Zhonginator
Jevinigh

That space research should be eliminated.

Jevinigh

Zhonginator

Pro

First round acceptance only
Jevinigh

Con

Zhonginator

Pro

I would like to first point out that Space research is far too costly to pursue and therefore it should be eliminated.
Countries waste huge amounts of money that could be better spent on other areas such as health, education and areas full of poverty. In 2015 NASA's spending budget was around 17.5 Billion dollars! That's just one of many space research companies.

Also In the last few years, nothing ground breaking has been achieved, so little for so much money. Sure, in the long run this might be useful, but we simply cannot justify continued space exploration and expenditure of our resources where there are countless other immediate issues. People are suffering from current issues such as crime, disease, malnutrition and not to mention financial issues. These people aren't helped at all by space exploration and the whole point of it is to help people but it really doesn't do that at all.
Jevinigh

Con

You brush it off so readily, but "space research" includes the greater and more economical deployment of Satellites, on which a great deal of things rely Internet,and most international telecoms not being the least of which. Huge amounts of sustainable agriculture work is done by NASA[1], Progress in aeronautics is made in leaps and bounds by nasa, the X-47[2] which was the proof of concept for the coming generation of blended wing commercial aircraft. NASA spending also represents a drop in the bucket of actual federal spending. 17.5 Billion dollars is less than the USAF spent developing a single fighter jet, the F-35 with a 1.3 Trillion Dollar Program cost.[3] ( that is arguably sub par)[4] So besides bettering Satellite systems ( with out which modern life would cease very quickly), Besides bettering agriculture in pursuit of self sustaining colonies, Besides bettering aeronautic sciences in pursuit of better space planes. Oh, and,besides heavily supporting science education.[5] I guess NASA doesn't really do all the much...

[1] http://www.nasa.gov...
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://www.debate.org...
[5] http://www.nasa.gov...
Zhonginator

Pro

First I'd like to talk about what you said about how, "space research includes the greater and more economical deployment of Satellites." The definition of Space research is: scientific studies carried out using scientific equipment in outer space. It doesn't include deploying satellites as those are for, as you have stated "Internet, and most international telecoms". Sure these Satellites play a vital role in today's society but this doesn't count as "space research" as we are not learning anything new as the satellites aren't carrying out scientific studies.

Now I would also like to point out that there are too many unforeseen risks for space research to be a justifiable expenditure of our resources. Take the Mars Climate Arbiter which crash landed on Mars, that was 120 million dollars and years of innovation, funding and waiting all gone in an instant. What about the Challenger and it's seven crew? Space Research is far too dangerous for the billions we spend on it.

Furthermore, it consumes natural resources. Our planet doesn't have an abundance of fossil fuels and we are wasting it on research that doesn't benefit us directly. Wouldn't it be much better to just use our resources to focus on where we live? Our planet. Shouldn't we try to stop Global warming from the burning of fossil fuels? Not wasting our time on space research which accelerates our current problem. Shouldn't we try to save our planet? Because if we don't save our planet, we won't be able to colonize other planets because we will all be equally extinct.
Jevinigh

Con

Pro began this debate by using too broad a term to turn around and attempt to narrow it, when it becomes convenient. The world has benefited immensely from Space research, as I demonstrated in the last round that the amount of money spent on the space program is a small amount compared to what what is spent on far less valuable programs, So to, are the resources we send out from the earth, infidecimal in relations to the resources our planet possess. The Number of lives too is quite low, For something so dangerous as space exploration NASA has lost only 18 astronauts in its entire 57( as of 2016) year history.

Our satellites are most definitely a part of space exploration, space research and advancement. So too do the Satellites we sent to other words greatly benefit our understanding of Earth and it's place and the dangers we face from the stars them selves can only be met by a Humanity is capable of space faring, for example, "space research" programs aimed at intercepting incoming meteors.

Zhonginator

Pro

Well done. You have convinced me. Vote con.
Jevinigh

Con

Thank you for the debate.
Posted by Jevinigh 1 year ago
Jevinigh
I had some stuff come up so I had to keep this round short.
Posted by Axonly 1 year ago
Axonly
Well, con is in for an easy debate.
Posted by Zhonginator 1 year ago
Zhonginator
Also, I skipped 2 grades and have a scholarship so... I'll write my own paper thank you.
Posted by Zhonginator 1 year ago
Zhonginator
I'm just bored and I searched that topic up randomly because I'm bored and want to talk about something interesting.
Posted by Jevinigh 1 year ago
Jevinigh
really? ... Are you really interested in arguing this or do you want some one to write a paper for one of your classes for you?
Vote Placed by ColeTrain 1 year ago
ColeTrain
ZhonginatorJevinighTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession by Pro, Con wins by default -- Pro gets conduct for the gracious concession.
Vote Placed by Hayd 1 year ago
Hayd
ZhonginatorJevinighTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes, thus arguments to Con.