Branden
THEBOMB

The American Trade Embargo Against Cuba should be eliminated

THEBOMB

Branden

Pro

The first round is acceptance. In this round the con will argue why the trade embargo on Cuba should still be going. They will provide 3 points. My following argument will be me countering your points. The 3 points must be relevant to today's world, not the past.

The winner will win by providing the best argument while providing the best counter argument.

Best of luck!
THEBOMB

Con

Well I accept.

C1. The Cuban government is a totalitarian dictatorship which suppresses their own people.

The question I present for my opponent is why should the United States economically help a country, which has to vital strategic importance to the United States, which goes completely against the US's ideology? Cuba wants the United States to completely end our blockade but, in return they want to concede nothing. They will not relax their policy of oppressing their own people. So once again I ask, why should the United States end a blockade when doing so would result in strengthening an oppressive government? It is a matter of principle that we keep the blockade. It is the only leverage the United States holds to try and loosen the Cuban people from the yoke of this totalitarian regime.

C2. The economy is nationalized.

The Cuban economy is nationalized. So by ending this blockade it would result in money flowing into the Central government allowing Cuba to pursue their communist agenda abroad and oppress their own people's civil liberties. This police state of Cuba controls the lives of 11 million people. Why should the US contribute to this oppression by opening trade with Cuba?

C3. The Castros hate the United States. Ending a blockade would not solve this hate.

"Lifting the embargo won't normalize relations, but instead legitimize -- and wave the white flag to -- Fidel's 50-year fight against the Yanquis, further lionizing the dictator and encouraging the Latin American Left" (1). They are not going to end their policy of not liking the United States. Now let's take a step back. Cuba is very close to the Continental United States. If we open free relations with Cuba other countries might decide that since Cuba can help them let's become allies. Do you know what countries these include? China, Russia, and Iran. Iran would not hesitate to use the advantage that Cuba would bring to them militarily. They will send missiles to Cuba. Guess what country they'll be aimed at. The United States. By opening trade with Cuba the United States allows Cuba to modernize their infrastructure, allow them to build a more powerful military, and give Iran an incentive to want to create an alliance with Cuba.

Furthermore, with the resources gained from the end of the blockade, Cuba would team up with "rulers of nations like Venezuela, Nicaragua and Bolivia to advance socialism and anti-Americanism in the Western Hemisphere." How does this help the United States? It does not.

Giving in to "evil" only begets more evil.
Branden

Pro

Branden forfeited this round.
THEBOMB

Con

Extend arguments
Branden

Pro

Branden forfeited this round.
THEBOMB

Con

Extend extend extend
Branden

Pro

Branden forfeited this round.
THEBOMB

Con

Once again I say mr. extend.
Posted by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
I like this topic...but, is the first round just acceptance or am I making my contentions also?
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
BrandenTHEBOMBTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits...