WithoutMercy
AbnormalReasoner

That our elders had it better than we do

WithoutMercy

Con

Definition of the topic (just to make it clear): that past generations (ie. our parents, grandparents) had better lives and greater opportunities than current generations.

I will be arguing that today we are better off than our parents, grandparents etc. and Con will be arguing that past generations had life better.

Rules: 1. No swearing or anything like that.
2. This will be my first debate, so if I'm not the best opponent, sorry, I have debated in competitions in person before though.

Round 1 will be acceptance of the debate and challenge.

Round 2: initial arguments.

Round 3: rebuttal and more arguments

Round 4: rebuttal and summing up of arguments etc.
AbnormalReasoner

Pro

WithoutMercy

Con

For round 2, I will be concentrating on education.

First of all, today we have a much greater choice to do what we want with our lives than past generations did. If we want to be doctors, we can, if we want to be postman, we can, if we want to be secretaries, we can. What we do is no longer dictated by the restrictions placed upon us by our parents, we have greater freedom of choice.

Women no longer have to stay at home, and just clean, cook, do the washing and act as their husbands slave or servant. Women can go to university and study courses such as engineering that, many years ago, have been considered "men's work". There is greater educational equality than there ever was for past generations.

Secondly, we also have greater technology available to us for learning. Most everyone has a laptop or some form of technology to assist with researching assignments and homework. Instead of taking a trip to the library every time they needed to use the internet, as my parents had to, we turn on our laptop and the world, or at least Google, is at our fingertips. With the click of a few buttons, we can research whatever we want, can keep in touch with friends and family also.

Lastly, we suffer less harsh punishments than our elders did. There's no threat of lashes from the cane if you incorrectly spell a spelling word, or if a maths problem is wrong. No teacher can bring the ruler down on our hands for making a mistake in our "copy book". Whilst punishments such as suspension, detention, rubbish duty and even expulsion are common in schools, these punishments don't negatively impact the physical health of the student that is being punished.
AbnormalReasoner

Pro

AbnormalReasoner forfeited this round.
WithoutMercy

Con

WithoutMercy forfeited this round.
AbnormalReasoner

Pro

AbnormalReasoner forfeited this round.
WithoutMercy

Con

Ok, so I think my opponent has left, please, don't sign up for doing a debate if you're not going to follow it through.
AbnormalReasoner

Pro

AbnormalReasoner forfeited this round.