nonprophet
Skynet

The American form of economics is just indentured servitude for the middle class

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner
Started: 5/2/2014 Category: Economics

nonprophet

Pro

First round is for acceptance only
Skynet

Con

nonprophet

Pro

The moment we are born, we are brainwashed into thinking we are supposed to be "productive citizens' and we're supposed to "contribute to society".

The very things we need to survive, we must work for.
Food, clothing, shelter, health care, transportation, etc, all costs money that we earn from working.

So, it becomes a vicious cycle of earn and spend to survive. It's designed so we only make enough to survive on and maybe save for retirement.
When all of the money we earn is used up for survival purposes, then that is what's called indentured servitude. We are only working to survive. It's a form of slavery. We work to pay the debt of the cost of living. There is no alternative. Work or die.

The top rich people, however don't contribute to society. They don't do anything that benefits mankind.
They don't do manual labor, they don't manufacture, invent, or produce anything.
The way they make money is through investments, tax loopholes, interest on money they already have, and the profits that other people's labor generates for them.

It's a scam set up by the rich to keep the middle class in bondage.

Skynet

Con

An indenture is a contract between two parties. I have an indenture to pay the bank for this house. Indentured servants in American history worked off a debt or in exchange for passage to the Colonies.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...

The indenture that Pro speaks of is the cost of survival. More food must be bought because we continually expend energy to live, our clothes, bodies, and shelters break down, and our cars use fuel. Those who we pay for goods and services are under the same "indenture," and so must also work.

The indenture Pro describes is not to a rich person, but to someone in the room with us right now. In fact, he's sitting right next to you! And he'll steal your last penny, the fillings from your teeth, the children from your arms, and the life from your bones! And that man is Mr. N. Tropy! You can't escape him, no matter how rich or poor.

To prove that it IS the rich's fault we have to work to survive, Pro should answer the following question in the negative. If he cannot convince the voters the answer is really NO, I win:

If you were the last person on Earth, (no more rich people or class distinctions) would you have to do any work to survive?
nonprophet

Pro

"If you were the last person on Earth, (no more rich people or class distinctions) would you have to do any work to survive?"

Of course not.
Shelter would be free.
Food would be free.
Transportation would be free.
Clothes would be free.

Everything I would need to survive would be free.

...and don't try to argue that I'd have to MAKE those things, since you asked, "If you were the last person on Earth"
not the first person before everything was made.

I proved the answer is "no"...

I guess that gives me the win....somehow I don't think you'll agree.

LOL
Skynet

Con

There you have it. If there were no more rich people or economic systems (i.e. you're the last person on Earth), Pro thinks no work would be required to survive. No gathering, no maintenance, no personal hygiene, no securing shelter from floods, no lighting fires to stay warm, no running from wild fires, no gathering of canned goods or fuel, no competition with rats and dogs and cockroaches, and no looking for clean water.

If you agree with Pro that removing all rich people and economic systems means an end to all entropy that requires any work to survive, vote Pro.

If you've ever camped by yourself, vote Con.
Posted by Skynet 2 years ago
Skynet
You don't want to work survive, but you don't like those who you think don't have to work to survive. You want to debate, and you want to win, but you don't want anyone to keep score.
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
"There you have it. If there were no more rich people or economic systems (i.e. you're the last person on Earth), Pro thinks no work would be required to survive."

There would be so much canned food and resources that I wouldn't have to work to survive.

If I were the FIRST person on Earth, it may be different.
Posted by Skynet 2 years ago
Skynet
"I guess that gives me the win....somehow I don't think you'll agree."

But in the heat of battle...
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
So far, all my debates that did not allow voting were much more civil and satisfying.
Nobody thinks they are wrong.
The comment section on my debates provides extensive opinions and facts to consider from users. That's much more useful than a vague vote.

"A good voter will explain where you had a flaw in your logic, and do the same for your opponent."
Well I haven't had many good voters, but many good commenters.

"You don't have to let the losses or wins drag you down or make you arrogant."
Exactly! That's why I don't allow votes. That has nothing to do with arrogance and everything to do with fairness. What's unfair about a tie?
Posted by Skynet 2 years ago
Skynet
I read your profile about the voting thing. Look, you don't have to let the losses or wins drag you down or make you arrogant. A good voter will explain where you had a flaw in your logic, and do the same for your opponent. Yeah, there's a lot of idiots...well, everywhere, but filtering out good criticism will improve your debating skills. You ought to have an open mind to other people's opinions. As it is, we may both leave KNOWING that we're both right in our own minds. If you are interested in spreading the truth, isn't it a good idea to check your against criticism to make sure it holds up?
Posted by Skynet 2 years ago
Skynet
So how are winners chosen?
Posted by nonprophet 2 years ago
nonprophet
Voting is not allowed
Posted by Skynet 2 years ago
Skynet
What are the ELO restrictions on voting?