Debateuhbull
alvinthegreat

That pornography should be banned.

Debateuhbull

Pro

Ladies and gentlemen, today I am proud to propose the moot "that pornography should be banned". Pornography is a degrading, dark and corrupting part of our society that is threatening to unhinge sexual relationships, lead to sex addiction in our young people and create unsavoury expectations of appearance and performance that the young members of Western society are already being exposed to too much. In my first post, I will define the moot, and describe the negative aspects of pornography. In later posts I will rebut the CON's arguments and give examples on how the banning of pornography will be benificial to society.

First I will clarify the moot: I, as PRO, argue that the distribution of pornography (images containing explicit and specificially sexual material out of context of movies, drama or other creative fields), whether by means of the Internet, magazines or other forms, should be made illegal. For the purpose of this debate, the creation of private sexual material such as sex videos which are then NOT distributed to others or sold will not be regarded as a factor, as the upholding of laws banning privately created and held material would be impossible.

My first argument concerns the nature of modern pornography. In ancient times, pornography consisted of sexal images etched onto tablets or, later, painted or drawn onto cards or other mediums. These were then purchased on an individual basis and were then owned exclusively by the buyer for personal viewing. On these terms, pornography was perhaps not so much of a problem as a limited number of people, all of them adults, were being exposed to such material, and it did not involve degrading or perverted scenes such as rape or fetishes. However, this is not now the case for pornography in today's world.

These days, pornography is wide-spread, easily accessible and is becoming consistently more degraded. The main cause for this is the internet. If I or my opponent, or any of the audience so wished, they could be viewing pornographic images or watching porn movies in less than a minute. Age is not an issue for much of this material; for example, Porno Tube, one of the pornographic spinoffs of YouTube, demands under law that users provide their date of birth as "proof" that they are over the age of 18. Below this is a statement that the person accessing the website acknowledges that they are at the legal age to watch pornography. However, all it would take for a 15-year-old to access this site would be a fake date of birth, and they could be viewing all of this material without repercussions. This, ladies and gentlemen, is not good enough. If pornography were made illegal outright, it would be much more difficult for websites such as Porno Tube to operate so publicly. The website, along with others, is currently hiding behind very weak methods of adhering to the weak laws in place concerning pornography. They are legally required to make their audience SAY that they are over 18, but they are not required to care who actually watches the material.

Internet porn has also caused the porn to become more perverted. In the past, pornography consisted simply of nude men or women, perhaps having sex in a variety of positions, some of them dirty. However, the hugely increased accessibility of porn due to the internet has seen a broadening of the genre to include videos depicting rape, gagging, physical abuse, vomit, faeces, and god knows what else. Is this the sort of material we want people to be watching? Of course, what people do in their own homes is their business, but to freely distribute this kind of thing on the internet, and even put them as the subject of pop-ads that people don't ask to see is, frankly, perverted. Young kids, who can easily be tempted by curiousity to watch porn (we've all been there, guys!), could stumble upon things like this equally easily.

And even the least perverted porn these days is degrading to women. This is an obvious argument for the PRO side in this debate, but it is an important one. Women are portrayed as sex-crazed and loose, who will do anything and take anything from their sexual partner (or partners!); this forces unreasonable expectations on both the men who watch the porn and the sexual partners of these men. Sex should be an expression of love, intimacy and mutual pleasure, not satisfaction of a man's perverted fantasy. This kind of portrayal of sex leads to conflicts in relationships as men who have sexual partners and also watch porn are given mixed messages as to what they should expect when it comes to sex. This is obvious in today's youth society where sex is seen as a kind of currency for love; girls are told to 'put out' as early as possible in a relationship in order to secure their partner's affection. This leads me to my next point.

Pornography also creates rediculous expectations of performance on men as well as women. While women are encouraged to be loose and easy and to submit to the will of their male partner, pressure of a different kind is put on men. They are shown unrealistic role models of sexual performance and overall physical appearance. When it comes to sex, society is gripped by the notions that 'bigger is better' and that quantity ranks over quality;the primary cause of this is the standard put forth by pornography. I will not go too far into this point as it speaks for itself! Both men and women are exposed also to unfair physical standards by pornography. Fake breasts, wide hips and dyed blonde hair have become staple aspects of female porn stars, while physical perfection and an overly muscular physique is the standard for men. This produces a cold view of sex that focuses only on the physical and not the emotional factors. Pornography only provides the images; none of the love and intimacy that should be present in consensual sex is present in pornographic images and videos.

