Ziang
lord_megatron

That the Olympics are overrated.

lord_megatron
Started: 5/18/2016 Category: Games

Ziang

Pro

Welcome, ladies and gentleman. I feel sad sometimes because I think our modern world has corrupted the intent behind the Olympic games. It used to be a time when the best athletes in the world got together and were celebrated for being the best. However, in this day and age of performance-enhancing drugs, and professional athletes competing against people whose only training is running on the dirt road outside their village, a feeling of corruption surrounds the event. So, the topic for today"s debate is that the Olympics are overrated. As an affirmative speaker, I will be commenting on the fact that Olympic games attributes to traffic problems and pollution. And my second point is that athletes who take drugs have a negative effect on other people.
lord_megatron

Con

Firstly, we aren't debating if SPORTS is overrated or not. We will debate whether Olympics are overrated or not. I say no, as they are the biggest sports event that happens in years. In which other event have you seen so many athletes of different sports uniting to compete?
As for drug-enhancers, it is hard to smuggle drugs as it is, and if the authorities detect it you are disqualified. And this can happen in any sports event expect the Olympics.
Surely you don't mean to discriminate over the rich (professional) and the poor (dirt road runner) athletes? A dirt road runner has ran on uneven roads, without proper equipment for their entire life. Surely professionals with all their luxury would have tough competition with them. A thief would be the best athlete, and you can't blame corruption for that.
Traffic problems and pollution are caused by any grand event, whether it be a music concert, opening of a new mall, or the cricket world cup. Doesn't mean that the event isn't good.
I haven't saw the Olympics and I am not into sports, but it is a grand sports event and requires viewing for all athletic fans.
Ziang

Pro

When you have 190 million people visiting one small, confined area all at the same time, serious pollution and traffic issues arise. First of all, the traffic will be congested. With human traffic, we see dangers, resulting in gigantic waiting times for not only tourists, but also residents, which seems hardly fair to me. This can possibly be fixed by improvements in infrastructure and public transportation BEFORE the games, but that will clearly bump up prep costs by big numbers, making a virtual loose situation for all. Furthermore, the cars also cause air and noise pollution. In terms of air pollution, all of these cars pose legitimate carbon emission threats considering they can be on for hours and hours during commutes. Not only that, but the emissions can stay in the air for months, risking the cardiac and pulmonary health of all inhabitants. In terms of noise pollution, thousands cars travelling to and from the Olympic games at any one time could affect the all the residents in that area. This could lead to insomnia and other illnesses which is unfair to the habitants because they did nothing wrong and do not deserve this. Altogether, the Olympic is certainly overrated.

Secondly, athletes who take drugs have a negative effect on other people, especially children. When you look at the messages that is give young people about drugs they are usually negative, warning about the potential risks associated with their use. Drugs destroy lives " people who use them lose their jobs, their families and are very unhealthy not to mention illegal. This just doesn"t match up to what is seen when they see a story on an athlete telling all on a TV chat show, or a famous sportsman who has been caught doing the 'wrong thing'. Mixed messages are extremely dangerous when it comes to providing drug information to young people. They learn when a consistent message is given to them and unfortunately celebrity drug use, particularly the way it is represented in the media, often contradicts everything they are taught by everyone else. Although many would imagine that stories of famous people using drugs and experiencing a range of problems would discourage teenagers from going down the same path, in fact, in many cases just the opposite happens. Unfortunately, the only message that some young people pick up is that these athletes have 'made it through to the other side' and continue to lead very glamorous and successful lives.
lord_megatron

Con

As for the traffic problem, I will say it once more, that doesn't make the event overrated. With that definition, any event involving too many people would be overrated, such as award functions, concerts, speeches, political rallies, revolutions even. Traffic is an issue that comes with any grand event, although I didn't know 190 million people visit the Olympics. Do you have a source or something?
And for your claimed drug usage, tell me one athlete who uses illegal drugs, there is hard evidence to prove that he does and still hasn't been caught. Parents often control what their children watch, therefore drug interviews won't reach them. And children are not like sponges. More often than not, the reporter gives some information about how drug usage is bad after the interview. If you think they would easily follow the footsteps of the celebrities, why won't they listen to their parents and drug enforcement agencies? Children are NOT retarded.
And Sherlock Holmes took cocaine, but I don't see Holmes' fans taking cocaine. Holmes counts as a celebrity.
Olympics seems a good event. The music, the anticipation, the visuals; and on top of that a platform to give credits to talented sportspersons. It is a platform for nations to show-off their sports' pride. Olympics has so many events, if there was no olympics what would happen to these athletic fields? Long Jump, Javelin throw, discuss, these platforms don't have many fans, how would their athletes show their mettle?
Ziang

Pro

In conclusion, I have proven to you that the Olympic game is overrated because it attributes to traffic problems and pollution and athletes who take drugs have a negative effect on the society. The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part but the modern world athletes had put their focus onto winning and left the rules behind.
lord_megatron

Con

Basically, pro hasn't rebutted any of my arguments for his own reasons. I state the olympics are not overrated as they are the greatest sporting event of all time, have no evidence of drug usage, and no evident corruption. I already stated traffic problems come due to any event, but pro doesn't counter. I state that how can pro prove corruption has grown in the corruption, but pro doesn't counter. I asked for pro's source as to 190 million being associated with olympics, there is no source. Therefore I think you must vote for con.
Posted by socks_are_bad 1 year ago
socks_are_bad
screw you
Vote Placed by Udel 11 months ago
Udel
Zianglord_megatronTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con says the Olympics are the biggest sporting events every 4 years and despite the problems (drugs, pollution, economic impact) they still bring people together for a good cause. Pro argues that the traffic and pollution are not worth it. He says there is noise pollution too and the athletes are bad role models for kids when they do drugs. Con says a lot of things have traffic and noise, are they all overrated? Pro has to prove yes. And Con says drug taking is exaggerated and not that bad. In the last round they just repeat their arguments and sound like the same person writing both sides because they just repeat themselves. Con's arguments are not that great but Pro did not respond to them such as whether all things with traffic and noise are overrated. Pro also did not respond to Con's questions on why drug use is definitely bad. I will give points to Con I guess since Pro did not answer Con or fulfill his burden since he dropped Con's rebuttals.