samiam96
boredinclass

That we are slaves to conformity

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

samiam96

Con

I am a student debater, am ready for a challenge. As per normal debate rules i will let the affirmative present their case first.
boredinclass

Pro

Alright-just so you know on this sight- the instigator has Burdon of proof. But I will define some key terms

slave-One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

conformity-Action or behavior in correspondence with socially accepted standards, conventions, rules, or laws:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com...

We will start debating next round with you as the instigator providing your first contention
samiam96

Con

Oh sorry, at school we normally have the affirmative as the first to present their case, if I make any other basic mistakes like that please do tell me because this is my first debate on the net...nonetheless we have a debate to debate...
Firstly I would like to agree to the definition, however for the purpose of simplicity, I would like to present a synonymic "average Joe" definition, being that society today worships, serves and acts in a way that is consistent with social norms, standards and conventions. This included things like fashion, public opinion etc...

Today my burden is to prove that society today is a slave to conformity
My first two points that I will be discussing this round are:
1. Accepting diversity and rejecting discrimination.
2. Individuality
My next two points in the third round will be:
3. The death of the stereotype
4. Following and appreciating trends
Finally in the fourth round I will be expanding on:
5. Expectations
6. We were afraid, so we conformed.

Trends exist, but we no longer conform.

Society has progressed from the hateful chaos that was discrimination. Yes discrimination is still existent, however not to the degree or size that it was before. Our world has realised that differences are a part of life, and that they shape our character, culture and personal identity. In the past, society was rejecting of diversity and conformity reigned, however today we have a different set of values, we realise that discrimination is not acceptable and differences are. For example, could you imagine, even as recent as 50 years ago, the uproar if someone was to suggest that gay marriage should be legalised. Being just a little bit different was frowned upon, but we can see today, with the openness of gays, that that is a false allegation about reality. The reality is that we have moved on, society has progressed to be accepting of other cultures, religions, appearances, races, sexualities, and even gender. Conforming to a social expectation...I think not.

Trends exist, but we no longer conform.

2. Individuality
As society has become more accommodating to differences and personal traits, the development of the concept of individuality is flourishing. People are developing their personalities, so who they appear to be is who they actually are, not what they want to be. We are in a time of change, of spiritual growth, we have no reason to want to conform as not conforming is acceptable. "There is nothing wrong with loving who you are, she said, 'coz he made you perfect babe", "Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like your nothing, your p-p-perfect to me", "Because your amazing, just the way you are..." Yes they may all be song lyrics, but we can tell from the pop culture that surrounds modern society that people know that being an individual is a good thing. Pop culture reflects on society, so therefore the meanings behind the songs are true opinions and themes in our modern world. Being an individual is trendy, and we follow the trend of being individual. No I did not just contradict my argument because following a trend is not being a slave, and because individuality, by it's very definition means to be unique, and one of a kind.

Trends exist, but we no longer conform.
boredinclass

Pro

boredinclass forfeited this round.
samiam96

Con

Is there a point me continuing? I really wanted to hear the other side of this topic, but I completely understand if there was a reason you couldn't post a reply. Comment if you want me to continue my points.
boredinclass

Pro

boredinclass forfeited this round.
samiam96

Con

samiam96 forfeited this round.
boredinclass

Pro

boredinclass forfeited this round.
samiam96

Con

oh...I see how it is...
boredinclass

Pro

boredinclass forfeited this round.
Posted by samiam96 5 years ago
samiam96
amen
Posted by i8JoMomma 5 years ago
i8JoMomma
we are slaves to this corrupt government of tea bags
Posted by samiam96 5 years ago
samiam96
Yeh title explains it all!!
If anyone wants to comment a pro case i will debate, i hate having an opponent forfeit rounds on me.
Posted by askbob 5 years ago
askbob
Oh god the spelling. Learn to use the spell checker boredinclass. It's atrocious.
Posted by Phoenix_Reaper 5 years ago
Phoenix_Reaper
Title explains all I guess?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
samiam96boredinclassTied