For all these reasons (and more to come), I have proved that pornography is an unsavoury and rediculous form of expression that degrades the beauty and naturalness of sex, as well as degrading the actors involved and the relationships and thoughts of the audience that watch it. Because of this, I am proud to propose. I await the reply of a challenger with anticipation!
alvinthegreat

Con

Thank you debateuhbull for hosting this debate.
First, let me say the Pornography (Porn or Porno from now on) cannot be quantified in terms of its morality. Porn is what is, the recording of sexual acts on some kind of media so that others can view it and perhaps receive sexual pleasure from it. Yet, my opponent has far over reached what pornography actually is and has made several overarching generalizations that are patently false and equivocal.
Let me point out some general flaws in my opponent's argument

1)First and most importantly, my opponent has imposed his own moral/ethical/world view on this subject. What may be perverted in his eyes may be perfectly normal in another person's eyes. The paradigm in which he is placing pornography is undeniably influenced by his personal view of the world. Several of his arguments, such as "ridiculous expectations" and "perversion" and "degradation of women" illustrate the fact that his viewpoint is wholly subjective and should be treated as such.
Although you may not find anything wrong with his moral view, other people might find his moral viewpoint wrong. The fact is, society is composed of different people with different moral viewpoints, and the imposition of a single viewpoint should be justified beyond doubt, which leads me to my next point.

2.My opponent has not given the overwhelming evidence that pornography is posing a serious harm on anyone, or at least not enough to justify banning it. Since the burden of proof is on him, I must demand CITED evidence from him to demonstrate his points, and until then, none of his so called "evidence" holds up. Nevertheless, I shall go on and line-by-line his arguments:

i) Porno is widely available – so what? We still have the ability to make a decision to go visit a porno site or to buy a porno magazine. The main distinction is that we have the ability to choose whether we want to visit a porno site or not. My opponent has also acknowledged this: "If I or my opponent, or any of the audience so wished, they could be viewing
pornographic images or watching porn movies in less than a minute."

Secondly, how is pornography in any way, shape, or form damaging to young adults? You made it seem

Thirdly, my opponent mentions several sub-genres of porn such as fetishes and rape ect. First, I would like you to find me a dedicated rape-site that is based in the United States. The fact is, you're not gonna find one because it would violate the Miller Test. You mind find them based in other nations, but not the US. Secondly, you still possess the ability to choose whether you want to visit a simulated rape website. The choice is always there, unless someone held a gun to your head or something.

ii) "porno is disgusting/perverted"

Firstly, this is a totally subjective argument. Not all porn is disguisting and perverted, in fact, you'll find that the majority of sex-related material on the internet is in fact not rape-based, fetishes, animal-human sex. These only occupy an extremely small niche in the porn industry.

Secondly, does this cause actual harm to society? I doubt it

Thirdly, does this make porn more harmful than homicide novels or CSI? Both contain disgusting and perhaps violent imagery, yet we accept homicide novels and CSI with little reservation.

iii) "porno degrades women" – again, this is a totally subjective term. What does "degrade" actually mean? Are their socio-economic status being threatened by pornography? I think not. The status of women has been improving ever since the founding of America. In fact, more women are going to college and employed than men.
Degrade is a purely subjective term advanced by my opponent to describe his "world view"

Secondly, have you ever considered the fact that there may be gay pornography viewed by both men and women alike? Does this degrade the man also?

iv) "porno sets standards for sex" - so what? How are the standards set by porno by any means ridiculous? What does ridiculous exactly mean?
Does sex education class in college promote standards too? I mean they basically force condoms on you.

3) There is no bright line - my opponent's definition of pornography can encompass basically anything that has to do with sex. Does this mean I can't use the number 69 in my math homework? Does it mean that anything vaguely resembling a phallic symbol (i.e Washington Monument) should be banned? There is no clear point between what is sexually explicit and not explicit. Thus, this form of censorship is logically impossible to put through.

