That in Most Cases, Abortion is Wrong.

I challenge sjrrj to this debate due to a heated exchange in the message section.

The topic is that in most cases, abortion is wrong. The BoP is shared in this debate. I urge my opponent to use links and sources to back up evidence, as it should make for a better debate.

Round 1: Acceptance.
Round 2: Arguments only.
Round 3: Rebuttals only.
Round 4: Closing, rebuttals allowed.

If I or my opponent breaks this structure, the conduct point is immediately forfeited. However, it will not result in a full, 7-point forfeiture. The rules are as follow:

No plagiarizing
No heavy swearing
Keep the debate on topic
No arguing about the structure/rules.

Abortion: The deliberate termination of an unborn fetus.

I wish the best of luck to my opponent, and look forward to a great debate!

I accept this debate topic. Good luck opponent.

Thank you for accepting. Keep in mind that I only believe that in most cases abortion is wrong, not all cases. The BoP is shared. I wish luck to my opponent!

Before I begin my arguments, I would like to clarify what I mean by "in most cases." I make two exceptions as to when abortion is O.K: In cases of rape and in cases of when the mother and/or baby would die if an abortion is not performed. As my stats show (later in the debate) this is only about 10-15% of abortions, so 85-90% (of wrong abortions) satisfies the meaning of "most."

My opponent can argue that in most cases, abortion is right. But I remind her, she must show statistics to back up the meaning of "most." She may also argue that abortion is always right, etc. Without further ado, on to the debate!

==Argument I==

A. My first argument lies on the basis of the life of the fetus. It is largely debated when the fetus becomes alive. A lot of people say it becomes alive at the moment of conception. When the egg becomes fertilized, it is the very beginning of a process of maturity and life. Thus, the way I see it, the beginning of maturity and growth is the beginning of life for the baby.

"The development of a human being begins with fertilization, a process by which two highly specialized cells, the
spermatozoon from the male and the oocyte from the female, unite to give rise to a new organism, the zygote."
[Langman, Jan. Medical Embryology. 3rd edition. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1975, p. 3] [1]

B. However, it does not fully matter when the baby is alive, as any way you look at it, abortion is essentially taking away a life. The fetus (on balance) has a very high chance to live, or have a life. Taking away that chance is essentially taking away a life, or a chance at life [2]. If murder is highly, highly wrong, then it stands to reason (by definition of "taking away a life") that abortion should be at least somewhat wrong.

==Argument II==

A. This argument will lie on legal documents and oaths. First, doctors. It is well known that it is expected for doctors to treat and save lives, not terminate chances at life. In fact, in the classic Hippocratic Oath, it states, "...similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. [3]" In another version of the oath, it states that the doctor should not play at God. This means a doctor should not be able to decide who lives and dies without very strong reason.

B. It is debatable that the fourteenth amendment protects the fetuses' rights. The fourteenth amendment states that no state should deprive any person of life, liberty, or property [4]. The term "any person" most likely does include fetuses, as a fetus is technically a person, even if it is not alive. Thus, the constitution should not allow abortion [5].

C. To extend upon point A, most abortions do not have a very good reason. 3/4 tested people who have had abortions say that having a child will interfere with work/activities, while 1/2 say that they do not want to raise a child alone/with their husband [6]. This suggests that a baby's chance at life is taken away just so the mother can have better quality in life. That is not a good reason to play at God (as the oath states.) Thus, a doctor performing an abortion should be wrong, which significantly helps my case.

"To forbid birth is only quicker murder.... He is a man, who is to be a man; the fruit is always present in the seed." -Tertullian

I would also like to say that only 13 percent of women have abortions due to health implications, and only a handful would be fatal. Less than 1% are survivors of rape [6].

==Argument III==

A. My statement above sets up another argument here: over 99% of women voluntarily had sexual intercourse. This means over 99% of women knew that they could become pregnant, and they took the chance anyway. If a woman becomes pregnant by having consensual intercourse, they know full well what they are doing and the risks they take. A woman should not take the easy way out by having an abortion, but rather embrace their actions.

B. There is always the chance that your spouse will run away, that you will lose your job, etc. and that you won't be able to support a child. However, adoption is an option. There are clinics and people who volunteer their life to helping unsupported children [7]. It is wrong to take away a chance at life (via abortion) when you can possibly give them a
better life. Point is, there are other, and much better, choices besides abortion [8].

