That Computers Dominate our Lives

Started: 11/22/2012 Category: Technology

Are Computers Dominating us or are people letting themselves be dominated. The problem lies within the individual not the computer.

I accept. I am interested to hear your evidence. Computers do not dominate our lives. Clothes don't dominate our lives, even though we wear them every day. Food, maybe, dominates a bit, since we are compelled to eat regularly to sustain life. Computers? No.

It is true that clothes and simple necessities are not dominating, however, computers are not dominating because they're tools and us humans use this for research and shopping etc. How can a tool dominate? Although people are addicted, it is there fault for not acting and not trying a new hobby. These people who are addicted are the people who let this computer 'take over' their daily life and therefore assume its the computers fault.

Nico1234, I misread this debate. I thought I was con and you were pro. My mistake. Had a rather tough day in the real world. Please ignore my previous post.

My arguments start now.

Unfortunately, computers really can dominate our lives. Computer addiction is a serious health issue. Like with any serious addiction, it's tempting to blame the victim. To some extent, you can. "How can a tool dominate?" you ask. Indeed. How can a chemical substance, such as tobacco or heroin dominate? Yet they do.

When it comes to real people and real problems, these abstract arguments are unhelpful. "Guns don't kill, people do," is the cry. Perhaps. At the same time, if there are no guns, nobody gets shot. You can't blame the small dish of white powder, you would say. It's the addict's choice. Yes. But, at the same time, to help an addict recover, the best place is somewhere where they have no access to drugs.

Computers don't dominate everyone's life. But they do dominate some unfortunates. One of my friend's boyfriends took two years off work to play World of Warcraft. It was not his intention on quitting his job, of course. He was going to write his novel. Instead, the computer sucked him in. Two whole years. What a waste. It was only the birth of his first child and my friend's insistance that he go back to work that saved him.

Another friend had a fiance who became a computer addict. He still worked, but he did nothing else and she ended up leaving him for another man. He was heart-broken, apparently, yet he couldn't give up the computer.

Here's what Dr Maressa Hecht Orzack of Harvard Medical School has to say about computer addiction.

Computer Addiction, Internet Addictive Disorder or a problem very similar to Pathological Gambling or Compulsive Shopping. Like other addictions, it affects other people -- family, friends, and co-workers. Spouses complain that their loved ones neglect them. Couples separate when one of the partners finds someone else on the Internet and leaves home. Like gamblers they compulsively keep investing time and money. They fantasize that the next connection they make will solve all their problems.

NIco1234 forfeited this round.

Ah Nico, I hope that you have forfeited because my post helped you break free from computer domination. I imagine you skiing somewhere, cross country, without the aid of even a global positioning system. I hope you're having a glorious adventure.
Vote Placed by MouthWash 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I hope so, too.