4) Most importantly, my opponent has not given evidence that actual physical harm has been attributed to the widespread availability of porn.

5) Censorship is unjustified – censorship, in any form, is unjustified when there is no obvious threat to society.

6) Banning something will make it even more popular - Just like banning alcohol for under 21s made it more popular among teen social groups (i.e frats in college), banning pornography will only promote its attractiveness

7) The right to view pornography is a right guaranteed by the First Amendment, and reinforced multiple times by the Supreme Court.

The First Amendment guarantees the right to view pornographic speech. Furthermore, the Supreme Court has advanced the right to view sexually explicit materials in the Following cases: all from (http://www.nap.edu...):

Ginsberg vs. New York
Roth vs. United States
Miller vs. United States

All of these cases guaranteed the existence of sexually explicit material in society (with certain restrictions, i.e Miller Test). To ban pornography in the manner my opponent advocated would be to curtail the freedom of speech and curb our civil liberties.

8) My opponent is supporting a very serious policy with almost farcical evidence. Generalizing statements such as "porno is perverted" and "porno degrades women" need massive amounts of evidence to support it. My opponent has 0 EVIDENCE that support his points, and since the burden of proof is on him, he has to give EVIDENCE to support his point.
Debateuhbull

Pro

Debateuhbull forfeited this round.
alvinthegreat

Con

Let me reiterate my main point: My opponent is viewing the issue of pornography in his own framework of morality/immorality and decency/indecency. However, his framework/paradigm does not apply to everyone, and thus, in order for his points to be valid, he needs to give a preponderance of evidence in order to demonstrate his point; however, he has not done so.

Until he demonstrates that the harms of Pornography is somehow worth imposing a strict social and moral restriction on Society, you should vote neg due to the fact that the affirmative has the burden of proof.
Debateuhbull

Pro

Debateuhbull forfeited this round.
alvinthegreat

Con

alvinthegreat forfeited this round.
Posted by joe.obenberger 2 years ago
joe.obenberger
http://www.xxxlaw.com.... This page contains many, many resources that would enlighten these issues, from all of the federal statutes to more than 100 leading cases on the regulation of pornography.
Posted by JTHunter 3 years ago
JTHunter
Should be illegal. it's not even regulated.

I'll tell you one thing, there would be alot more jobs in America.
Posted by JTHunter 3 years ago
JTHunter
internet porn should be illegal. There are still people that believe in doing the right thing.
Posted by Lithobolos 6 years ago
Lithobolos
OH and just because you don't like it snicker_911 does not mean it should be against the law. I hate Hanna Montana but I don't think it should be illegal.
Posted by Lithobolos 6 years ago
Lithobolos
Pro's argument was shutdown so well he never came back.

Con wins hands down.
Posted by A_time_and_a_place 6 years ago
A_time_and_a_place
This is why who voted what should be made public. This is a debate site, if they disagree they should be liable to explain why.

Inherently a lot of people on both sides of a debate wont have their minds changed no matter how clearly you win the argument.

Make them public, then we'll see who is and isn't smart enough to make up their mind with logic and facts.
Posted by alvinthegreat 6 years ago
alvinthegreat
Oops, made several spelling and gramatical mistakes in my argument, please excuse my poor english

ps: how is Pro winning????
Posted by PoeJoe 6 years ago
PoeJoe
Woa... how is PRO in anyway winning right now?
Posted by PoeJoe 6 years ago
PoeJoe
I was looking forward to this debate too... oh well.
Posted by s0m31john 6 years ago
s0m31john
snicker_911 You don't vote based on what you believe, but for who was the better debater. Con provided sources for his claims where as none of pro's argument was back up with any sources.
Vote Placed by SuperRobotWars 4 years ago
SuperRobotWars
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by kristoffersayshi 5 years ago
kristoffersayshi
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by emailaddkuh15 6 years ago
emailaddkuh15
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by Cauzmo 6 years ago
Cauzmo
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by olivertheexpando 6 years ago
olivertheexpando
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by Killer542 6 years ago
Killer542
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by J.ADAMS 6 years ago
J.ADAMS
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by Mattowander 6 years ago
Mattowander
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by JT 6 years ago
JT
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied
Vote Placed by CP 6 years ago
CP
DebateuhbullalvinthegreatTied