That the soccer team Chelsea are better than the soccer team Barcelona in the 2011/2012 season

Started: 2/27/2013 Category: Sports

Good Morning the world/viewers, before I start I would like to give my opponent good luck in this debate. I would like to make a huge point that Chelsea Football Club were much better than Barcelona in the 2011/2012 season as they were Champions League Winners, FA Cup winners and came 4th overall on the Barclay's Premier League table in that season. Therefore they won 2 of the 3 main tournaments in that year.

Firstly, Chelsea won the Champions league which is thought to be the "one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world and the most prestigious club competition in European football." The final was Chelsea vs Bayern Munich as Chelsea took out Barcelona 3-2 on Aggregate the round before, making them better than Barcelona once again.The final of the 2011 tournament was also "the most-watched UEFA Champions League final to date, as well as the most watched annual sporting event worldwide that year, drawing 178.7 million television viewers." This shows that both clubs have a high popularity rate throughout the whole world.

My second argument is that Chelsea were FA cup winners in that same year as well. Making them the best club in English football. English football is also the hardest football played by clubs all around the world. Many clubs like Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester City play in these competitions. These clubs are the most dedicated football clubs in the world. I could hardly name any Spanish League teams, I think I can only name two: Real Madrid and Barcelona. Making Chelsea better again in the 2011/2012 season.

In conclusion, Chelsea were a better club than Barcelona in the 2011/2012 season because they won the "most prestigious football title in the world," the champions league and they were FA cup champions.
Thank you

Good morning to the viewers and adjudicators of this debate. The season of 2011/12 for Chelsea and Barcelona, were very connected as they faced each other in the "most prestigious club competition in European football" also known as the UEFA Champions League. FC Barcelona and Chelsea FC, played in three major competitions each, a domestic cup, a league, and the UEFA Champions League. FC Barcelona were able to win their domestic cup, reached 2nd in La Liga with an astounding 91 points, and reaching the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League. Chelsea on the other hand won their domestic cup, reached 6th in the Barclay's Premier League with an average 60 points, and winning the UEFA Champions League. This seems to claim that Chelsea FC, had a better season than FC Barcelona, quite the contrary.

Firstly the domestic cup of the Copa Del Rey, and the FA cup were a very different experience for the two teams. The teams Barcelona and Chelsea played against were very different in skill level. Barcelona's journey to victory was marred by facing very challenging teams such as Real Madrid, Valencia, and Athletic Bilbao. They proved to be a very difficult challenge, however Barcelona triumphed over them. My opponent has spoken of all the "great teams" in England such as Manchester United, Manchester City and Arsenal. None of those three teams faced Chelsea in the FA Cup. Manchester City was knocked out of the Cup by United, United were knocked out by Arsenal, and Arsenal were knocked out by Everton. Chelsea's FA Cup journey featured the teams, Portsmouth, QPR, Birmingham, Leicester City, Tottenham and Liverpool, none of which were in the "great teams" class mentioned by my opponent. As Barcelona's journey to the Cup was much more difficult, they so far, look the better team.

Secondly, the Premier League and La Liga. The two leagues feature great competition over 38 matches with the team with the most points after 38 games, being crowned champion. As stated previously Barcelona came 2nd under Real Madrid, who broke the La Liga all time record for 100 points in a season. Chelsea on the other hand got a very mediocre standing, coming 6th on the ladder with a mediocre 60 points, well under the "great teams." Under normal circumstances, they would not have even secured a place in the "most prestigious club competition in European football", the Champions League. Clearly Barcelona's League season was much more successful than Chelsea's.

However in the case of the Champions League, Barcelona were extremely unfortunate on many occasions, whilst Chelsea were granted lucky break after lucky break in a never ending stream. Barcelona started very well in the tournament easing through the group stage, first round and round of 16. Then it came time for the semi finals. They were drawn against Chelsea and the first leg at Stamford Bridge was a game with complete Barcelona dominance. Unfortunately, a wayward goal scored by Drogba gifted Chelsea the win 1-0. The return Leg at the Camp Nou in Barcelona ended in one of the most unjust circumstances ever. A 2-2 draw ending with a rare phenomenon that season, a Fernando Torres goal. In the two legs combined the stats combined to this: Barcelona, 81% possession, 47 shots, 12 of which were on target. Chelsea, 19% possession, 11 shots 4 of which were on target. Chelsea's negative football of 11 man defending triumphed against Barcelona's positive football. Therefore this means Barcelona were the better team due to their use of positive football making them a better team.

