VanillaCream
ImJustChewbacca

That the drinking age should be eliminated

VanillaCream

Pro

I am for the abolishment of the drinking age because it would cause a decrease the amount of crime. I recently embarked on a trip to Italy and encountered a much lower and less strict drinking age. The kids at some of the restaurants were drinking glasses of wine and they were under the drinking age of 16. With no law the teens and others didn't feel the need to rebel and just drank occasionally just for the fun. Countries like these had much less trouble with underage drinking due to the abolishment of the drinking law. From an argument by John A. Captillan, he says that people in countries have 24% less crimes involving the consumption of alcohol due to the less drinking age.
ImJustChewbacca

Con

If the standard age to buy/drink alcohol was lowered, or taken away I know that it would not be a positive outcome. Kids that are under the age of 21 still have a lot to mature and learn to become a responsible adult. IF kids younger then 21 could get their hands on alcohol I believe that it would result in more drinking and driving accidents, which already occur everyday, when the age of 21 is legal to buy alcohol, and drink it. Kids would be immature with the access to this substance that will completely alter the mind. If we do change the drinking age then more innocent people will loose their lives in not just driving, but also obtaining to much alcohol and thinking they are fine to do things that need to be done, sober.
VanillaCream

Pro

The drinking age should be eliminated because alcohol is indeed dangerous and can cause accidents but it would not just be the youth of our nation being involved in the accidents. An 18-year-old can join the military to fight and possibly die for his country, but he can"t drink a beer to celebrate his send-off. One can get drug prescriptions " even an abortion " before the 21st birthday. Just because a select few wouldn't be able to act mature about drinking alcohol but I strongly believe that the vast majority would not abuse the consumption of alcohol.
ImJustChewbacca

Con

I don't think that 18 year old men/women that are going into the armed forces, really need to celebrate with "a beer" they should celebrate with there families. Alcohol isn't a drink that people should use just to party with, yes there comes a time and place for this but kids don't need to be able to have these kinds of substances. Drinking comes with responsibility, and most kids in our country lack that. They would be coming to school drunk, or sports events drunk because they can access alcohol. Again, responsibility comes with drinking, and kids would not know when and where the time is right to crack open a beer.
VanillaCream

Pro

Where is the right time then Joey? Are you telling me a person is going over seas to risk his life for our country isn't a good enough reason to drink alcohol. Also you are speaking for the entire youth saying they all would come in and do all the wrong things. You have no proof to say these kids are not mature enough consume alcohol. Your entire argument has no logic
ImJustChewbacca

Con

I'm not saying that if a person is going to go across seas to fight for our country, they shouldn't be able to drink, Jacob. I'm saying that people don't need just alcohol as a celebration method. Adults know when is a time for celebration or to congratulate someone, or something, but MOST kids would misuse it because if the age is lowered then i believe that more kids would go out and buy much more then they needed just because they can now. I'm not putting kids/teens down in this debate. I'm just simply showing my opinion, because I know that if the ability to get your drivers license was lowered, more kids would go out and get them. even if they weren't ready to be behind the wheel of a car where everyday that they drive they are risking not only their own lives, but also everyone else on the roads. Same thing would apply for drinking.
Posted by DatAzian 3 years ago
DatAzian
Everybody needs maturing. You got vetz who are 60-70 years old that act like a buncha assholzz. So if everybody drinks then we can all be on a progressive move to being equally stupid. Crime rate would go down. Everybody wins. Plus population control would be better with the lack black gorillas going around killing each other.
Posted by LAQUAINE 3 years ago
LAQUAINE
Well duh, when a crime is legalized then crime goes down. It makes sense. Legalize the whole damned list of crimes and the crime rate becomes zero. So yeah, crime goes down you kumquat.
Posted by Pletcher 3 years ago
Pletcher
Interesting argument to compare to Europe. It makes me wonder what kind of driving restrictions are present in Europe and how the lower drinking age may or may not contribute to drinking and driving accidents.