db8nrd337
socratits

That people should allowed to have tattoos (visible) in the workplace

socratits

db8nrd337

Pro

I would argue that tattoos are as much a part of a person's identity as eye color, if not more so. Most people who have spent the money (and time) in tattoo parlors have done so because their body art means something to them, and the ones that do not want to hide their tattoos.

Here are some tattoo statistics as provided by statisticbrain.com

45 Million Americans have at least one tattoo
17% of those people regret their tattoo(s)
and 43% of those believe that personal meaning is the most important factor when getting a tattoo.

It is insulting to tell those 45 million Americans to hide their identity simply because of a common stereotype.

Also, if a person were to be fired for their tattoo being visible, the Equal Employment Opportunity Act does not protect them. The exception to these is tattoos that cannot be covered due to religious beliefs, but that is because of religion.

As a tattooed individual, the stigma against tattoos is simply ridiculous. I am tattooed on both of my wrists, and I am not a delinquent, I am not a rebel, and I do no consider myself above the law. However, I do believe I should not have to cover my tattoos in my workplace. Tattooed people deserve a chance.
socratits

Con

Through your arguments, I am assuming you are stating that all forms of tattoos should be visible period. I am assuming this because of the statistics that you gave and how you stated that it's insulting for people who have tattoos to cover up their identity.

I hope that you realize tattoos aren't banned in every workforce. For example, anything that doesn't require human interactions allow tattoos in their workplace assuming it goes with the work culture. i.e. laid back environment. Even social jobs such as bartending (on certain occasions) allow one to express their identity.

The reason why the workforce tends to lean onto hiding tattoos because it prevents a lot more conflicts than allowing tattoos in the workforce. Specifically, by hiding your tattoos it seems more professional and it guarantees that it wont offend anyone who sees another person's tattoo.

Even though it is your right to express yourself, your rights are limited for the job you take. It was YOUR decision to apply for a certain job. It was YOUR choice to accept the legal and cultural terms of the company. If you don't accept those terms, you dont have to work there. But when you do accept a job, the company assumes that you understand their policies. This isn't just a restriction placed on tattoos. There are many jobs that require one to adapt to company policies. For research, you get paid based on a set time. i.e. for 40 hours or 20 hours for part time. Whether you work 2 hours a week or 60 hours a week. You get paid for the same amount of time that you agreed on with your contract.
db8nrd337

Pro

db8nrd337 forfeited this round.
socratits

Con

extended.
db8nrd337

Pro

db8nrd337 forfeited this round.
socratits

Con

extended.
Posted by Mikal 2 years ago
Mikal
if you scope this more i may take it
Vote Placed by the_unknown_debator 2 years ago
the_unknown_debator
db8nrd337socratitsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made the better argument.