Through all the evidence of how each team played their football and their results of their efforts to succeed, I hope the jury of can grasp all the evidence presented for the unreliability of my opponents information, as well as that despite Chelsea's Champions league win, Barcelona had a wider success rate as at the start of the season, Barcelona won a Spanish Supercopa. Their wider range of success and positive results clearly outshine the singular, disjointed, and altogether luck enhanced victories, were not superior to Barcelona's more consistent and wider success.

Good Morning again to the many of you on I think along with many others that the soccer team Chelsea were better than the soccer team Barcelona in the 2011/2012 season because they had a very extensive range and level of players and Chelsea were runners up in the FIFA Club world cup (which is an international tournament for only the best clubs in the world). But before I begin, I must point out several flaws in the oppositions case. Firstly, he said that "none of the great teams in England faced Chelsea on their road to victory in the FA cup." This is absolutely incorrect as out of the five great teams I named two of them faced Chelsea in the semi-final and grand final of the FA Cup. These two teams were Liverpool and Tottenham. Secondly, Athletic Bilbao isn't even a challenging team, and Valencia is hardly a challenge either. Athletic Bilbao only came 16th in their La Liga season out of the possible 20. If he says that this is a challenging side, then I can say that Birmingham and QPR and great sides to therefore Chelsea 2011/2012 season was more challenging and successful. Thirdly, my opponent said that "Fernando Torres had a rare phenomenon of a goal scored in the 2-2 draw against Barcelona." This is incorrect as the only reason he scored a few amount of goals in the season was because he was on the bench, but the games he started in he scored. And Finally my opponent said that Chelsea played terrible football in the second leg of the Champions League against Barcelona. This is incorrect once again as the Chelsea manager decided to play very defensive football in the match. This plan succeeded as they achieved a 2-2 draw because of skillfully played counter attacks and defense. Now to my arguments.

Firstly Chelsea had an extensive range of talent and players. These players included Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard (known to be one of the greatest Midfielders of all time), John Terry (former England Captain), John Obi Mikel, Ivanovic, Petr Cech (one of the best Goal Keepers in the world and captain of Czech Republic), Ashley Cole (known to be one of the greatest Left Backs of all time), David Luiz, Ramires (star of Brazilian Football), Fernando Torres (scored the winning goal for Spain in the 2008 Euro Final), Juan Mata (2012 player of the season for Chelsea), Oscar (rising star and promising talent) and Florent Malouda (all time great French Left Midfielder). As you can see Chelsea's talent and skill are in all areas on the field. Therefore the team worked well together in the 2011/2012 season, this is how their success was outstanding.

Finally, Chelsea were runners up in the FIFA Club world cup (which is an international tournament for only the best clubs in the world). This exclusive tournament is for the greatest football clubs in the world. Barcelona played in the 2012 tournament but lost in the quarter finals to Sevilla. Where as Chelsea were Silver Medalists adding another piece of silverware to their successful season. Therefore proving that they are one of the greatest clubs in the world.

In conclusion, Chelsea have shown to be an elite team in the 2011/2012 season. This is because they have a very extensive range of star players and talent including Frank Lampard and Juan Mata. They were also the runners up in the FIFA Club World Cup adding another piece of silverwear to their collection as they played amazing football. In Conclusion the soccer team Chelsea are better than the soccer team Barcelona in the 2011/2012 season.

I can't be bothered you win.
Posted by Bitemenow 3 years ago
They won the champions league by playing ugly football. They stuck 10 people in the box and hoped the best team in the world (Barcelona) wouldn't score! They for lucky that Torres the man who couldn't score did. Barcelona played beautiful football and thoroughly dominated every team they played through possession. They have Lionel Messi also and he is the best player in the world, hands down.
Posted by Vdesai123 3 years ago
Same here
Posted by jussy333 3 years ago
I think that this debate will be a close one