smithk96
jsac9

That high school should start no earlier than 9 AM

smithk96

Pro

Being that I am in college now and I got through high school, I think I am able to argue the point that high school should be set at a later time. Seeing that most teens now a days really don't go to sleep until midnight or one in the morning, because they are on Facebook, Tweeting, watching TV, or sometimes even doing homework, they don't get those full eight hours of sleep that doctors recommend that people have in order to be alert and responsive through out the day. The reason being is because, from my personal experience, my homeroom started at 7:45 AM, which is around what the national time is for most Americans to start school. I really didn't go to sleep til around midnight or one because I wouldn't notice what time it was until I looked down at the clock on the computer, and saw that it was. Then I would get up five or four hours later, because I would also have to take the bus at 6:00 AM, which most students take the bus also. Which means they have to get up even earlier than needed. And I understand that you might argue that people sleep on the bus, but there are those couple of people that don't. Me being a part of those people. Then when I got to school I would go to homeroom and start my day. Then from first through third people I would be half asleep because I didn't get that much sleep the night before. In most teenagers case they have the same problem. Which makes them enable to learn because most of the time their sleeping, and not learning. Therefore I say we bump up the time to no earlier than 9 AM.
jsac9

Con

What about sports? I personally started school at 7:30 each morning, and ended at 2:15. I played sports 2 out of the three school seasons, and they both lasted well into the day with practices and games. Most days we would end practice around 5ish, and games would last maybe till 6 if we were home and wouldnt get back till 7 if we were away and that is with games starting around 3. Just imagine if school started at 9, school wouldnt end until 4 o clock every day, and students who play sports or for that matter any other club or activity would not get back to their homes until after 8 or 9 o clock. Then faced with the task of homework and eating dinner and showering, by that time it will be time to go to bed. So your arguement sounds like people should just pay attention to the time and go to bed, because the reason they are up is because you are goofing off or just having fun.
smithk96

Pro

I understand sports also because I did do those too. I understand that you don't get home until later on in the day but really sports only take out a good two to four hours out of your day. But, that is the cost of playing a sport. Because the school doesn't force you to do it you choose to do it yourself. I choose to do it and that was why I really didn't keep tract of time. That is why I am saying that we should delay school til 9 AM because then you, as an athlete, would have time to come home, eat, do homework, and get your full eight hours of sleep. Unfortunately, yes you are giving up a lot of time that students use for other activities like I said in my prior argument. But, now you can have a good amount of sleep and pay attention in class.
jsac9

Con

The problem isnt that the school is too early, it is that you are losing track of time, something easily fixed. That is your choice to lose track of time because you are not paying attention. The current standard is set so that everything can be completed by atleast 11 and then off to bed. What ever else you do is your problem and cannot blame that on school starting too early. Better time management is all im saying. Also because you are choosing to play a sport, you are forfieting that time where you could be doing other things. so therefore that also is not the schools responsibility that you choose to spend your time playing a sport. In the end you can not blame the school for giving you no time to do things when you ay you are spending that time on facebook or other media sources, because school, sports, homework, and cleaning and eating should all be done by atleast 11 o clock if your saying that sports do not take that much time.
smithk96

Pro

smithk96 forfeited this round.
jsac9

Con

jsac9 forfeited this round.
smithk96

Pro

smithk96 forfeited this round.
jsac9

Con

jsac9 forfeited this round.
smithk96

Pro

smithk96 forfeited this round.
jsac9

Con

jsac9 forfeited this round.
Posted by kyleighlinebaugh 5 years ago
kyleighlinebaugh
School should not start later then 9am. This is not going to help the kids with anything they will just stay up longer because they know they don't have to get up as early. Try fitting in practices for sports yeah not going to happen. This would be an awful decision to start school later because kids need to learn how to get up early even though you may not get up early in college you will have to for your job.
Posted by Hardcore.Pwnography 5 years ago
Hardcore.Pwnography
High school starts at 9AM in Canada