Flyer
ccstate4peat

That Philosophy should be taught in schools

Flyer

Pro

I believe that it should be, people need to think about things so they can make more sense of the world, to better use there time of life
ccstate4peat

Con

School: 1: an organization that provides instruction: as a: an institution for the teaching of children b: college, university c : a group of scholars and teachers pursuing knowledge together that with similar groups constituted a medieval university. http://www.merriam-webster.com.... Seeing as one definition of school is a college or university, and most colleges teach philosophy, I would say that it already is being taught.

Philosophy is not easy to understand. If you expect the majority of people, who are most likely not going into a job that requires that type of thinking to understand some of the most confusing subjects that is taught, you are misguided.

Philosophy is taught at my school. I go to a private school, so that could have an effect on it, but those courses for juniors and seniors and I am a sophomore. I don't know what this has to do with this debate but I thought I would state it anyways.

Why did you make this character limit?
Flyer

Pro

Most people won't understand a lot of things taught at school, however they are still taught because even if you gain some concept on the ideas taught then it is better then not being taught at all!
ccstate4peat

Con

Why make people pay for something that won't be useful for the majority of the people it's being payed for? Concepts won't help people later in life if they don't have an outlet for them. It would be a total waste of taxpayer money to add an extra subject that is completely unnecessary.
Flyer

Pro

Flyer forfeited this round.
ccstate4peat

Con

I don't know if you forfeited because you didn't check this site, or because you know you lost, but either way, I hope you spent those three days thinking about that colossal waste of money called an extra class.

If you really want to learn about philosophy, go check it out in your local library. It's free and the library would be able to provide more for your's or anyone else's learning than a school would. There is no source for learning that has more valuable information than a library. The internet has some legitimate sources, but there are hardly any good sources. The ancient philosophers could not post any of there works on the internet and you would be able to find them in a library for free. Modern Philosophers would most likely publish a book on the topic, not blog it.

I knew five rounds was to much for this debate, but I didn't think that you would give up after two. I was planning on rebutting everything you say, but there aren't enough characters remaining for that.
Flyer

Pro

Flyer forfeited this round.
ccstate4peat

Con

Five rounds was way too much for this debate, if you're not going to debate in any of them, why make the debate? What I mean by, "not going to debate", I mean make an argument that is more than one and a half lines long. To be fair, you're second "argument" was slightly over a line and a half, but is still shorter than where I am at now in this argument.

This would've been a fun three round debate if you debated and/or did not use a 1000 character limit.
Flyer

Pro

Sorry for my absence, I had internet problems. Perhaps, you could have used the extra words rather then complain.
There are many things that schools teach that the majority of people won't find useful, for example quadratic equations and counting syllables of a poem; which won't help a lot of people, by cutting English and Maths to the essential you could save a subject therefore save taxpayers money; most people won't use a second language or art either, in fact why make people get an education at all? Because some people may find an outlet for these things, its better then not being taught anything, people need a basis of something in their brains. Thinking about things seems just as useful as any other subject taught, with just as much a right to be taught in schools.
And as your definition says school includes university as well;which would direct this teaching at people who choose to take this subject and obviously will find an outlet or find this subject necessary!
ccstate4peat

Con

English and Math teaches people useful skills that they will use later in life. No matter what you do later in life, the skills you learn in English class help you. There will always be some writing in whatever you do. Talking with bad grammar gives people a bad impression, using the grammar skills you learned in English class will help you get a job, make new friends, and many things.

Math is always needed in everyday life. If we did not teach math, think about how hard life would be without simple skills such as counting, adding, and subtracting. You cannot do anything with money without knowing any math at all. Percentages are used very commonly for tips, and decimals in anything dealing with change. How often do you see statistics? I would say that pretty much everything you do invloves statistics in one way or another.

I tried to write about a second language but I ran out of characters, again. Arts spur creativity, and knowing another language helps with business. Thanks.
Posted by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Properly formulated, it would be a good debate topic. Maybe something like, "A philosophy course should be made available to most high school students."

Pro made no case, so Con wins.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
I also share panda's and alto's thoughts to some extent. Without definitions, you are pretty screwed.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
I want to take this debate.
But I'll wait a day or two.
Posted by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
If you made this three rounds, I would take it.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
Meh, can't argue with that. Someone smart could use semantics regarding the distinction of public and private schooling.
Posted by alto2osu 8 years ago
alto2osu
But, it is taught in schools...are we debating the merit of the status quo, or do you believe it isn't currently in public school curriculum? Are you advocating a specific grade level, or is this even in a public school?
Posted by Octavian 8 years ago
Octavian
I agree, I'm not going to debate against something I so fervently agree with.
Posted by thethickgreyline 8 years ago
thethickgreyline
I would love to debate this, however i hate long winded debates. If it was 2 or 3 rounds i would accept.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
Flyerccstate4peatTied
Reasons for voting decision: For forfeit.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 8 years ago
RoyLatham
Flyerccstate4peatTied