comerfge
cathaystewie

That Modern Day Life is Boring

cathaystewie

comerfge

Pro

I believe that modern day life is boring. The amount of time that people these days spend on phones, tablets, computers and watching TV is unbenificial for our personal health and lifestyle. The use of digital technologies is reshaping human brains and the impact on young people must be considered by their parents and educators, a neuroscientist warns. This neuroscientist is Professor Susan Greenfield of Oxford University. "If you're a very young person and you haven't developed, let's say, a robust sense of identity, you haven't got interpersonal skills, then clearly we're going to see changes that we might not see in someone who's older," she said. The neuroscientist warned children who once used their imaginations were now more likely to sit in front of a screen, with a menu of choices someone else had designed. "The issue is that information isn't knowledge. Of course you can be bombarded with endless information, endless facts, but if you can't make sense of them one fact is the same as any other fact," she said. "You can cruise on YouTube or on Google going 'yuck' and 'wow', but you're not actually making sense of things." She said an inspirational teacher or parent could be the key to young people developing the skills "to join up the dots" of the world around them.
cathaystewie

Con

Hello and thank you to PRO for instigating this debate. I assume the BOP is shared. Please be reminded that no arguments be posted in the final round.

Please note that due to my recent commitments, and the inconvenient timing of DDO's maintenance which happened 5 hours ago (coincidentally also the time I had assigned to catch up with my debates), I will not post arguments in this round and will do them in the next round. In the meantime, i will provide some definitions. Apologies for any inconvenience as a result of this.

DEFINITIONS

Boring: Not interesting, tedious [1]
Modern Day Life: Based on PRO's content, i will assume that this term will denote daily life with the presence of recent technological advances, such as handheld electronic devices, the Internet, etc.

SOURCES USED

[1] http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...

comerfge

Pro

comerfge forfeited this round.
cathaystewie

Con

Seeing that my opponent has forfeited, my rebuttals will only be targeted at his/her arguments made in the first round. All arguments made and content discussed will be and shall be done on the basis of my definitions as PRO failed to provide any definitions of his/her own.

REBUTTALS

PRO's entire argument seems to be centered around how excessive exposure to electronic products and social media are detrimental to society. In a nutshell, he/she argues that such uncurbed usage of phones, tablets, television and computers is robbing humanity of its imaginative abilities, and hinders our ability to think independently and critically. I, as CON, wholeheartedly acknowledge this, but fail to see how this is necessarily a characteristic of a boring lifestyle.

The fact of the matter is, given the amount of time that people willingly spend on their electronic gadgets, regardless of what emotion or feeling that they derive from doing so, it is only logical to say that these people are glued to their phones and computers because there is an element to its usage that makes the user experience so addictive or even rewarding. Adding in the fact that both sides of the house today agree upon said electronic gadgets as a unique attribute of 'modern life', we come to the rational conclusion that 'modern day life' is, as ironically as it seems, not boring based off of PRO's own arguments.

SUBSTANTIVES

In accordance to the motion, it is within PRO's burden of proof to justify to us that every single person that is subject to the criteria of 'modern day life' (in other words, subject to electronic devices and media), all agree that the life that they are living is boring. This is such because the word 'modern day life' presumably encompasses all individuals that fall under this category, and PRO has made no effort to change the scope of this term.

I, for one, can testify that this motion is false. The household which I live in has a TV, radio, and tablet, and I myself own a laptop and phone. I am a frequent and active user of Facebook, Whatsapp, and YouTube, and I would not describe my life as 'boring', let alone argue that it is boring because of my electronic gadgets and social media subscriptions. The motion does not stand so long as one person that lives this so-called 'modern day life' denies that their lifestyle is mundane, and I invite PRO to contend otherwise.

Let us go along with PRO's standard of 'boring', that is the usage of electronic devices and social media technology. The very nature of social media and electronic gadgets are to expose us to a wider variety and range of information, expose us to new ways in obtaining such information. Phones and social media, for instance, allow our relationships with our loved ones to transcend physical distance, and the high patronage of social media and ubiquity of phone calls is sufficient evidence to prove that staying connected with others is not by any means boring. Television, radio, the internet in general, and social media to some extent are ideal platforms for users to access new and unexpected information, whether it is the news, research notes, or cat videos that would have otherwise been highly inaccessible or even nonexistent (in the case of video) if not for the inauguration of the very things that PRO is so fervently against. The discovery of new information, ideologies and perspectives is what gives each and every one of our lives a unique personality, and the absence of such is what leads to a mundane and boring life. Dorothy Parker phrases this best when she says:

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." [1]

To put it differently, what PRO contests to be a source of boredom is really what makes 'modern day life' anything but boring.

I eagerly await PRO's response. Thank you.

SOURCES USED

[1] http://www.ineedmotivation.com...;
comerfge

Pro

comerfge forfeited this round.
cathaystewie

Con

It is disappointing that PRO has forfeited again. I extend my previous content, and urge you to vote CON.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
comerfgecathaystewieTied
Vote Placed by Kozu 1 year ago
Kozu
comerfgecathaystewieTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro FF. Cons arguments are untouched.