CAPLlock
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus

The American media (video games and music etc) affect children

CAPLlock

Pro

Rules:
Con must prove that the media dont affect children using prove and stats.
I must show a way how it does.
Con AND i must be reasonably debate.
I must use at least one example ( 40%- or more affected)
I must show it was the media ,rather, then outside causes

These are the rules. Next post is appectance.
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus

Con

Well, this is a bit of an odd topic to argue and debate on, since there is no way to prove that any form of media has any affect on a person. I will, however, do my best.

As I said before, because there is no way to prove this, scientifically or otherwise, I will be using every website available to me via good 'ol Google. I also predict that there will be no winner. Let us begin.

Personal Experiences and Stories:
I have heard of a few convicted murderers, arsonists, and other such criminals (only being in their teenage years) blaming video games for their behavior and actions. I do not think that is the case. They just needed something to blame. They chose to do whatever they did by their own free will, not from the influence of some video game. Whenever I play Call of Duty, I don't just get up, find a gun, and go on a killing spree because virtual killing bores me. I like Call of Duty because it gives my wonderful human mind the pleasure of causing another person harm WITHOUT actually doing it to them. I honestly could never even consider killing a person unless my own life was threatened, as I'm sure many people feel the same. My friend and I even practice knife fighting sometimes, using fake knives of course. We don't even hurt each other, it's just fun for our hairless monkey brains.

Research (Google):
Let us look at the atom bomb. The atom bomb was an outrageous scientific break through; the splitting of an atom. Now, what did the United States do? We didn't try to harness the energy created, no we didn't. In fact, instead of using this discovery to better human life, we used it to destroy thousands of people almost all at once. (Opinion: I don't think the U.S. even considered using this for good.) Another good example is the Holocaust. Hitler, despite his amazing ability to debate and his skills in politics, he was a bit insane. He killed millions of Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, elderly, black and disabled people for a reason that is still unknown today. All the people that worked for him were just as bad. That's like a thousand little Hitlers running around doing big Hitler's bidding.

ProCon:
The media. I honestly believe that humans are destructive by nature, some are just lucky enough to be born with some sense, moral values and self control. The media gives the public ideas on how to do these things, maybe things for the human mind to ponder while driving to work or taking a leisurely stroll. The news doesn't tell people to do horrible things, it just reports the horrible things that have happened. Video games don't tell kids or adults to do bad things, they just simulate it for our default human pleasure.

I know it's a little short, but these are my arguments. I look forward to seeing what Pro throws at me. Good luck!

http://www.helium.com...
CAPLlock

Pro

CAPLlock forfeited this round.
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus

Con

All of my arguements stand as is.
CAPLlock

Pro

--All the people that worked for him were just as bad. That's like a thousand little Hitlers running around doing big Hitler's bidding.--
Hitler saved Germany. It was like America today. That aside, heres is the other part that stuck up.

--Video games don't tell kids or adults to do bad things, they just simulate it for our default human pleasure.--
Now this is the irony kicks in. If you lived back enough to see old movies, if the movie swore once,(I'm not really wanting to Google it) it was a R rated movie. Why is that? Well, we get used to it. We can watch it and think nothing of it.

--some are just lucky enough to be born with some sense, moral values and self control--
It's not luck. Remember this is CHILDREN we're talking about. If you want Con Jr. to be a angel, you need to as such.

--Whenever I play Call of Duty, I don't just get up, find a gun, and go on a killing spree because virtual killing bores me. I like Call of Duty because it gives my wonderful human mind the pleasure of causing another person harm WITHOUT actually doing it to them. --
Thats because your not under certain conditions. If a certain violent person gets a certain emotion like stress he might do something unlawful. Then that starts a cycle. Think. If you were a bad person, you'll might raise a rotten apple.
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus

Con

Thank you for your arguments.

When you said "Hitler saved Germany. It was like America today.", I think that you didn't read the other parts of my argument. I said "Hitler, despite his amazing ability to debate and his skills in politics, he was a bit insane." I included his success and skills in the political world, but mainly focused on a lot of the bad things he did.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

For the next part, you said, "Now this is the irony kicks in. If you lived back enough to see old movies, if the movie swore once,(I'm not really wanting to Google it) it was a R rated movie. Why is that? Well, we get used to it. We can watch it and think nothing of it."

