That Space Exploration should not receive public funding

Full topic -
That any form of Space Exploration should not receive funding from any Government or public pool of money. The Pro side should argue against giving Space exploration money, and the Con side should argue for giving space exploration money, as their respective names dictate.

Rules of debate -
You have 72 hours to argue after every round, and after the three rounds are up, voting will commence for a month. I wish my opponent good luck, and the debate starts properly in the first round. A round of acceptance will mean that the opposition forfeits the debate. The first and second rounds will be for arguing and rebutting, and the third round will be purely for rebutting any last arguments and concluding your teams case. There is no limit to the topic: it is on morality, cost, need, and any other point of attack you can use to display your point.

Note -
This is my first debate on the internet, so if i have done something odd, please tell. I will now start my debate

Introduction to the topic
Wednesday, July 20, 1969. Apollo 11 touches down on the moon, and the entire world watches in utter fascination, a spectacle beyond imagining unfolding before their eyes. Shudders are felt down millions of spines as they hear the words – the first words ever to be spoken on the surface of our moon – "that's one small step for man, and one giant leap for man kind".
The moon landing was four decades ago. We have extended our grasp of the solar system and humans are rapidly coming to terms with the pure magnificence of our universe. But there is still a lot to learn. The universe expands into realms beyond imagining, and we cannot possibly hope to ever realise what our universe has to offer without funding space exploration. There is so much to find out, and funding is paramount to satiate humans' innate curiosity.

Space exploration - the searching and investigation of the exosphere of our Earth until the furthest reaches of the expanding universe, what some scientists call dark matter.
Cost - the money spent on the aforementioned exploration, and as we shall argue, the cost is an extremely worthwhile cause.

My case
I will show you that Space Exploration is worth any money. I will be talking about how our Earth has been sapped dry by us humans, and that we can only hope to abandon ship through space travel. I shall then speak about how humans have the need to know more, and that there are so many wonders the universe has to offer beyond our own tiny little existence.

Body 1
Let us begin. The Earth's resources are dwindling. A sudden change in human ways during the Industrial Revolution period saw the beginning of the age of consumerism, and our race hasn't given anything back. Now in the 21st century, the human race is realizing that our old ways cannot continue. We are looking towards renewable energy sources and saving water and other finite resources. But the damage has been done. Within this century, Global Warming will have hit us, and all kinds of extreme weather events will be with us. Humans can and will fight for survival. But we will need to escape from our Earth. Even if not a direct cause of global warming, even if we survive the next millennia, threats will become apparent, and space exploration needs to continue, to find us a new potential home. There are more other planets than grains of sand on this earth. One of them will be suitable for us, and if we can get there, the human race can survive any apocalypse that an action author can think up. Even now, ideas not just from science fiction novelists, but from acclaimed scientists and astronauts such as former Apollo 7 astronaut Walter Cunningham, suggest colonization of the moon. We can only survive through the need for exploration and innate curiosity that man has used to survive so far.

Body 2
Human curiosity is my next point. Man has been fascinated with the night sky since the dawn of our species. Looking up at night and seeing stars shining their beauty down at us. Imagine if man could see these stars, these beautiful speckles of light from a greater perspective. Space fills us with wonders, and the universe has so much more to offer than our pathetically small Earth. Space exploration can show us wondrous things, things like wormholes, space storms, asteroid fields, supernovas and new stars. There is so much to discover outside of Earth. Our curiosity has before changed the fate of our race and allowed our race to thrive into bustling communities: the curiosity that sent Christopher Columbus to the Americas, or James Cook to Terra Australas can and will be applied the same way when humans venture to the Stars. Why fund a program to destroy the crust of the earth, searching for more crude oils to destroy the earth with when we could send new drones into the atmosphere and beyond, broadcasting new, amazing spectacles that humans can use to further understand our origins and the universe's origins. Knowledge is an inevitable human need, and it is absolutely invaluable, especially in a future where it could mean life or death.

Always, humans have needed to see what is around them. We are fascinated with things we have watched for millennia, like the night sky. Our fascination will only deepen as we explore the reaches of the universe. We can use the knowledge our exploration will give to further our existence, our safety and our understanding of our roots. When it comes down to the fine edges, we need to realize that money is insubstantial compared to the vastness of our universe and the curiosity that has been born unto us. If we draw back space exploration, we draw back the entire human race.

I look forward to the acceptance of this debate, and eagerly await my opponents reply.

I would like to thank my opponent for a chance to debate. I would also like to wish him luck. Now on with the debate!

While it is true certain resources are dwindiling, looking to space for these resources is not a good idea. The better option would be to explore the 95% of ocean on earth that is a mystery in its self. Explorng the oceans and looking for the the resources we need there would save us way more money then that of going to another planet. Also, the issue of global warming is also a highly debated topic. In order for it to be recognised my opponent must prove that it exists in the first place.

R2: Human curiosity is not a good reason to spend millions if not billions of dollars on something. 95% of the Earth's oceans are unexplored. The mysteries down in its depths are unimaginable. It would cost less so then sending people to the faqr reaches of our galaxy.

