purplepurple
Mysterio

The Acts that England Passed were Fair

purplepurple

Pro

There seems to be quite a lot of controversy when discussing the matter of the Parliament passing the "Acts", such as the Stamp Act and the Tea Act. I have heard the same old story of how the acts were unfair, from the colonists' side. However, what I view to be missing here, is the British government's side of the event. These acts were all imposed and passed for reasons, whether the colonists "thought" it was unfair or not. I also find it extremely disturbing, when they talk about how acts were foul, while they held themselves responsible for absolutely nothing.

I recall mentioning before, that the Acts were not just randomly passed, but had meaning it each and every one of them. The British had recently won the French and Indian War, which was over the land in North America. However, the victory did not last long. It didn't keep them protected from the consequences of winning, and yes, there were certain consequences. First off, it left them devastatingly poor, regarding the fact that the war had doubled the amount of debt they were in. They found that the only way of restoring their economic situation, was unfortunately to raise the amount of tax they collected from their citizens. The British were justified in passing these acts.

Also, it is completely right, in every way, for a country to tax its people, as well as enforce its laws. Colonial America, being that they indirectly "belong" to England, would definitely make them British citizens. It is obvious for its people to help support its country when they are struggling from certain losses. It was not "unfair" in any way, especially regarding that they were, in fact, taxed way less than the people living in England were. Nonetheless, they decided to shout "NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.". I find the colonists were actually those who were being selfish, and that the acts that England passed, were definitely fair.
Mysterio

Con

It was unfair because high taxes like that was killing us. The britons were not nice and they want to make life hard for americans and take there freedom.
purplepurple

Pro

The arguments that my opponent here has come up with, is that:
1. The high taxes were killing them
2. The British were not "nice" and they wanted to make life hard for Americans and take their freedom.

First, their first argument did not even stand as an argument, because it simply did not make sense. How were these taxes killing the colonists and what, may I ask, does that have anything to do with being unfair? I fear that the Opposition side has misinterpreted the definition and what "unfair" truly means, and in that case, I recommend the use of a dictionary.

Their second argument was something about the British being "not nice", and wanting to make their life harder. Wanting to make their life harder? This just proves how ignorant and uneducated my opponent is about this topic, for they obviously were completely unaware of the fact that the colonists were actually taxed LESS than the British citizens living in England. They actually truly believed, that they were doing a good job, choosing what was best for the colonies in America. In that case then, you may not hold the British responsible for the things that appear to be so called "unfair".

VOTE PRO.
Mysterio

Con

Mysterio forfeited this round.
purplepurple

Pro

Please don't forfeit... It's losing all the fun.
Your turn.
Mysterio

Con

Mysterio forfeited this round.
Posted by Kethen 5 years ago
Kethen
I would argue this but the point isn't whether or not they were unfair. The point at the time was that the people didn't feel like it was and when the majority of people feel it is unfair and that the government is not doing their job then the people have the right to revolt. Whether or not it was fair or unfair is irrelevant.