Olivetree24
1970vu

That greyhound racing should be made illegal

1970vu

Olivetree24

Pro

Okay, this is my first time starting a debate so thanks to anyone who accepts the challenge. But I have to lay out a few guidelines...
1. If you accept the challenge you must be prepared to debate in the same demeanor as you would if you were actually debating out loud. That means you can't refer to your opponent by their name/ username, no slang and for gods sakes signpost...
2. Please be prepared to debate the whole debate, when you forfeit it isn't any fun for anyone.
3. Lastly, have fun...
So let the games begin and may the odds ever be in your favour...
1970vu

Con

Okay then.
Olivetree24

Pro

Hi there,
There is no doubt in my mind that greyhound racing is cruel and should be abolished and I am here to convince you too. I define the topic as the competitive racing of the dog breed; greyhounds, should be completely abolished as a sport. I will be arguing the social side of the split in this round. In the middle ages greyhounds were observed as the dogs of nobility, since then we have only managed to undermine the originally nobilic, sleek, exquisite dogs and forced them into "racing for their lives." They have gone from the top of the heirarchy of dogs to the rock bottom, forced to wear muzzles in public and only seen as those dogs you see on the TV, racing. They are identified as the racing dogs and have to other meaning. If these dogs were freed of their undermining title they might finally be seen as something else; the lazy and sweet family pet that they are. THESE DOGS ARE NOT MEANT FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES AND ARE LIVING CREATURES TOO.
1970vu

Con

The racing industry provides thousands of jobs for people. Banning Dog racing would cost the economy a lot of money. Having those races will boost tax revenue. We as a society want to improve. So when we looked at the greyhound races, we did notice some problems. We looked over the races. Changed some of the rules. And improved the races. That does not mean that dogs are still not being mistreated. But if we Took a look at the past and compared it to today, we have improved. In the past, dogs were treated much more worse. So yes maybe it is not perfect. But man is not perfect.

Today the American greyhound association proudly sponsors these races. Having these races will bring many jobs to people without jobs.
Olivetree24

Pro

Olivetree24 forfeited this round.
1970vu

Con

Okay. Vote for me or my opponent. I do not really care.
Olivetree24

Pro

Hi and sorry about the last round I thought I put it up already...
Yes, recently greyhound racing numbers have slightly decreased over time but how can we still deny the extremely prominent exsistence of the mass killing of greyhounds; over 20,000 anually. Because of the massive demand for more puppies over 25,000 are born annually, of these 1000's only 1/2 will make it to the training age. During this stage 1000's of greyhounds will be killed because they refuse to chase, aren't fast enough or because they injured themselves. The remaining few greyhounds will continue on to racecompetitively for several years usually stopped by the age of 4. But greyhounds have an average lifespan of 12 years and only 500 greyhounds get rescued by greyhound resuce groups leaving the remaining greyhounds. Because of the greyhound racing industry keeping it all hush hush the public doesn't often know about the mass killings and torturing of these animals that happens annually and they need to know.
1970vu

Con

If we ban these races, where are the dogs going to go? Remember that some dogs have been in much more worse places. As I said before, this industry provides thousands of jobs for people. And making these races illegal will put people into poverty. I do support stricter laws to make sure that dogs are being treated fairly. I also support better oversight so that the laws that we have now are being followed. But banning them is to me a putdown to all those families whose only income might come from working in the industry.

Thank you and this was a great debate.
Vote Placed by MrVan 3 years ago
MrVan
Olivetree241970vuTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro loses conduct for forfeiting the third round, but otherwise did a pretty good job for his/her first debate. Both Pro and Con provided valid arguments, though I was more emotionally swayed by Pro.