I happen to know, own, and watch many movies from the 1970's and such that are rated PG and contain many words and references neither me nor my father expected to hear. It included drug use, explicit language and some blood and gore. If anything, America has become more aware of the growing violence and is trying to stop it. Violence that has been started from bad parenting, growing up in a bad environment, etc.

3rd part, you said "It's not luck. Remember this is CHILDREN we're talking about. If you want Con Jr. to be a angel, you need to as such."

Again, not entirely true. There is some luck to the child game. If I wanted my kid to be an angel, It doesn't truly matter how I act or what I do. If I encourage him to do what I do, then yes, he will most likely follow my path. If I am a bad parent and, say, beat him regularly or just treat him horribly, he may decide to get revenge on me by showing me how to be a good parent. He may decide to grow up as a horrible human being full of anger toward me. It all depends on what HE decides. America's youth is getting dumber by the generation, so it's harder to find good people and decent kids.
But I for one am a one of the good kids. I have lived around drugs, violent/bad media, and bad kids. I have not done a single drug, not been influenced by the media, and not followed the bad kids path. My dad is a good person and tries to keep me away, but exposure to these things is almost imminent. If there is any influence from bad media and such, it is because of stupid kids and the result of parents not pushing them hard enough.

Now, as for toddlers and babies... What parent in their right mind would show their children bad media? Maybe not babies, but toddlers will probably be influenced by bad media. If they are shown this at a young age and continue to be exposed to it, then yes, some influence is almost imminent, but only because the parents allowed their children to be exposed to it at such a young age. There is a reason for movie and video game ratings. The reason being that influence in children can be possible if exposed to bad/violent media, but as kids age, they are less easily influenced from bad things.

4th and final part, you said
"Thats because your not under certain conditions. If a certain violent person gets a certain emotion like stress he might do something unlawful. Then that starts a cycle. Think. If you were a bad person, you'll might raise a rotten apple."

How do you know this "certain violent person" wasn't born with some disease that hinders learning, or brings out violence? Maybe he is bipolar. You also say it starts a cycle. Unconnected with your last comment in the quote, I take that as me seeing someone rob a bank, and then me going and robbing a bank, just because he did it. Connected to your last comment, I kinda explained that in the 3rd part. But even if I, as a parent, raise my kid "well", he may rebel against my good teachings and do wrong using reasons to blame me such as "You never let me do anything" or "My friends get to do it! Why can't I?".

What I'm trying to say is, it is not necessarily the media's fault, it is the parent's fault for allowing the child to watch/participate in these things. We provide ratings on our media because we are trying to fight bad influence and hope that parents will go along with the ratings. They are there for the protection of the children.

Also, please add something for me to argue, don't just pick parts of my argument and comment on them. Thanks.

CAPLlock

Pro

CAPLlock forfeited this round.
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus

Con

My arguments stand as is again.
CAPLlock

Pro

CAPLlock forfeited this round.
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus

Con

My arguments stand as is. Good luck during the voting round!
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
Yeah sorry...
Posted by Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus 5 years ago
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus
The debate will be in the comments... Okay I guess.
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
Im VERY busy. so the debate will be in the comments
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
oh sorry i was busy... post it in the comments and i take care of it.
Kung-Fu_Action_Jesus
How can I post an argument to nothing I have to argue?
Posted by TheParasite 5 years ago
TheParasite
Good luck on you're first debate Jesus, especially on this topic!
Posted by Zealous1 5 years ago
Zealous1
Good luck Kung Fu. Even Danielle couldn't win this ;)
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
Thank you Kung Fu Jesus
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
well thats the debate as it stands
Posted by boredinclass 5 years ago
boredinclass
This is possibly the easiest debate to win ever. I mean really. It is easier than having your opponent forfeit all rounds and then in the comments telling everyone to vote for you. The only way someone could win this is if they were joking