start applying at the top of the list and they end up going to the first decent place that accepts them. Same principle applies to Australia New Zealand because of proximity. The point is.... all of this happens SPECIFICALLY because Asian parents want their kids to have WESTERN educations and lives, whether they return to Asia or not.

You're welcome :P
Posted by rross 3 years ago
rross
Aaah! You're arguing the other side! Sorry, sorry. Seriously didn't mean to do that. Ignore all my posts.
Posted by rross 3 years ago
rross
love the map
http://www.dfat.gov.au...
Posted by rross 3 years ago
rross
Visitors to Australia
http://www.ret.gov.au...

"Visitors from Asia had the highest expenditure ($9.3 billion, up 3.4%) " including
$2.7 billion by Chinese visitors, $981 million by Korean visitors and $822 million by
Japanese visitors. Visitors from Europe
spent $4.2 billion (up 4.2%) " including
$1.6 billion by United Kingdom visito
rs and $555 million by German visitors."
Posted by Skynet 3 years ago
Skynet
I would go to the forums menu at the top. This debate part of it is for starting debates, not asking for help. You might get more help there.
Posted by larztheloser 3 years ago
larztheloser
More east than west RELATIVE TO WHAT? From here in New Zealand - hang on *looks out of telescope* - yip, Australia is still to the north-west over there relative to us. Sources: any atlas plus a ruler.

If you mean more broadly the "western world" vs the "eastern world", that might be more interesting, but that needs to be clarified in the resolution.
Vote Placed by Lordknukle 3 years ago
Lordknukle
AustraliangreatdebateBull_DieselTied
Reasons for voting decision: kewl