sunnyau
prorobotics

That test scores a good indication of a student's competency

sunnyau

sunnyau

Con

Motion:That test scores a good indication of a student's competency.

Round 1:Acceptance

Round 2-3: Points

Round 4: Conclusion.No restriction on new points.

Good Luck!
sunnyau

Con

Dear ladies and gentlemen, test scores is not the better indicator to assess a student. To begin the debate, I'll firstly define the words.

"test" means that for anyway of discovering, by questions or practical activities, what someone knows, or what someone or something can do or is like.

"Indication" means a sign for something that's true.

Test scores are not the better indicator to assess a student. I'll explain that test is harmful to students in its own, but still do not reflect the student's work in this post, and give some examples not using test scores to assess a student in the second post. I'll conclude the debate in the third post.

Test scores do not reflect how a student performs. According to Fairtest, the problem of multiple choice test is "students do superficial question, which rewards students for a quick answer, but do not measure the ability to think deeply or creatively in any field. It also encourages a narrowed curriculum, outdated methods of instruction, and harmful practices such as grade retention and tracking"(Fairtest). Also, essay type question rewards students with a higher level of writing skill over the ones do not, thus test cannot actually reflect a student's performance. Also, these scores can be easily altered, according to USA TODAY research, a Washington school is being scrutinised because of the allegations that the school altered the answers to the test. This is also a problem that shows tests scores do not represent how students performs.

Tests is making the study scope smaller.According to Patrick Ledesma, these tests are making the teacher "narrows the curriculum", and "fails to measure higher level thinking such as creativity"(Patrick Ledesma). This is also a side-effect of tests, making the ones who just remember the whole curriculum but is not creative wins the tests.

We have some alternative to tests.We can have some series of quizzes instead of a high-stake test, and presentation can also be the alternative to tests. Dear opponent, if you cannot explain that tests is a better indication than the alternatives listed above, then this motion must fall.

Test scores are not the better indicator to assess a student.This motion must fall.Thank You!

http://fairtest.org...;
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...
http://blogs.edweek.org...;
prorobotics

Pro

A test is used to define a student's learning ability. By looking at the scores, it can help a teacher monitor the student's progress and make it much easier to teach that particular student.
sunnyau

Con

Dear ladies and gentlemen, test score is not the better indicator to assess a student.Before I continue the debate, let me make some rebuttals.

Rebuttal 1: My dear opponent has stated that tests are helpful to monitor a student's progress. I agree that test is an indication of a student, but is not the best one clearly. Tests make students "feel an inordinate amount of pressure to be successful on tests"(Alicia Anthony) and makes students learn just because of the pressure it gives to students.

Now back to my topic. Test score is not the better indicator to assess a student. As tests give too much pressure and too much expectation, alternatives to tests had been rising. For example, some schools have been instructing teachers to take the presentation test, which is testing the knowledge of the students via doing a presentation. This can make the testing not being too simplistic while not subjective. Also, there are schools that test students by doing a research on the scope taught. These are better that test to test the ability of the students.

We have some alternative to tests. Dear opponent, if you cannot show that tests are better then the examples I mentioned above, then this motion must fall.

Test score is not the better indicator to assess a student. This motion must fall. Thank You!

1.http://everydaylife.globalpost.com...
prorobotics

Pro

If that is so, then what is the absolute BEST way to define a student's learning ability? huh
sunnyau

Con

Test score is not the better indicator to assess a student. Before I conclude my debate, let me make some rebuttals.

Rebuttal #1: We don't need to show that what type of way is the absolute best one. You cannot show me that the alternatives to tests are better than tests itself, so this motion must fall.

Now back to my case. Test score is not the better indicator to assess a student. Tests give too much pressure and too much expectation to students and making the study scope smaller.Test scores do not reflect how a student performs.Thus,test score is not the better indicator to assess a student and the motion must fall.

Dear opponent, you didn't explain that tests is a better indication than the alternatives above, thus this motion must fall.

Voters, please account that
1. My opponent had not answered that tests is a better indicator than the alternatives to tests.

prorobotics

Pro

A test does not provide much pressure if you are like an A student. It instead is like a little challenge every once in a while to assess your learning ability. I still remain my stand saying that tests CAN define a student;s learning ability
Vote Placed by TheResistance 11 months ago
TheResistance
sunnyauproroboticsTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had strong arguments and backed it up with evidence. Pro only made a logical claim and didn't back it up. Con had his whole case still standing as Pro didn't really attack it at all.Good job @prorobotics and @sunnyau