My Argument

My case

I will be negating that space exploration should receive public funding. My next set of contentions will prove that space exploration just isn't worth it.
C1: The scientific benefits of manned space programmes are severely overstated.
Organizations such as NASA spend most of their budgets on telescopes and ground-based research. Also, big time space exploration spenders Russia and China have not reported any major scienfic discoveries in rescent yours.
C2: Space is excessive.
Here on earth most of the surface is ocean, and 95% of that ocean is uncharted. Why should we explore space when we haven't even explored the whole of our planet? We say we are running out of resources and yet we have only gotten the resources of not even half the planet. We should search and explore the rest of the planet before we look beyond.
C3: It would be bad for international relations.
Sending people into space or to other planets they can erect the flag of a particular nation is a distinctly nationalistic act and one that is likely to create aggressive 'races' in the future just as it has before in the past. China’s manned programme is openly intended to challenge the US dominance of space for the Communist regime’s huge propaganda benefit. George W. Bush’s pledge to boost spending on NASA and to restart the manned mission to Mars programme was a direct response. This is bad not only because of the potential for space race conflicts to escalate into larger international hostility, but also because of the way such races could result in the militarization of space, thereby turning something which should be preserved for the common good of humankind into a neo-colonial battlefield that could result in doom for everyone on and off our planet.
Do to the lack of progress in the space program, and the fact that that not even half of our planet is charted. Not to mention the large chance of world and offworld war. I say that we as people of planet Earth should not publically fund the exploration of speech just yet.
Vote Con!

Introduction (2)

Somewhere, between 13 and 20 billion years ago, the Big Bang probably occurred. The start of the universe as we know it, such an extremely important – if not the most important event, ever, and all we know of it is that it may have occurred, and if it did, it was within a seven billion year time frame. Who knows, maybe we can easily find out if, why and when it truly happened. But the only way we can do this is to fund Space exploration.
We have begun to discuss the uses – and misuses – of space exploration. I will firstly rebut some of the more deceptive points brought forward by my opponent, and will then go on and speak about the risks of not exploring space, and of how money spent is so tiny compared to the expanse of space and the scientific knowledge that we can potentially seize.

Explore Oceans, not space

One thing mentioned majorly by my opponent is that exploring space is a waste as we do not fully understand our own planet. Sounds fair, but the main flaw in this argument is that if we concentrate fully on our own planet, we will be looking for internal dangers rather than the more common, external dangers that have been mentioned. We must remember that this debate is on funding space exploration, and not cutting funding for anything else. We can continue exploring the much smaller Earth, but when we realize how vital space will be in our future, exploring it is the least we can do to prepare.

International Relations

My opponent also talked about the fact that space dominant countries would create aggressive races. This may happen, but our world is growingly multicultural – I know for certain that racism still is at large, but countries have the ability to work together, especially when there is so much to find out, for a common cause. If a country does not want to fund a group program, or maybe the beginning of a new NASA-like corporation, but of the world, and not of just a single country, then they get no credit, they get none of the votes that come with it. A group pool of money to a worldly organisation will not only keep international relations in place, but will strengthen them, and get it more of the funding which space exploration truly deserves.

Overstated benefits

If Russia hasn’t found anything particularly amazing in the 40 years of space travel, then we must remember that there are billions of planets, millions of nebulas and one infinitely large universe which definitely has plenty to teach us, if only we persevere with exploring space.

Point 3

Onto my first argument of round two. Space is a vast expanse full of wonders and horrors beyond imagining. Asteroid impacts, supernovas, vortexes, debris, extreme temperatures and radiation are all problems vital enough to be needed to be solved. An asteroid can now be detected by a space station with relative ease, and technology has begun to increase the chance of destroying any asteroids or pieces of space debris, but space has more to throw at us then we can imagine. If anything like what wiped out the dinosaurs came near us, we would be put in extreme danger. Space exploration is absolutely imperative to our survival from threats that are literally out of this world. Spending money, an objective thing, to increase our chances of survival in the long term is not a choice at all. We’ve just got to realize the importance of space exploration, and comprehend that although our own world has a lot of things that can kill us singularly, nothing can compare to whatever space may throw at us.

Point 4

Money is one thing of human creation which we are extremely careful with. Because we have a side to our race that likes to keep and hoard money, we fail to spend it on crucial things that threaten our entire species. Only now has the importance of, for instance Global Warming dawned on us. If you don’t believe in Global Warming for any reason, there are plenty more examples of human complacency due to money and power, such as the Cuban Missile Crisis, both world wars, and swine flu, which was not instantly given the money it needed to be cured and distributed, and therefore, people died. Imagine if a much more threatening event came to be, and we were this late in spending and working to stop our own demise. Governments and leaders are slow to act, so foresight should be implemented, and acting on space exploration should begin. Space exploration gives us knowledge – of our roots, of other elements, of other life forms and most importantly, of threats and how to counter act them. All this knowledge and safety is absolutely invaluable, and money is so irrelevant compared to human survival and knowledge.

Space is infinitely large. It has so many wonders and events and places to go and things to see that letting it fly by, and not stopping to explore it would be an absolute disappointment. If it’s only money that is stopping us, then we should let go of that money, because money can’t buy happiness. Space exploration is not only paramount for our survival and our extending knowledge of ourselves and our world and our entire universe, but it is pathetic to opt out of living because you think money could be spent on better things. If we draw back space exploration, we draw back the capabilities and promises of human life and the entire human race.

I concede to my opponent. Vote Con.

I thank my opponent for this debate, and am flattered at his decision to concede.
Posted by Juv 5 years ago
for age i did 14-21, not sure about rank.
Posted by Juv 5 years ago
I'm new to the site, is there something I should know about that sort of thing, or should I be okay to wing it? In response to your question, I have no idea.
Posted by randolph7 5 years ago
Curious what age/rank criteria did you use?
Vote Placed by kohai 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Brenavia 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Good debate, finish it all the way through next time.