"With every kind of birth control available in the world, abortion is not something to be proud of. If you need an abortion, you've failed." -Tammy Bruce, Speech, April 6, 2005.

==Argument IV==

A. My fourth argument is that abortion can cause physiological pain and stress. This is called PASS, or post abortion stress syndrome. Studies show that about 55% of women will experience symptoms of PASS after an abortion, and about 50% will show remorse and regret sometime after the abortion [9][10]. Abortion doesn't just take away a baby's chance at life, but it also can take away some quality in life for the woman.

B. My second point is quite interesting to me (given my third argument about birth/adoption.) Further statistics and studies show that patients who had an abortion commit suicide 35 per 100,000 people. People who give birth commit suicide 6 per 100,000 people [11]. Also, 45% of women experience suicidal thoughts after abortion. These statistics easily show that abortion is wrong due to psychological and stress issues, and that adoption is a much better option.

These findings can also be backed up by Doctor David C. Reardon in his book, Aborted Women, Silent no More [12].

C. My third point is that legalized and illegalized abortion can kill the mother, also. Along with the millions and millions of life chances taken away, more 400 women have died due to safe abortion [13]. 47,000 die each year from unsafe abortions [14]. Anything that a human does that kills thousands annually should be considered "wrong," especially if there is a "safe side" to the action.

I see this as a good stopping point. I think four arguments is enough for this debate. I eagerly await con's arguments, and I wish her luck!

--Please note absolutely NO DISRESPECT is intended towards women in my argument.--

[2] (See bottom of page.)

sjrrj forfeited this round.

Not really to be a jerk or anything, but really? I saw you were on numerous times during our debate, and you couldn't take a minute out of your day to tell me that you can't post and argument? I mean, I spent three hours typing and researching, AFTER you said you could whip me down in a second (in the message section.)

I'm very, very dissapointed as to how this debate turned out. Anyway, my opponent doesn't make any arguments, so her BoP can not be fulfilled. Thus, I believe you should vote pro!

I ask con to at LEAST type a sentence in round three and four so I don't have to wait six days for the debate to go into voting period.

sjrrj forfeited this round.

Despite my opponent being on numerous times during the past three days, she forfeits.

Vote for me due to this concession.

Extend arguments.

I apologize for letting the time go to waste. My family has recently been through a crisis and I never would have taken part in this debate had I known it would happen. I apologize for not being able to debate. Though my profile said I was online for much of the time my argument was due, I actually was not, and the few times I was able to glance at it, I did not have enough time to make a clear statement, let alone an argument. I apologize for this waste of time. Hopefully some time in the future we may be able to redo this debate. I sincerely apologize to my opponent for taking up his time. Vote for him, as I am not able to continue this debate effectively. Good night everyone.
Posted by sjrrj 1 year ago
And thank you.
Posted by sjrrj 1 year ago
No problem. I just don't want there to be bad blood between the two of us.
Posted by dtaylor971 1 year ago
It's O.K. Best of luck to you and your family :)

And thanks for posting in the last round
Posted by sjrrj 1 year ago
Again I am sorry for taking up your time. I never would have accepted it at all had you challenged me a few days later.
Posted by sjrrj 1 year ago
It was better than to let it go to waste. But please don't assume I was just letting the time run out because I didn't care to write a sentence. I was standing by my family the whole week and didn't even get to really glance at this. Good night.
Posted by dtaylor971 1 year ago
Thanks sjrrj :)
Posted by sjrrj 1 year ago
Though I am passionate about this subject and truly believe it is not wrong to have an abortion, I encourage voters to vote for my opponent as this debate could not be carried out. I apologize for the inconvenience. I wish my opponent the best of luck in the future. Good night all.
Posted by dtaylor971 1 year ago
And I wish best of luck to you and your family.
Posted by dtaylor971 1 year ago
Understood. But I said the outline was not good, but I certainly didn't say it was terrible. But as you're on right now, just post a sentence. Thats all I ask.
Posted by sjrrj 1 year ago
I didn't know I had a lot of stuff going on. My family is going through a crisis right now. And I didn't single you out. It was over message I asked if you were going to post your argument because you accepted a debate that I didn't even challenge you to and you started saying how terrible it was. I said I could beat you with this topic because I honestly thought I would have time. I accepted this and a few others because I honestly though I had nothing to do this week and it was just a way to waste time. I did not know something would occur in my family. Otherwise I would not have accepted it at all.
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Concession/Forfeiture