batmanisbetter
emurr18

The Amazing Spiderman 2

Started: 5/14/2014 Category: Movies

batmanisbetter

Con

Opening Argument:

The Secret Life of an American Superhero
If you are a teenage girl, Twilight fan, or both, you would probably enjoy this soap opera of a movie that is The Amazing Spiderman 2. I compare this movie to the TV show on ABC Family, "The Secret Life of an American Teenager". I walked into the movie theater expecting to see an action packed superhero extravaganza and instead I got a two hour sob story from multiple characters. "Oh my father died" or "Oh my girlfriend died". Maybe if Petey kept his promise to Gwen's father she would still be alive. The two action scenes, the one at the beginning with the stolen Oscorp truck and the one at the end Electro vs. Spiderman, were alright although there were very cheezy effects. I mean can someone explain the electronic/dubstep song created by Electro as he struck those electric poles? Completely unnecessary. The only people who would enjoy this terribly executed movie are the teenage girl Twilight- fans. Emurr18 your opinion is way off. Top 5 worst movie of the year. It is hard to mess up a superhero movie but they did. Not even the sweet hair of Andrew Garfield could save this movie.
emurr18

Pro

Yes it was

I thought the Amazing Spiderman 2 was the best Spiderman movie that has ever been made. The way that it is directed puts it far and above all previous Spiderman movies, because it isn't just about senseless action, and the superhero himself. It has elements of almost every kind of movie genre that you can think of. The action scenes were remarkable, and the visual effects were second to none. Dane DeHaan in particular does a great job as Harry Osborn, as he shows Harry's gradual descent into rage and madness very vividly. Andrew Garfield finds the balance of humor, joy, and maturity he needs to fully realize himself as Spiderman. He did a tremendous job. Emma Stone was awesome as usual, and she and Garfield's chemistry is amazing. The ending was played out so well, and the scene showing Peter at Gwen's gravesite throughout every season is so poignant and sad. I loved every minute of this movie, and the only complaint I have is the music that Electro makes as he bounces Spiderman around on the energy towers. All in all, it was a masterpiece of a film, in my opinion.
batmanisbetter

Con

Rebuttle

I wouldn't classify it as senseless action either, because there was no action. It has movie elements of other genres yes, but not from the big blockbuster superhero movies we love. There is no comparison between the action in this movie and Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier, which was released previously this year. Captain America was leaps and bounds ahead of Spiderman. It was able to carry a good plot along with providing us with the heartpounding action we so desire. The worst thing that happens in New York in Spiderman 2 is all the lights go out. The lack of emminent threat really holds this movie back. There is no urgency to the plot and I felt it was stretched too far. I was really looking forward to a better executed movie.
emurr18

Pro

There is no way that you can say that there is a lack of eminent threat. Besides the fact that Electro can bring New York City to its knees, and besides the fact that the Green Goblin is a villain to be reckoned with in future films as well, Oscorp is a huge threat. They are a mega corporation that can do basically anything it wants, and it will create anything that will help it bring the world to its knees in the future. The villains in Amazing Spiderman 2 are just the tip of the iceberg, and it igves us a scary look at what certain companies might be doing in real life behind our backs. (Also, Spiderman's entire personal life is destroyed thanks to the villains, so I'd say that's pretty threatening.)
batmanisbetter

Con

batmanisbetter forfeited this round.
emurr18

Pro

emurr18 forfeited this round.
Posted by Jman0056 3 years ago
Jman0056
Agree with pro. Looking forward to voting. Also, apparently Andrew is british too... that just shows how good of an actor he is.