mirakc
XionChan

That grades should be abolished

mirakc

mirakc

Con

Schools should not take away grading systems for an assortment of reasons. One reason is because it gives kids motivation to do well in schools. Let's students create goals and incentives.
XionChan

Pro

I want to accept this debate.

While it is true that it may encourage students to learn more, I think that students may get bullied (but then again, people bully other people anyways.)

I must admit that I've never been in a school system, so I wouldn't quite know what it would feel like in a social environment. My father doesn't always use letters for grades, he uses numbers and percentages. While it is good to know how I did on a test, I think grading systems would have a negative effect after a while, because there will be a bad day where you fail, and some children, depending on their parents, may take it too seriously and beat themselves over it. Dependent upon the student, the grading system would have a negative effect over time. Everybody is full of pride and vanity. To get an F or a 50% grade would be crushing.
mirakc

Con

Grading systems provide the identification of students trying. Without grades, no one will know whether the student is trying to get good grades or at least doing well at school. If the teacher says that the assignment will be graded, the kids get worried and want to get good grades. They will try more and will hopefully succeed with hard work and practice. But if the teacher says that the assignment won't be graded, then they won't try and won't put in 100% of their hard work. Everyone can achieve greatness but they have to try. This is another argument saying that there should be grading systems.
XionChan

Pro

That is indeed a good point.

However.

What percentage is ACTUALLY trying? Children always find ways to cheat. They wouldn't care about the education when it comes to grading, because they'll be more focused on the reward they get when they receive top billing in their class. I think that not only should grades be abolished, but that they need to mark it harder for kids to pass schools. I digress on that, as that is a completely different subject.

But I think that the grading system is partially the reason why America is ranked 36 in the world on education. (http://www.cnycentral.com...)

Of course, that isn't to say that other countries don't have grading systems. They just emphasize the importance of actual learning than focus on the money their government gives them for giving students "successful" grades.

Honestly, the grading system is very flawed. Schools are making it easier for kids to pass, and that is unethical. The only reason they make it easier to pass school is not for the sake of the child, but for the revenue it gets from the government.
mirakc

Con

Your points are very interesting and I partially agree with them.

Although, rewards aren't exactly a bad thing. For example, the reward of doing well in high school is going to a good college. That is the reward. The think you are working towards. The reason why there are rewards in the world is because some kids are not that focused and have that good work ethic. If they get something in return, then they will work towards it like college. I'm not saying things like bribes but rewards. In this case: grades. Kids will work toward good grades which means that they will try to do well on their assignments. If a student really wants to do well they will not cheat. When you are taking the SAT, you won't be sitting next to someone. You will be by yourself. I am getting off topic but my main idea is that kids need to have a goal or in this case a reward to work towards to achieve success.

It is very true that some teachers or even schools go easy on the students. But that is the family problem. If families want their child to do well or find out their strengths and weaknesses, they will find the school or even teacher(s) that will give them the most productive or hardest grades.

It may be embarrassing having bad grades or you may be punished but it all comes down to what the student wants for him or herself. If the student wants to do well they will earn their prize. They may not even earn a prize but it's just the satisfying feeling that you did your best. Putting in 100% is all anyone wants to ask for. Grades just reflect on how the student is doing, how hard they are working or trying, etc. Grades are meant to help you not punish you.

XionChan

Pro

I did not expect such a great reply; I am stumped.

While it is true that school choice is a family problem, I also believe rewards are partially family issues, as well.
The reason I sometimes don't try on my tests is because I expect a reward afterwards, and your are correct on that issue. But for me, the reward I expect isn't a number, or a letter, I expect something more like, "You did very well on your test!" from my parents.

I know different kids are different; some may want candy, others, money, and others, top billings.

I think that if they abolished the grading system, they should replace it with something more special. Like, maybe, somehow, have their parents or their guardian, or whoever they respect the most, have them in the room with them. That way, they could try their hardest to get all the answers on their test correct, and when the teacher hands them the report card, or results, their guardian or whatever could give them the best gratitude.

If people saw how hard their children worked, I think that would make children work harder, to get the reward of gratitude.

Obviously, some people applaud their kids with receiving an "A" or 100% anyways, but--and I'm not sure how I'm going to express this--I think the kids may associate it too much. They won't feel the same thing after a while; they'll just feel like their getting applauded for the letter, or number. I think they should be applauded for the effort, and that would be the best reward.
mirakc

Con

That is very true. As we both said before, all kids are different. Which means they receive or expect different rewards. It is very true that some kids like having their family or just parents appreciate and acknowledge that their child is doing well and compliment them. Some families take their child to the movies if the child is doing well. I believe that we both agree with this: it all depends on the family. You were talking about yourself and what you like when you do good a test. Other kids may be different.

There should be grading systems because it tells families and students how the student is doing. After the family and student find out how the kid is doing, they will figure out what reward they will get. Whether that is a trip to the candy store or just a sweet compliment. It's not just 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 or A, A-, B+, etc, schools/teachers are supposed to write a note about you. How you do in class, how well you work etc. What your teacher thinks of you.

I think that kids obsess too much with grades. How well they do, what their parents will say but at the end of the day, if you worked hard, you will get good grades and you will receive whatever reward your parents give you. Believe me, I agree with you. Kids shouldn't get a trip to the movies because they do well. They should be supplied with a reward of compliments or even just a hug. I think that is the best reward anyone can receive.

In conclusion, grading systems should stay in schools because it provides students with information on how well they are doing and their strengths and weaknesses. Whatever reward or punishment you get, you deserve it because at the end of the day, it's how hard you work in school. Thank you.
XionChan

Pro

Damn. I must say, I haven't any further thoughts on this. You pulled out a lot of points on this, and I can't really reply to them. I'm all out of arguments for this.

I had fun with this debate, and thank you for putting up such a great argument.
Posted by mirakc 3 years ago
mirakc
And if you can't be part of the debate, than you still can be part voting style!
Posted by mirakc 3 years ago
mirakc
Can't you still be part of this debate? And I agree with your argument
Posted by sillaf27 3 years ago
sillaf27
The people who complain about a grading system often do not get good grades and feel embarrassed about it. That is good since any student who wishes to improve will not want to fell bad about their grades and will then work harder. The reason the United States scores so low (as stated in your link) is because instructors take it too easy. Many Asian countries succeed in education because they drive their students to be competitive. Competition is what makes people better at things. The unites states education system is weak and filled with sympathy for those who fail and inist that the system be fair to all which lowers the standards in general and the intelligent students are left with an unintelligent curriculum because the lazy students don't care about improvement and whine when they get poor grades. I wish I was in this debate
Posted by mirakc 3 years ago
mirakc
Also just saying, I mean all grades in general. Testing, assignment grades, AND report cards.
Posted by mirakc 3 years ago
mirakc
I think that it is okay if you don't go to public school. If you know someone who is in school who has shared their experience with you, i think that it is okay. If we are going to debate, use real facts from the internet.
Posted by XionChan 3 years ago
XionChan
..Sir.. I don't have to be in a social setting; I know plenty of people who are in public school, and they complain about stuff like this all the time. I'm a very observant person, as well.
Posted by sillaf27 3 years ago
sillaf27
I do not mean to be rude sir but if you do not know the effect of grades in a social setting and have never been in a school system Im not sure that you are qualified for this debate.
Posted by XionChan 3 years ago
XionChan
Do you mean grades as in "A," "B" "C" "D" "F"? I thought only grade schools did that? High schools use numbers, right?
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
mirakcXionChanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.