Masterfrogger
NiamC

That cutting is stupid

NiamC

Masterfrogger

Pro

I believe cutting is stupid futile and retarded
NiamC

Con

I accept

I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Masterfrogger

Pro

Ok I say that cutting is useless in this regard it does not help in any sense that makes it useful.It may trick people in beleiving it helps like the placebo effect give a sick person a placebo(sugar pill) and tell them its a pain pill of some sort and they feel better.but when told that it was a placebo they would feel bad again but with cutters they don't they still say it helps.but in reality it hasn't they have deluded to themselves into thinking it helps.only reason is becuase it is widespread and that alot of people do it saying it helps.and from another point it is got to be for more then help it must be for attention.as I say it does not help in any way other then to delude yourself and they must realize its not helping.unless you consider it's for attention but cutters almost never admit that it's for attention.
NiamC

Con

Ok, I would like to say that I look forward to this debate. Just to clear it, I’m assuming that this debate is just focusing on Cutting- self harm. If not, please correct me?

Please note that in some parts of my argument, I will be playing devil’s advocate.

I will begin with my argument:
1. Cutting is seen as self harm/ mutilation – this has to be triggered by some factor.

As you may have heard recently, there was an outbreak of incidences relating youth members mutilating themselves. Some people have questioned this and have said that these incidences are triggered due to lack of attention – in an attempt to attract more attention.

Despite this, many health statistical reports and psychological crown reports for health have shown a list of fact of more than possible. If anything, attention seeking is actually a small factor of contribution towards self-harm/ cutting

This is a list of possible factors contributing towards cutting (self harm):

• Pressure effects from being of a different sexual orientation/ preference
  • Low class/ economic/ social status
  • Low levels of self- esteem
  • Being very critical of one-self
  • Trauma from bullying
  • Experiencing psychological/physical/verbal trauma
  • Bad family relationships/ domestic abuse.
  • Mental illnesses- depression/ ocd/ anxiety
  • Impulsiveness to self-harm
  • Bad anger/ mentality coping methods

I got the information from this source. I did not paste the image because I wanted to expand slightly on the list. http://data2.whicdn.com...

To my opponent, can you see now why cutting/self harm is not actually stupid or “retarded”? I will expand on this now:
2. Cutting/ self harm is a coping method.

It has been psychological shown that the main reason why people of any age, race or creed, cut themselves, Is because it is used to be a coping method for dealing with pressures from many factors of influence (see list above).

You may be thinking why these victims cut themselves with the purpose of trying to cope/ relieve themselves from problems when they could just try to find other methods of coping with these problems; well consider this:

If you were someone who was suffering from mental illnesses or was having to deal with trauma of a certain experience, in order to find a coping method, that person would be in an irrational state of thinking so we can see that it would it would hard for that person to adopt a more appropriate coping method. Kind of like clutching at a straw.

Summary

I have shown that cutting in the eyes of many, cutting may seem odd and stupid to do; but in real fact and reality cutting one’s self is a mental relieving method from one’s problems. As I have said before, self harm is used to cope with pressure/ problems such as abuse, mental illnesses, psychological trauma and others. In someone’s else’s eyes, they may see someone self harming as a silly thing to do, but in reality these people are just trying to find a way to cope with problems, their mind is not working rationally, so many people opt for the cutting method.

I will expand on my argument in the next round.

Rebuttals:

“It may trick people in beleiving it helps

You may say that cutting is basically a placebo and is useless, but it has shown cutting has helped cope with problems, the only things wrong cutting is that person is mutilating themselves and that cutting may induce withdrawal symptoms afterwards- causing a varying range of grief and regret. In retrospect, cutting does help people cope with problems.

“But in reality it hasn't they have deluded to themselves into thinking it helps

Once again, these people are facing psychological problems and are in an irrational state of thinking. These people are only cutting themselves, because there are problems in their lives which are affecting them greatly. Therefore, these people can’t be judged or called “stupid” etc due to the fact that they are not morally responsible for their actions and also because their actions of cutting are actually influenced by external factors.

it must be for attention.

“unless you consider it's for attention but cutters almost never admit that it's for attention.

Most of the time, cutting is not for attention. It has shown that there have only been a few groups or reported/ notable spikes in cutting trends compared the percentage of factors psychological and mental factors of influence which make up the large majority of factors. People in general usually think that cutting is only for attention, but this idea has only been introduced due to the effects of the media spreading these idea (examples include “cut4Beiber”).

Now can you see why cutting is not actually stupid (stupid is actually quite subjective)?

I hope that I have been able to persuade you why this is so. You really have to think from the perspective of someone in the situation of having to cut.

http://www.nhs.uk...

http://www.elementsbehavioralhealth.com...

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com...

http://www.pandys.org...

http://www.thesite.org...

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com...

Thank you and vote con!

Masterfrogger

Pro

Masterfrogger forfeited this round.
NiamC

Con

My points remain unrefuted.

Its seems that my opponent failed to do so....

Vote Me!
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
MasterfroggerNiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
MasterfroggerNiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Forfeit. Argument: Pro did a little rant of his assertions about other people (or himself, no judgement) but did not even attempt to defend his stance when any points were made against it. Con pointed out a number of of things that contribute to someone starting to cut, pretty much making it perhaps the only logical thing to do for some people in those situations (not saying it's the best thing in an ideal would... yet such a world would not have given them reason to).
Vote Placed by Vexorator 3 years ago
Vexorator
MasterfroggerNiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited. Con made very good arguments.
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
MasterfroggerNiamCTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture